Television Tab

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Anthony Atamanuik's impersonation destroys Baldwin's. Baldwin's was good...until Atamanuik showed up. I can't really watch the SNL bits now, because quite frankly Alec Baldwin's version sucks.

Anthony Atamanuik

Mr. Voicemail

Let the night air cool you off
The Young Pope - Episode 1

The first episode of serial dramas can be tough at times, because it's an hour of a forced introduction. It's not easy to pull off, but I like the way it's handled in the first episode of The Young Pope. We are introduced to our main character with a dream sequence, and I am already behind this show because I just watched The Sopranos, and the dream sequences in that show are some of my favorite things about it. So, this is starting the show off on the right foot. Jude Law crawls out from under a massive pile of babies, walks through an oddly aligned group of members of clergy to address a massive congregation outside. Standing from his balcony, he divinely parts the clouds and dispels the rain so that a heavenly beam of golden sunlight can touch him as he delivers a speech that no other pope has given. From there we see some of his feelings manifest, and the dream ends with perhaps Belardo's, Jude Law, The Young Pope, feelings of animosity towards the members of the clergy trying to run the show by way of influence and manipulation being shown. I'm already sold on this character at this point, and the rest of the episode acts as simultaneous introductions of other characters and more of Belardo's personality. We see characters discussing the manipulation of Belardo so as to get their way, and it's implicitly inferred when another member of the clergy has a meeting with the Pope. But this Pope is not like one they've reckoned with before. He's cold, seemingly harsh, and this mysterious air about him making him an intriguing character that I am looking forward to following. The final scene with Belardo's confession to Father Tomasso on the roof was well done, but I do have to wonder why it seems like all the other characters are so naive about this Pope.

Saw the first two episodes of Taboo. I really like it so far, but is it just me or is the editing really weird on this show?

The Young Pope - Episode 2

The first episode started with a legitimate dream sequence, which is the perfect tone setter for this series so far. Episode 2 feels like a dream sequence, but it's nothing of the sort. With this being a show dealing with religion, the Catholic church, and God it makes sense the way the lighting seems to be heavenly at times. The lighting is reminiscent of the first scene of the show where the clouds part for the Pope while he addressed the masses. Then when he chooses to make his address without light with only his silhouette visible in stark contrast to his dream and the lighting of the show, it makes it seems like a nightmare for everybody involved except our protagonist. Furthering the dream like state of affairs is the kangaroo. A lot of this show almost seems like it's not even happening. There's a uniqueness to this show that, though I've only seen two episodes, make it stand out. The characters are also interesting, or at least fascinating in their interactions. This pope's stances are hard-line in a way that would ruffle feathers of those who think the church should "modernize" at the expense of their doctrines. I know this character is supposed to be a bad guy, but I like that he treats most everyone the same whether they are favorable or unfavorable characters.

Twin Peaks (1990 - 91) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

The Young Pope - at least

It's unlike any other show I've seen. It's weird, gorgeous, stylish, and features an intriguing, although unrealistic, main character played very well by Jude Law. It's not really all that similar to Twin Peaks, but for some reason I kept thinking of Twin Peaks while I was watching it. I think, perhaps, the reason why is that it's so unlike other shows that it shares that quality with Twin Peaks. I think maybe its only flaw is that it's so unrealistic at times it can be distracting, but that also helps cultivate its bizarre qualities. Something that stuck out to me is that the show's lighting is divine and supposed to make us think of the divine, so it does its job and looks gorgeous for it. We need more shows that are as brave, confident, brash, bold, and unique as this one.

Watched the rest of Season 2 and the first episode of Season 3 of Boardwalk Empire.

Was terrible, it's not a good show man. Sorry, for the false getting into it posts; i mean i definitely was but it was about a subject i'm really into from some of the people involved in my favourite show/piece of media (The Sopranos) so of course i was into it.

@jiraffejustin Don't watch Boardwalk Empire. At least not before the million better shows that are more worthy of your attention.

It's not a good show at all, it has an amazing cast and historical detail/production design, that's it. I'll happily make a really long post about it that no one will read but yeah it's not a good show.

Dang. That sucks, because it has the look of a show that could be incredible.
Dunno. Maybe you'll get something more out of it than me. I think after i stopped watching it the first time after the first season, i barely heard of it and there was good reason for that.

It has so much potential at all times and maybe it gets incredible from Season 3 Episode 2 on but up to then i wasn't impressed and i was kind of forcing myself to watch it after a while.

@jiraffejustin Don't watch Boardwalk Empire. At least not before the million better shows that are more worthy of your attention.

It's not a good show at all, it has an amazing cast and historical detail/production design, that's it. I'll happily make a really long post about it that no one will read but yeah it's not a good show.
I love Steve Buscemi so was always going to watch BE but I lost interest going into series 2. I realised I was watching it for Margaret's dresses more than I was interested in it as a whole, so I thought that was time to stop! I hope whoever did the costumes for that series got loads of awards. My brother loved the whole series tho so tastes differ as always

Trying to get through series one of Pretty Little Liars, up to episode 13 so far and it's a right chore to get through! Don't think I will be moving onto series 2...

Watched the rest of Season 2 and the first episode of Season 3 of Boardwalk Empire.
I have zero interest in Prohibition, but watched this show for Steve Buscemi. Actually got through a few seasons, but eventually bailed out. It got to the point where there were too many characters & I didn't know who they were. Wonder how it ended?

Found the complete box set that includes the mini series and Razor on blu-ray really cheap so decided to give this series ago, watched the mini series over the last two nights and ready to start series 1 now. So far I'm really enjoying it, thought I'd be bored stiff.

The Wire [Season 1] -

The Wire [Season 2] -
+

I couldn't find it after a lazy search on youtube, but the cold open to episode 11 is one of my favorite moments of tv ever. I don't want to be too spoilsy, but I'll just say it is the aftermath of a shooting on the episode prior. The camera moves throughout the chaos of several agencies combing the crime scene. It's one shot, one fluid motion showing us how this particular shooting was way different than the other ones in the series. Plus it is just good camera work, marking, and acting.

Just to say The Handmaid's Tale is a tour de force of adaptations . Already an absorbing and thought provoking book, the tv series has been adapted to reflect the bang up to date present. It's prescient, entertaining, coldly observant, well acted. Can't wait for series 2.

Just to say The Handmaid's Tale is a tour de force of adaptations . Already an absorbing and thought provoking book, the tv series has been adapted to reflect the bang up to date present. It's prescient, entertaining, coldly observant, well acted. Can't wait for series 2.
I agree. It moves on now from where the book ended. Worry that it won't be as exciting as season 1.

The Wire [Season 1] -

The Wire [Season 2] -
+

I couldn't find it after a lazy search on youtube, but the cold open to episode 11 is one of my favorite moments of tv ever.
Eppy 11 of which season? I would like to find the scene you are talking about.