The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Anyone know anything about how to play twisted metal 2 between 2 computers in different locations? I have zero knowledge of online gaming. What do I need to do something like that, ...equipment, etc?

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've not played Twisted Metal 2 in 20 years, and even then it was the PS1 version.

There might be some kind of software which tricks the game into thinking an online multiplayer match is taking place over your local network. I used one 10 years ago for a few days, but can't remember what it was called. Tunngle seems to be the popular one these days.

https://www.tunngle.net/en/

there's a frog in my snake oil
Attention Everybody!

What was your one big takeaway from E3 2017?

In all reality I should probably be a Switch gamer.
That I really want VR, that I really can't afford VR, and that they really didn't talk about VR very much...

I did stumble onto this old quote regarding the old Fallout VR demo though....

I did manage to earn a laugh from my chaperone by picking up a nearby hard hat and trying to place it on my own head. Sadly, that’s not how equipment works in Fallout VR
That so should be how it works. And the gaming world can come full circle, when you place a metal pot onto your head that's far too large, and can no longer see NPCs...

Finished The Infectious Madness of Dr Dekker.

The game's not perfect by any means, and its text parser needs a lot of work, but it's clever, well acted and once you get past chapter one, decently paced. That it was made by a team of three - The director, the director's wife and the director's brother (who did the coding, the other two wrote it) - is kinda remarkable.

Tim Cowles, the man behind it, and his wife are veterans of the live action murder mystery game scene but are novices at making video games. It shows in places but there's some real promise here - I listened to a podcast with him and apparently the game's sold well enough to cover everyone's expenses and, most important of all, time.

I'm intrigued to see if he'll try something like this again.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Sounds like the Venture Bros. production model.

A system of cells interlinked
This guy...

...is a beating.

Definitely the hardest fight so far. Punishing combos combined with off-speed movement. Took me many, many attempts. Game is getting harder now.

It saddened me when I heard that Square Enix had put IO Interactive (the Hitman guys) up for sale - Season 2 was apparently in the bag and just needed some final polishing. I feared yet another talented studio being broken up and its members scattered to the four winds.

Well, thanks to a management buyout, IO is now a fully functioning independent studio with rights to the Hitman franchise. I'm not saddened any more.

To mark this, they've released the first Hitman map for free on multiple platforms so there's literally no excuse not to try what some people have called the best game of 2016!

I feel chagrin that I seem to have dipped into the most generic of the DS franchise. I liked DS2 a lot, but the bosses did strike me as samey, and I missed the organic world twists told of in lore. Maybe 3 will be for me one day...

---

Now, can someone tell me what the hell is going on. Early Access games actually hitting launch date? This must be some kind of trick...

This is wrong and unnatural.

(Hell, even Half Life is almost finished. It's not right!)

---

In actual games that are kinda games news:

Now that IO have pressed their own on button, the Hitman prologue chapter is getting released as a free demo. Sweet

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Played some Killing Floor 2. Survival mode and got to Round 10 before being completely annihilated. Fun game when you have friends, I imagine it would be pretty basic/boring without them. It was free for this month, so no complaints.

Still rocking the league of course.

Saturday I went to my uncles and tried the PS4 VR. Rush of Blood, which is a carnival rollercoaster shooter game. Then I decided to try the DEMO game, which include THUMPER and some tank battle game. Being inside the tank was fun, really immersive. THUMPER was a trip. I remember it being mentioned here and was tempted to buy it, but held out. Tried it in VR now I don't know if I want to buy the regular game at all. I'd rather the VR one of course.

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
I feel chagrin that I seem to have dipped into the most generic of the DS franchise. I liked DS2 a lot, but the bosses did strike me as samey, and I missed the organic world twists told of in lore. Maybe 3 will be for me one day...
You must try DS3! The world building is much better, and most of the bosses are well done, with a couple of exceptions. I like DS3 almost as much as DS1, and only because the series was new to me when I played the first one. DS3 is aces, for sure.

Anyone interested in the Steam Link?

Personally, I think they're excellent and by far the handiest way to play PC games (from your gaming PC) in your living room. I wouldn't play anything more intense than a point and click adventure game wirelessly, but if you've got a long network cable, router in your living room or a Powerline adaptor, input lag really isn't noticeable. If you confine yourself to controller enabled games (or hook a keyboard and mouse up to the link, I guess), you don't need to bother with the iffy Steam controller. The Link accepts most of the common console controllers natively now.

It's $15 on Amazon today. And no, that's not an affiliate url - I'm posting this because I love you all and want you to save money.

Not just US shipping either - The shipped price to me in Ireland is £18, compared to Amazon UK's £38.99.

EDIT - GAME.co.uk are selling them for £11.99 now. I wonder if there's a Steam Link 2 in the works or they're just competing with Amazon? I doubt there'll be a new model, though - All the Link has to do is stream from PC to TV via your router. It's not a games machine itself.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm actually sticking to Dishonored 2 (just finished the clockwork mansion level). I seem to be enjoying this one a little more than the first one even though it really is more of the same, but I suppose that's better than Mankind Divided feeling like a lesser Human Revolution.

On a Castlevania Symphony of the Night kick lately. Excellent game that I haven't beat yet.
I think SOTN holds up as well today as it did 20-odd years ago. Don't think there has been a better 2D action game.

I've been playing a lot of Dead Cells recently, and keep wishing there was a bit more Castlevania and a bit less Roguelike in it.

Well I was far too primed for this Steam Sale... Gots these:

Pulsar Lost Colon:

Warhammer Vermintide:

More co-op, this time in a Left 4 Dead 2 vein, but with rats. And hammers. Probably some war too.

And um...

Crayon Physics Deluxe:

---

Many other things are fandangling at me, but I've got such a backlog of goodies I ain't going there. I ain't!

(The liesss)

Did you pay via PayPal, young G?

Paypal UK has a special on where you spend £20 on Steam and you get £5 off.

https://www.paypal.com/gb/webapps/mp...=XRXGCRUFQMATS

I'd have used it on The Sexy Brutale and Formula Fusion, had the site not taken a dump. I'll try later, but got as far as Paypal saying the offer had been accepted, so it works.

Did you pay via PayPal, young G?

Paypal UK has a special on where you spend £20 on Steam and you get £5 off.

https://www.paypal.com/gb/webapps/mp...=XRXGCRUFQMATS

I'd have used it on The Sexy Brutale and Formula Fusion, had the site not taken a dump. I'll try later, but got as far as Paypal saying the offer had been accepted, so it works.
Gah I didn't! But I'm bound to spend another £20 so this will come in useful