Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

As furiously funny and wildly relentless as ever, WOWS is a movie I love to love and hate to see hate for. Why? Because people criticise the movie for following through on exactly what it sets out to do and that's weird to me. "I hate it because it glorifies sex, drugs, violence and economical fraud" YES. Exactly, that is the entire point. The movie places you as an associate to everything that goes on and then pulls the rug from under you in the end where you suddenly feel so very guilty for having so much fun the entire time - exactly as it is the case with the characters. I love that and Scorsese did it in a very professional and well thought-out way. And also, watching a man in his 70s make such a wild, exciting and batsh*t crazy piece of filmmaking REALLY proves the kind of talent this man has, perhaps even more than some of his all-time greats...

++

“I was cured, all right!”

One of my favorites!

Asura: The City of Madness
One of the best Crime/Thrillers of the modern era!

"It's a good scream!"

The most violent samurai film directed by Hideo Gosha!
It's incredible!

Garbage

Amy Adams = ROBOT
The rest of the cast was great, but this film was predictable as hell!
The dialogs, oh God, so cliche:
-You're just like me.
- We're not alike.
- You'll see!
Ok...

John Wick 2 (2017)

Does it really have to be armies of people that have to be killed? It would just seem like an unlimited number of nameless and faceless henchman whose sole purpose is to get shot down. There were times it seemed more like a war movie or a superhero movie than an action movie. To me, there was no tension, and that's where the greatest thrills come from. Even a grand scale action movie like Die Hard, there's a clear set of bad guys as targets, and for the most part they have some sort of distinguishing characteristic. It wasn't all bad. Some of the action was entertaining, and I always like Keanu Reeves. I also thought some of the settings were cool. I noticed some CGI in the beginning and I thought that looked terrible. It was ok, comparable to the first movie.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

The most violent samurai film directed by Hideo Gosha!
It's incredible!

Cool. I'll track this one down and watch it. Right now, 13 Assassins is my top Samurai flick. Sad to hear about Nocturnal Animals. I've not seen it yet. Had high hopes. I'm not sure what to expect of it though.

The only Antonioni I ever liked was "Il Gido" (Outcry) -- is this a good one? Or is it slow as hell?
Slow as hell.

Also realized i posted this in the wrong thread, was supposed to be Movies Youre Watching Tonight

Amusing, strange little movie. First film from Finland for me.

Second viewing of this excellent movie. Series of the same name is even better.

Ugh. So tiresome. Bailed out quite quickly. Zero rating.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

As furiously funny and wildly relentless as ever, WOWS is a movie I love to love and hate to see hate for. Why? Because people criticise the movie for following through on exactly what it sets out to do and that's weird to me. "I hate it because it glorifies sex, drugs, violence and economical fraud" YES. Exactly, that is the entire point.

++
I'm sorry, but I disagree with You. I don't like this movie, because it is about nothing, IMO. I've seen a lot of movies about, let just say, hedonism, which were funnier, more interesting or just shorter. WfWS is nothing new for me

I'm sorry, but I disagree with You. I don't like this movie, because it is about nothing, IMO. I've seen a lot of movies about, let just say, hedonism, which were funnier, more interesting or just shorter. WfWS is nothing new for me
It is a biopic about a man and his life as much as any other biopic, say Capote, The Social Network, The Aviator, Ray etc. This guy just happens to **** and screw people over, figuratively and literally, through his rise to fame and down again - how does that make the movie about "nothing"? It's true to the story and Scorsese and DiCaprio tells us the story as it was, more or less, and with great expertise.

Just because you don't like sex, drugs and rock n' roll as a "subject", so to speak, doesn't automatically make it a bad movie because you'd rather want to see something, say, more "elegant". It's fine if you don't like it, of course, and that you don't find it funny or interesting is subjective and the length is a little much, but saying the movie is about "nothing" is as hollow as the word itself...

OOOOHHH!!! I actually kinda loved that when it came out, and it came out during the time I disliked Ben Affleck.
I've never really been into Ben Affleck either, but he was really good in this, up there with his performance in Hollywoodland, which I still think is his best work.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
It is a biopic about a man and his life as much as any other biopic, say Capote, The Social Network, The Aviator, Ray etc. This guy just happens to **** and screw people over, figuratively and literally, through his rise to fame and down again - how does that make the movie about "nothing"? It's true to the story and Scorsese and DiCaprio tells us the story as it was, more or less, and with great expertise.

Just because you don't like sex, drugs and rock n' roll as a "subject", so to speak, doesn't automatically make it a bad movie because you'd rather want to see something, say, more "elegant". It's fine if you don't like it, of course, and that you don't find it funny or interesting is subjective and the length is a little much, but saying the movie is about "nothing" is as as hollow as the word itself...
Ok, maybe J. Belfort's story of life wasn't as interesting for me, as Capote's or Ray's. I'm not saying that Scorsese wasn't focus on detail during shooting this film - it unfolds 3 hours, not without reason.

Just because you don't like sex, drugs and rock n' roll as a "subject",
??? I like
for example "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" or "Last days". Does it count? I would say these are less "elegant", than the WfWS.

My opinion is absolutely subjective but You wrote, that people don't like this movie because of it's subject, despite they knew what it would be about. I had known the subject of this movie and it didn't help.
I don't disagree with Your opinion about the movie, but with Your reason, why they don't.

And about "nothing" word - I saw WfWS about 2 years ago and I can't remember any particular scene from it. Nothing make me impressed. If I watch Scorsese's film, I want to be suprised, affected or interested, not bored.

Like You've said, that's my subjective opinion.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Ok, maybe J. Belfort's story of life wasn't as interesting for me, as Capote's or Ray's. I'm not saying that Scorsese wasn't focus on detail during shooting this film - it unfolds 3 hours, not without reason.

Just because you don't like sex, drugs and rock n' roll as a "subject",
??? I like
for example "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" or "Last days". Does it count? I would say these are less "elegant", than the WfWS.

My opinion is absolutely subjective but You wrote, that people don't like this movie because of it's subject, despite they knew what it would be about. I had known the subject of this movie and it didn't help.
I don't disagree with Your opinion about the movie, but with Your reason, why they don't.

And about "nothing" word - I saw WfWS about 2 years ago and I can't remember any particular scene from it. Nothing make me impressed. If I watch Scorsese's film, I want to be suprised, affected or interested, not bored.

Like You've said, that's my subjective opinion.

I agree... Awful movie.

I've never really been into Ben Affleck either, but he was really good in this, up there with his performance in Hollywoodland, which I still think is his best work.
I should rewatch Hollywoodland as I was still annoyed by his face back then Thanks for the rewatchspiration!

The Fountain (2006) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.