Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

I think Night and Fog is the best film i've ever seen. Both that and Hearts of Darkness are top five docs for me. Glad you liked them so much.

I despised Girl, Interrupted. Couldn't tell you why tho as i watched it about a decade ago.

#73 - Wild Tales (2014) ~ June 18

This is a really cool Argentinian film that consists of six "wild" stories that somehow are related to the concept of "revenge". It was nominated for a Best Foreign Film Oscar back when it came out and it's easy to see why it's been so popular ever since. It's a wildly entertaining flick with a great cinematic rhythm! I didn't expect to have so much fun with this one.

#74 - The Rules of the Game (1939) ~ June 18

This film constitutes another great milestone in my cinematic development, as this was my first Jean Renoir film experience!
It's a genuinely alive piece of stunning cinema and an amazingly rich piece of satire. The deliciously dark final line by the general may be one of my favorite closing lines of all time. Comedy in its highest form.

Master of My Domain
Ah, finally someone else who appreciates The Rules of the Game. Looking back it, my favorite aspect might actually be the superb cinematography!

interesting thread! just brief summary and rating. Nice touch! And I like the list of movies on page 1. It doesn't seem so but you put quite a bit of effort in this I am sure. Will be stopping by to see what movies I missed. Already found some

REWATCH #6 - Jason and the Argonauts (2000) ~ June 19

I used to watch this TV movie (which is about 3 hours long) a lot when I was a kid. My sister wanted to watch it again and I somehow joined and watched the whole nostalgic three hours with her.
If you're into Greek mythology, this is a pretty fun and elaborate experience. I enjoyed it almost just as much as I used to when I was a kid.

#75 - Empire of Passion (1978) ~ June 19

This was my second Oshima experience and it was yet again a glorious one! It's a bit more restraint than In the Realm of the Senses in its graphicality, which proves to me that Oshima knew exactly why and when he needed to show certain things and why and when not.
This particular film takes place in Japan near the end of the 19th century and tells the tale of an older married woman and her younger lover who decide to kill the woman's husband. After three years however, the husband's ghost suddenly appears and their crime starts following them down a path of psychological distress and nightmarish imagery and to make things worse, a detective is at their heels.
This film won the price for Best Director at Cannes and it's easy to see why. The film looks absolutely amazing. There's an almost Ozu-like precision in each frame's visual construction, even though Oshima is nothing like Ozu as a filmmaker. It proves that these two total opposites still looked for that same kind of perfection and did their work with the same amount of passion. Only with those qualities can this kind of high-level cinematic poetry exist. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Oshima's work in the future!

#76 - Requiem for the American Dream (2015) ~ June 20

As usual with Chomsky, I agree with pretty much all the facts he lays out and the observations he's making about how the elite is (whether or not subconsciously) trying to retain its power over the general population by the use of a list of manipulative techniques (it's listed in this doc as "the ten principles of concentration of wealth and power").
I don't agree with his conclusions, though, because, in today's global reality, they can't work in the souvereign context he's proposing. He should perceive the problem more globally, instead of solely focusing on America (even though America has of course been a leading factor in today's global economic evolutions).
All in all it's an illuminating documentary (especially for people who happen to be unaware of the concepts he's laying out), but Chomsky should remember that change will have to be global or change won't be.

#77 - Walkabout (1971) ~ June 22

As you can read earlier in this thread, I truly adored the other two Roeg films I watched this year, but Walkabout has to be my favorite of his so far.
It's a stunning tribute to nature and purity. I almost cried during the final scene. The combination of the sound, the image and the poem felt extremely powerful to me. What a beautiful film this is!

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

Unregistered User
#77 - Walkabout (1971) ~ June 22

As you can read earlier in this thread, I truly adored the other two Roeg films I watched this year, but Walkabout has to be my favorite of his so far.
It's a stunning tribute to nature and purity. I almost cried during the final scene. The combination of the sound, the image and the poem felt extremely powerful to me. What a beautiful film this is!

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

Personally, I preferred Don't Look Now but there's not much between it and Walkabout, it really is a beautiful film. Really want to see Roeg's Bad Timing, I think I'll love that.

REWATCH #7 - The Graduate (1967) ~ June 23

It was on TV, so I couldn't not watch it. Still one of the most stunningly directed and atmospheric films ever made, in my view.

Someone nominated Wild Tales for the Comedy Hall of Fame that went bust, and then I forgot about the movie. I'm putting it on my watchlist now.

Walkabout is awesome and I have Roeg's Bad Timing on my watchlist.

REWATCH #8 - Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) ~ June 24

This was on TV and I randomly kept watching it. Angelina used to be such an incredibly sexy woman! This mediocre film is only worth watching because she's so insanely gorgeous in it.

REWATCH #9 - La Grande Vadrouille (1966) ~ July 15

Classic French WWII comedy starring Louis de Funès and Bourvil. It was on TV and I kept watching it for the umpteenth time. Always a pleasure.

Glad you liked Nightmare On Elm Street, have no idea what i'd think of it watching it for the first time now as it was a big part of my childhood. I'd possibly consider watching Nightmare 3 at least too since you liked it as alot think of that as the best one. Some like New Nightmare as well but i'm not a fan.

Just watched Grand Illusion and really loved it so i'll be seeing Rules of the Game soon.

Love The Graduate, i've seen but barely remember Walkabout and don't like Mr and Mrs Smith.

Never seen that but i like Cruel Intentions which is a modernized adaptation of the novel. Wouldn't say it's great or anything but it's entertaining and nostalgic for me as it was my sisters favourite at one point.