Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Emma (1996)

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

If this isn't a movie that gets better with each viewing, I don't know what is. When you see a movie as many times as I've seen Working Girl, you start to notice things. One thing I really noticed this time around was how Ford, in a performance that is rarely talked about, seems to be having a whole lot of fun making this movie, and another is that the chemistry between he and Griffith seems almost contagious, making the movie really easy to get caught up in. I also noticed the element of both Jack (Ford) and Tess (Griffith) breaking free of deceitful, abusive, manipulative, controlling and, confirmed in at least one case, cheating relationships with Katharine (Weaver), and in Tess's case, Mick (Alec Baldwin). Notice how Katharine treats Tess: she manipulates her with a kind smile, lies to her face and steals her idea, in that order. Notice how Mick treats Tess, as she herself says, like steak, like an object, as if she's only there to serve him. He thinks he can just control her and force an answer after he's just cheated on her. Notice the way Katharine treats Jack. She is very forceful. Notice that she says, "Let's merge!" as if a marriage is one of her petty business deals. Jack is clearly glad to escape her clutches when he puts down her advances just as forcefully, and when she finally gets her comeuppance. It's also indirectly implied that Katharine may have also cheated on Jack, given a comment she makes about one of her doctors. Also, Tess is so relatable for anyone, male or female. We've all felt like Tess McGill once in a while, tired of being stepped on, tired of someone else taking the credit for what we ourselves actually did, tired of being stabbed in the back, tired of being ordered like steak. We've all had the boss from hell (or in my case, the teacher from hell). For anyone who's ever won? Check. For anyone who's ever lost? Check. And for anyone who's still in there trying? Check again. Working Girl really does, if you want my honest opinion, have something for everyone. One of these days, I'm gonna have to do a full write-up... Eventually. Just remember, "I am not steak; you can't just order me."

Rocky (1976) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Flesh for Frankenstein (1973)

Not your typical Frankenstein, with Andy Warhol being involved in production. In this movie, Dr. Frankenstein is married to his sister, and his goal is to create a man and a woman, in order to start a new perfect race. There's an extra heaping of gore and sex, and the highlights are when they're mixed. It's slow at times, but the oddities and humor make it worth watching.

There's an extra heaping of gore and sex, and the highlights are when they're mixed.
Isn't that usually the case?

movies can be okay...
Nights and Fog (1956) - non-rateable

Who thought it was a good idea to give a playful and upbeat score to what is supposed to be a powerful and horrific subject matter ? I mean seriously, this has to be the poorest scoring decision I've ever seen in my life.

Sure, it isn't as distasteful than deliberately having tragic and depressing music accompanying the presented images, but wouldn't it been better and respectable to leave the viewer with quietude instead of some distracting noise.

I just think that a director should have a much more responsible approach when tackling such content, and by adding a soundtrack, he is in a way forcing his opinion on the audience and trying to create some sort of effect, when the images should speak for themselves.

Sure, an argument could be made that the filmmaker is consciously making a juxtaposition, but again, isn't that in poor taste ? Furthermore, wouldn't that still make the audience aware of the presence of a subjective point he is trying to make ? I thought a documentary was supposed to be objective, in fact, I thought out of all documentaries this specific documentary was supposed to be objective. Well it kinda failed at that.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You make it sound as if the soundtrack consisted solely of Benny Hill theme.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Shining
+

It's always a special experience to revisit a favorite film. Sometimes, the film gets better upon each viewing, and in other cases...not so much.

It definitely holds up, and I can finally see why this film continues to resonate with me so much: world-building. Although it is set in an isolated location (the Overlook Hotel), the location feels as if though it's a character in and of itself. Kubrick was definitely a great worldbuilder, with his attention to detail being second to none. I feel there's little need to mention Kubrick's masterful camerawork, but how can I not. Those steadycam shots of Danny riding a tricycle always leave me in suspense, even if I know what is going to happen next.

Overall, a masterpiece. The finest of all the horror films I've seen thus far.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

(Tim Burton)

I agree unfortunately, Burton didn't showed off this time Too bad, cause I love his movies.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Zero rating. I thought this was supposed to be a good movie? Hated it & bailed out within 30 minutes or so.
Maybe You had bad day for this movie? Try once again sometime...
It is quite particular film. It could be shorter for me, but generally I was impressed