Can I please just get this out - drug addiction is NOT A DISEASE!

Tools    

I don't think that's what the "powerless" step actually means, if only because it's such an obvious contradiction with the idea of recovery (as you pointed out) as to be an incredible oversight, if taken that way. I think it's more about the necessity of a support system, IE: powerless to stop on our own, through sheer force of willpower, without changing the kinds of things that led to it in the first place, for example.
Good point. It is probably meant to mean powerless in this moment while I am in the grip of the height of my addiction because I haven't really begun to get long-term, effective help (but not forever).

Addiction has the aspect of choice in both starting and ending. Diseases do not. No one can choose disease - they may engage in things that increase their odds of obtaining one, but they really can't choose one as some people fail to manifest disease even when exposed to the most virulent or extreme catalysts. And the sad aspect of disease is no one (outside of cases we classify as miracles) can just choose, mentally & emotionally, to end one.
I don't believe I've ever seen a definition of disease that necessitates it being permanent. Do you not consider having the flu to be a disease?

I don't believe I've ever seen a definition of disease that necessitates it being permanent. Do you not consider the flu to be a disease?
Permanence isn't a factor in either classification. Lots of diseases go into remission on their own or with treatment (or in the case of communicable ones, viruses & bacterias are overcome by the body's immune system - the body wins the battle).

I remember my mom's cancer doctor saying that 90% of the population has some type of cancer at one time or another and we're never even aware of it (unless tested at that time) because much of the time it comes and goes without metastasizing, and no one knows exactly how or why.

P.S. Personally, I believe people can affect the progress of disease, mentally and emotionally (depending on how they have their thoughts and emotions conditioned, disciplined and directed), but that falls into the realm of metaphysics right now, as opposed to empirical medical science.

I actually agree with this btw. I don't actually agree with the methods of AA, even though we agree on it being a disease. I think, ultimately, a lot of people need help to get to that point. Like leaning on a crutch until you are well enough to walk on your own, the goal is to do it yourself in the end.

I suppose I'm trying to destigmatize the crutch.
This is part of why I don't classify addiction as a "disease." Addiction can be overcome mentally & emotionally (usually with group or professional help) - in fact, that's the only way it can be overcome (as drug treatments for addiction are another crutch used only to wean an addict off their preferred drug).

The same can't be said for cancer or other diseases - you can't just make the choice to stop taking whatever is causing the disease and choose to not take the substance one day at a time to begin recovery.

Addiction has the aspect of choice in both starting and ending. Diseases do not. No one can choose disease - they may engage in things that increase their odds of obtaining one, but they really can't choose one as some people fail to manifest disease even when exposed to the most virulent or extreme catalysts. And the sad aspect of disease is no one (outside of cases we classify as miracles) can just choose, mentally & emotionally, to end one.
Agree except for one point. Smoking addiction is one of the few addictions that actually benefits from combined behavioral therapy and pharmaceutical treatment (specifically varencicline and to a slightly lesser extent buproprion). Plenty of randomized clinical trials have shown this to be true.

Etoh, heroin, cocaine and the rest are pretty much behavioral.

You ready? You look ready.
I'm addicted to addiction but addiction isn't addicted to me, so does that mean I'm not addicted?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Hmmmm....

What's the point of this thread? It's easy to be hard on people who are already on their low-point in life. Nobody who is addicted is it because it's 'all fun and games'. The problem is that some people are mentally-hardwired to be prone to addiction (which includes many artists). Those and many people with 'aquired' mental illnesses like PTSD (for example rape victims and veterans) take drugs to self-medicate (often because society doesn't care about them) and end up heavily addicted. Instead of pointing at people for being 'weak', society should offer therapy and rehabilitation.

What's the point of this thread? It's easy to be hard on people who are already on their low-point in life. Nobody who is addicted is it because it's 'all fun and games'. The problem is that some people are mentally-hardwired to be prone to addiction (which includes many artists). Those and many people with 'aquired' mental illnesses like PTSD (for example rape victims and veterans) take drugs to self-medicate (often because society doesn't care about them) and end up heavily addicted. Instead of pointing at people for being 'weak', society should offer therapy and rehabilitation.
It's still their choice to take drugs, just like i choose NOT to take drugs. My friend has mental health issues and she hasn't turned to drugs.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
It's still their choice to take drugs, just like i choose NOT to take drugs. My friend has mental health issues and she hasn't turned to drugs.
this doesn't prove anything, except that your friend doesn't have substance abuse problems. it doesn't explain why others in similar situations do.

this doesn't prove anything, except that your friend doesn't have substance abuse problems. it doesn't explain why others in similar situations do.
It's still their own choice to take drugs, we could all turn to drugs when times are hard, but i don't.

A system of cells interlinked
So, people that make healthy and correct choices in their lives should shoulder the burdens of people who make poor choices?

No thanks. I would rather contribute to educating them to make better choices.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Yes i do. I've been through more than most at my age. Not once did i think of doing drugs.
you keep talking about yourself when you talk about drug addiction but this isn't about you. you obviously aren't a drug addict, you can't relate to how it is for them, because believe it or not, not everyone is the same. the fact that you think it's as simple as 'just don't do drugs' proves that

Yes i do. I've been through more than most at my age. Not once did i think of doing drugs.
you keep talking about yourself when you talk about drug addiction but this isn't about you. you obviously aren't a drug addict, you can't relate to how it is for them, because believe it or not, not everyone is the same. the fact that you think it's as simple as 'just don't do drugs' proves that
You're entitled to your opinion and i'm entitled to mine.