Pets

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave her a wonderful life.

Honestly, she gave me a wonderful life
...when I didn't want to strangle her, that is

She was so desperate for cuddly affection. I don't think I will be able to take another pup because of her. I mean that in the best way.

Honestly, she gave me a wonderful life
...when I didn't want to strangle her, that is

She was so desperate for cuddly affection. I don't think I will be able to take another pup because of her. I mean that in the best way.
I know exactly what you mean. But ... somewhere in a shelter is a little dog waiting for a forever home. The numbers are coming down, but there are close to 4,000,000 cats & dogs euthanized every year in America. When your heart has healed maybe you will consider a rescue dog.

Db was lucky to have you, ynwtf. I'm sorry for your loss.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I know exactly what you mean. But ... somewhere in a shelter is a little dog waiting for a forever home. The numbers are coming down, but there are close to 4,000,000 cats & dogs euthanized every year in America. When your heart has healed maybe you will consider a rescue dog.

Yeah =*(
Right now, I would probably take in a stray if I couldn't find the owner. Or if a friend had to give up their pet. Maybe in time...

@cricket honestly your dogs are impossibly cute!

@ynwtf what a wonderful story, you and your mum gave Db a lovely life. It's hard when the time comes but I think as a dog owner you know when it's the right time.

I looked after our next door neighbour's very handsome pup yesterday. Should see the hair on his head blowing in the wind, it's like a shampoo ad

There was a time my old dog would've done his nut if another dog entered his territory, but now he just makes sure the visitor knows his place then he goes back to the sofa

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
We moved on the weekend and our two cats freaked out (as expected) at both ends of the move. Leslie and Baby (both names classic movie references) were in travel carriers while the doors were open and the movers were here, but we let them out when they were gone in between delivering loads. Baby immediately hid under a recliner and tried to climb up into it. Leslie tried to hide too but by the second day here, she was walking around the house and jumping on my bed normally.
Baby before she tried to climb up into the recliner.

Leslie chilling.

An interesting thing happened on the night we moved here. What looked like a small terrier walked up to our front screen door, and when we opened it, he walked in and despite shivering, made himself at home. He had a nice collar but no ID tag. We had to let him out when we went to bed.

Our "new" house was built in 1912 and located in Los Angeles, so I'm no longer "Behind the Orange Curtain."

An interesting thing happened on the night we moved here. What looked like a small terrier walked up to our front screen door, and when we opened it, he walked in and despite shivering, made himself at home. He had a nice collar but no ID tag.
Did your cats not freak out? Poor little dog. Has he returned? God forbid they left him behind.

@ynwtf - really sorry for your loss but always remember you did right by Db right up 'til the very end.

One of our cats (PF) recently had a health scare and is really showing signs of old age now even though he's only 14, I'm already dreading the day we have to make 'that decision' even though touch wood it may still be some years off but like yourself (and I'm sure all good families with an animal member) I'd always choose to carry the heartache for a while rather than see them suffer needlessly.

@Markf - hopefully they are both now content in their new environment. I always remember when our first cat 'escaped' after one of the bloody removal men opened a door they'd been told not to .... that was a harrowing three days before he presumably finally succumbed to hunger, scaled our roof and scrambled down the inside of the chimney.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
First off the cats were still hiding that night - under beds in the back of the house, so they didn't react. Secondly, this house has other people living on the back of the property. Even the owner is living above the garage in the back. There are a lot of houses and apartments on our block. I'm bedridden next to the front window and I see about 20 people a day walk up and down our driveway on the side of the house. The owner was temporarily living in this house before we moved in. No, we haven't seen the dog again, but maybe we will and will learn about his owner/family. I'm under the impression that he's on in years.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
There is a dog groomers near here called Doggie Style. Every time I drive by it, I cringe at the name.
LMAO. A friend of mine a few years ago wanted to open a pet salon with that name. I told her it probably wasnt a good idea.

that was a harrowing three days before he presumably finally succumbed to hunger, scaled our roof and scrambled down the inside of the chimney.
I've always been told that tom cats will come down a chimney in search of a female in heat, but I wasn't sure it was true.

I would give them a try.
I'd call them. Imagine someone answering the phone by saying, "Doggie Style?"

Actually, knowing Cricket, he's already heard such a thing before.

I've always been told that tom cats will come down a chimney in search of a female in heat, but I wasn't sure it was true.
I've no idea as to the veracity of that but he was our only animal at that time so it definitely wasn't a factor on that occasion. On a side note it's quite remarkable just how much mess one rather sooty cat can conjure up

There is a dog groomers near here called Doggie Style. Every time I drive by it, I cringe at the name.
Would I be correct in guessing that any front door to the premise is a mere facade?

I've no idea as to the veracity of that but he was our only animal at that time so it definitely wasn't a factor on that occasion. On a side note it's quite remarkable just how much mess one rather sooty cat can conjure up
I can just imagine. We have a furnace in the basement & frequently have to clean the sooty chimney. There's nothing worse than soot in a clean house.