Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

Sad you didn't like Let The Right One In more. It's still my favourite horror since 2000 and i've seen quite a few now, not really one of my very favourites of its decade even but i'd still call it a film i love. There's definitely nothing you're missing, it's just how much you are taken in by the relationship IMO and i have been more each of the three times i've seen it. Glad you didn't dislike it or anything anyway.

I guess the atmosphere mostly, but it just feels very unique in the canon of vampire films. I think it's a fascinating reaction to past vampire lore, twisting it up in a way that's truly one of a kind. More than that though it's just a great story with great characters, artistically and cinematically told. That's just my opinion, of course.

I guess the atmosphere mostly, but it just feels very unique in the canon of vampire films. I think it's a fascinating reaction to past vampire lore, twisting it up in a way that's truly one of a kind. More than that though it's just a great story with great characters, artistically and cinematically told. That's just my opinion, of course.
The film definitely had a unique atmospheric feeling to it and I definitely appreciated that aspect of it. I liked the more quiet moments in the film a lot.
I guess I just couldn't find anything that made me relate to the film's story. The whole vampire aspect of the film and how it was used left me a bit cold. I didn't really find where the film was trying to go with that whole concept or from which interesting angle they were trying to observe the whole vampire myth.
Maybe I've been exposed to too many modern vampire stories instead of classic vampire tales to truly grasp the originality of this film, though.

Watched that the day after Demme died. Liked it alot too, a crazy ride is the best way to describe it i think. It's nuts how dark it turns, was definitely not expecting that after how it started.

I saw Something Wild at the movies and it's been a bit of a favorite ever since. Ray Liotta's performance is what got him the role in Goodfellas.

#67 - Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (1991) ~ June 11

Fascinating documentary. It's almost ungraspable to me how much work and craziness went into the making of Apocalypse Now (which is probably my favorite war film of all time). Coppola truly is a creative giant. I wish someone with his ambition, dedication and vision would stand up today and make the kind of films he could make in the 1970s. He truly realized some miraculous stuff in those days.

#68 - Cookie's Fortune (1999) ~ June 11

Altman does what Altman does best in this film. He creates his typical relaxed atmosphere by tenderly moving the camera to where it's supposed to move, filling his frames with realistic yet beautifully looking colors, playing some smooth jazzy music over certain quieter moments (most notably the beginning and the end) and keeping the pace leisurely.
The reason why I wouldn't place this film amongst Altman's best work is that even though character and atmosphere do have an important place in this film, there's also still a prevalent plot (with its own twists and turns) that at times keeps the whole thing from completely indulging in those two elements that truly make Altman's films so special. A plot can sometimes distract from the actual good stuff.
This is a minor criticism, though. For the most part, I loved this film with all my heart for the exact same reasons that I love Altman's other work.

#69 - Night and Fog (1956) ~ June 12

A depiction of humanity's darkest hour. It's important to revisit cruel historical events that are unimaginable for our generation from time to time in order to never repeat them. Night and Fog is one of the most breathtaking revisits that we have.

#70 - Street of Shame (1956) ~ June 12

This was Mizoguchi's last film, while also being my first Mizoguchi film experience. Coincidentally, the first Ozu film I watched was also his swan song (An Autumn Afternoon). Street of Shame definitely demonstrated that I might build a very close relationship with Mizoguchi's filmography as well in the future. It's a film full of richness, honesty, humanity and splendid filmmaking!

#71 - Dans la Maison (2012) ~ June 13

This was my second film by Francois Ozon and I'm definitely planning on watching more of his work, as I really like his style so far.
This film in particular may be a bit too obviously self-aware at times for its own good, but then again the self-awareness is applied in a fun way throughout. I can't imagine anyone not having a good time while watching this.

#72 - Girl, Interrupted (1999) ~ June 15

This film had some good performances (especially Angelina's), but overall it was a bit too sappy and typically superficial in its handling of mental issues in order to truly be interesting, in my opinion.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
#70 - Street of Shame (1956) ~ June 12

This was Mizoguchi's last film, while also being my first Mizoguchi film experience. Coincidentally, the first Ozu film I watched was also his swan song (An Autumn Afternoon). Street of Shame definitely demonstrated that I might build a very close relationship with Mizoguchi's filmography as well in the future. It's a film full of richness, honesty, humanity and splendid filmmaking!
I need to see more Mizoguchi. Think I've only actually seen 2, maybe 3.