Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

On a side note, I started Breaking Bad last night. I'm on the 4th episode now and totally hooked. I always thought nothing would come close for me, to The Soprano's but this could be the one.
The first watch of Breaking Bad is amazing. I've found it impossible to rewatch though. Unlike The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, etc, which it never came close to for me.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, rewatching TV drams isn't the most appealing idea. The only one that I've actively considered re-watching is The Wire, and even then I made it about ten episodes into season one before dropping it (though I wouldn't be averse to trying again). Feels like I've got too many shows to watch for the first time instead.

Last movie watched...

Nosferatu (1922) -

Another one of those "don't personally love it but its classic status is undeniable" movies.

Oh wow, can't wait to see that. Have you seen Krisha?
Nope, I've heard it handles some similar themes. Probably going to check it out eventually.

Oh wow, can't wait to see that. Have you seen Krisha?
I was going to leave you a profile comment or send a PM, but you have them turned off, so I guess I have to post it here now.

Funnily enough, when I saw this trailer for It Comes at Night at the theatre a few weeks ago, I couldn't help but think of you because it explicitly mentioned being from the director of Krisha (which is a film I hadn't heard of until you mentioned it in the 2016 Mofo Film Awards thread). The sound work in the trailer actually reminded me of one of the scenes in Krisha, where she's being overwhelmed by everything around her.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go see It Comes at Night or not. I think I might wait for it's video release though. I should probably go see it instead of The Mummy, but I kind of want to see how bad that movie apparently is first hand, because I still think it might be okay.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Top Gun

(Tony Scott)

When I was a kid, I thought Ice Man was the coolest character, it made me a fan of Val Kilmer. Re-watching Top Gun, I can confirm that Ice Man still is the coolest character and one I would have loved to follow him a bit more than Maverick. Top Gun 2 is coming our way, so a re-visit was needed, I probably didn't need to.

Coincidentally, this is the second Val Kilmer movie I watched this month. Maybe I'll do a marathon for him, as I feel he is underrated. His onset drama overshadowed his talents. Kilmer offers us someone who is interesting both in the air and on the ground. The same can't be said for any other character really. That's where Top Gun falls miraculously short. It nails the high-flying action sequences, but crashes and burns when it comes to story and characters. Even the emotional tug on the heart strings when one character bites the dust, isn't enough to shed a tear.

Tony Scott is known more for his visual style than anything else. He's incorporated some interesting camera techniques later in his career. I can't fault him too much for wanting the film to look cool, but it caters to a generic low denominator. It was the biggest hit in 1986, making over $175 million. I'll give someone a cookie if they can guess #2 without looking it up. If you get it right, I'll just assume you looked it up.

I was surprised at how forced and unnatural the romance between Cruise and Kelly McGillis turned out to be. It felt like it needed a bit more push and pull from them, although I will point out that Cruise following her into the women's washroom is a bit much and would be considered stalker-ish. But hey, he's good looking, charming and wearing a uniform,so let's ignore that right?

Top Gun is exciting, but doesn't offer much of anything else, which might be why so many people are digging for some kind of subtext when there is none. Homoerotic undertones I believe was the big debate, but Scott obviously just wanted a film about planes looking cool in the sky. Mission Accomplished.

Suspect's Reviews

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Jared Cohn's indie horror film meshes revenge film with real-life issues that plague teens today. A social media-obsessed teen, struggling with both an eating disorder and being LGBTQ, is filmed doing some of her deeds and the bullying gets worse. She meets a mysterious woman who is revealed to be the Devil, who promises to exact revenge on the bullies, but on one condition (which is revealed in the last ten minutes of the film). Michael Madsen plays perhaps the only sympathetic character (aside from Satan herself), the teen's stepfather. Great death scenes using practical effects mainly and even the love scenes were done tastefully without any required nudity (which is usually expected for these types of films).

One of the most shocking things is that 90's rap group Onyx, known for their hit "Slam", actually appear in the movie playing a party where the bullies see our protagonist doing her "deeds".

Final Rating: B+

movies can be okay...
I am itching to see this, "Krisha" is my 2nd favourite film of 2015 (from what I've seen), and based on that alone, I'm pretty confident that this will be just as great.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Finished here. It's been fun.

Jackie
+

It's a very handsome film, the ost is incredible, and the performances are all really quite excellent; yet, there's something vaguely empty about it. There's a chill running down its core that disables me from giving it a higher rating.

One Million B.C. (1940) - Carole Landis (or Victor Mature for the ladies), cavemen and dinosaurs - it's got them all

One Million Years B.C. (1966) -
Raquel and copious amounts of smut - what more could a man ask for?

The first watch of Breaking Bad is amazing. I've found it impossible to rewatch though. Unlike The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, etc, which it never came close to for me.
I've seen Breaking Bad twice. Can see myself watching it again, but not this year.

Yeah, rewatching TV drams isn't the most appealing idea. The only one that I've actively considered re-watching is The Wire, and even then I made it about ten episodes into season one before dropping it (though I wouldn't be averse to trying again).
I've seen The Wire at least twice & will definitely watch it again. Ditto The Sopranos

The Bib-iest of Nickels

The Devil's Candy clocks out at about an hour and fourteen minutes and is directed by Sean Byrne, the same guy that directed a film called The Loved Ones that I enjoyed. I'll start off by saying that, like his previous effort, Devil's Candy is a well-made and enjoyable horror. The faults are in the little amount of chances it takes from a narrative perspective, everything's mostly mundane and conventional. Little about Devil's Candy actually instilled any new ideas to its concept. The actors are enjoyable, as are the characters they portray, coming off as likable and refreshingly unique from the walks of life we usually see portrayed in horror films. The characters and the film itself is heavily influenced by heavy-metal, but instead of the Rob Zombie approach of making the characters ridiculous, unlikable archetypes, they're actually characters I could get behind and root for. The visual imagery and portrayal of the antagonist, however, made it difficult to invest myself into. The antagonist seems a little cookie-cutter and by-the-books, and most of the scenes involving him carry the same sentiment.

On the bright side though, I will mention that closing fourteen minutes of the film are really entertaining and remind me a lot of what I liked about The Loved Ones, a very balls-to-the-wall approach that wraps everything up well. Even if I didn't absolutely love this film, I thought it was enjoyable and better than most horror films with the same resources. I'd like to see more from Sean Byrne, and I hope I don't have to wait as long for it.

Jason X
. Notorious invincible serial killer Jason Vorhees gets locked into suspended animation, finally putting an end to his killing spree... until some berks find him and then defrost him 400 years later, and ol' Jason's soon back up and killing again, seemingly unperturbed by his new space station environment. The 10th Friday the 13th is the silliest yet, but it knows it, and is actually pretty entertaining tongue in cheek stuff, with some very attractive ladies. Good dumb fun.

movies can be okay...
Babel (2006) -

This would be my second time seeing this, and it is just as great as the first watch, if not better. Alejandro González Iñárritu is one of the best working directors of our time, and so far, he hasn't made a single misstep.