Directors Who Are More Interesting Than Their Work?

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Anything in specific to see? Certain interview?
Anything he's ever appeared in, whether it's a movie, TV show, or interview, is a wonder. I highly suggest watching this interview. I think it gives a good summary on what makes him so fascinating on screen.

With that, I've never been a huge Kevin Smith fan, but he seems like a cool guy. Seems like you could sit down with him for hours, and he'd always have something to talk about. I just wish I got into his movies as much as everyone else did.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
With that, I've never been a huge Kevin Smith fan, but he seems like a cool guy. Seems like you could sit down with him for hours, and he'd always have something to talk about. I just wish I got into his movies as much as everyone else did.
I don't know much about him, but you'd probably love a dinner with George Carlin and others... (maybe when he was filming Jersey Girl?)

I don't know much about him, but you'd probably love a dinner with George Carlin and others... (maybe when he was filming Jersey Girl?)
George Carlin? I don't think anyone would've refused dinner with that guy. They would've been too scared to.

George Carlin? I don't think anyone would've refused dinner with that guy. They would've been too scared to.
George Carlin was in my top five of people I would have liked to sit down at a bar and get drunk with.

Burton is definitely an interesting guy to me. I'll say, however, for whatever reason, his audio commentaries for his films are boring as hell. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had to be the most disinterested I've ever been while listening to a commentary track. I know he's famously a pretty quiet guy, but man, that one was mostly silence. Which is odd, because when he was recently on Leonard Maltin's podcast, he seemed a lot more pumped to talk about his work. Maybe I've just watched the few where he was having an off day, or something.

Burton is definitely an interesting guy to me. I'll say, however, for whatever reason, his audio commentaries for his films are boring as hell. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had to be the most disinterested I've ever been while listening to a commentary track. I know he's famously a pretty quiet guy, but man, that one was mostly silence. Which is odd, because when he was recently on Leonard Maltin's podcast, he seemed a lot more pumped to talk about his work. Maybe I've just watched the few where he was having an off day, or something.
Never heard any of his audio commentaries, but I will say that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is probably his worst film.

Never heard any of his audio commentaries, but I will say that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is probably his worst film.
I like it a lot more than most. Personally, it's in my top five in his filmography, and I rank it higher than the original (even though Gene Wilder will always be the quintessential Willy Wonka to me.)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Oops, I meant to say there is a video on YouTube of Kevin Smith, George Carlin, and others having dinner. I saw it at least a decade ago.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Can't get on board with this one...I think Burton's work is infinitely more interesting than he is. JMO.
Really? I think his beyond films fertileness is as interesting as his movies. He writes poems, paints. I've read he was living separately his wife, when he was married with Helena Bohnan Carter. He was living next door with her. That's rather incongruoulsly.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Really? I think his beyond films fertileness is as interesting as his movies. He writes poems, paints. I've read he was living separately his wife, when he was married with Helena Bohnan Carter. He was living next door with her. That's rather incongruoulsly.
Second thought - You are right Gideon - in the real world his imagination is limited by matter. In his movies isn't

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Kevin Smith's college standup/lectures are hysterical, and I get a lot of must-see older films when watching Quentin Tarantino interviews

David Lynch. His films mostly are interesting but the man himself in interviews is very interesting to me. He almost grants permission to be creative just by thinking about what creativity can be and how to obtain it. Lots of food for thought and a good storyteller/comedian.