Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauldc

Tools    

I think what hurt the film most was it's conflicts weren't all that built up in my opinion. The rowers suing him just didn't feel like it was ever a big deal when it should have been.
Sorry forgot to respond to this part. It wasn't a big deal why would it have been? By that point he was a multi millionaire and he could easily compensate all of them without any trouble, it was again emotions that drove the conflict it was itself unnecessary, ego and resentment at his rejection throughout the film: that elite club being the focus here going by his "i can turn it into my ping pong room if i want" comment. Ego driven as in he was always concerned with his reputation throughout the film and this was fed by Justin Timberlake throughout which was largely why he dropped the more practical and down to earth Garfield, he didn't want to have to admit he stole their idea or push out his business partner. For us looking in the stakes were low but for him they were very important, his image focus is even in the deposition scenes when you see him acting like he doesn't care throughout before he loses himself on a few different occassions and shows that it all does actually mean something to him.

This sort of meaningless conflict happens in real life, Bill Gates while the richest man in the world fought tooth and nail with the government over an antitrust suit as he was bundling his browser free into Windows 95 i think it was to kill off the competion who were selling browsers. This was nothing for Gates it was just him being a savvy businessman not wanting to easily give up an advantage he had. I don't know who accurate the Zuckerberg case was in real life but things like this do happen, i'm with you in wondering where the conflict is for a super rich guy who can easily afford this but there are outside factors that drive these people.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Sad you didn't like it more, agreed with everything Sean said. I don't use Facebook so i thought i'd hate it but it's a great film.

What do you mean by you think they didn't make Zuckerberg the genius that he is? First of all is Zuckerberg a genius? It depends how you yourself define that i suppose and i don't know alot about the guy, he's definitely intelligent and savvy in how he got Facebook going at the right time as well as gutsy in that he rejected megabucks early on from Microsoft to run it himself. Dunno if he is a genius though. And if he is I think that came across in the film anyway, this was clearly a semi-fictional portrayal and Zuckerberg himself said it had to be as his life was not as interesting as this Zuckerbergs. He kind of did come across very intelligent, erratic as well, emotionally stunted and driven by those emotions evidenced by the facemash scene after being dumped as well as his rejection from that elite club whatever it was called can't remember being the main thing that spurred him on to make this a success. I think his character was pretty complex and well done, the writing is outstanding as Sean said.

I actually hate Andrew Garfield in this, he's really whiny and yeah i just don't like him as an actor.
It could just be an Eisenberg problem. Like I said I like the writing too but I'm not a big fan of Eisenbergs performance.

The Game

Much like Panic Room in that this is a thriller I really loved on first watch and probably shouldn't have gone back to it. All the Fincher elements are there. I love the cinematography and simple score. The story is never boring. Knowing where it goes though, there was absolutely no tension at all for me this time around. It lost its bite, and this thriller needs that or the story becomes pretty ordinary quickly. I will still always recommend this to people who like thrillers and haven't seen it.

Only one left for me. Do I have to?

Think with your reassessment of Panic Room and The Game we pretty much completely agree on Fincher, Sean.

Actually you probably like Gone Girl more than me.

I'm going to get to Dragon Tattoo Wed or Thu so I can do a Fincher wrap up. I have enjoyed my Fincher viewing but am also super excited about who we are doing next.

Sorry I haven't finished yet. I still will be, I've been looking forward to rewatching Gone Girl for some time now, and of course finally seeing The Game. I hope next week, I haven't gotten around to a lot of movies lately.

I saw The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in the cinema and was so into it that i bought the Millennium Trilogy (The Girl With Trilogy), i read like five page of The Girl Who Played With Fire and just stopped because it was so terrible. Few months later i watched the film again and it went down quite a bit, i still like it though.
Somehow hvis is very funny to me

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Everything is there for this to be just another solid Fincher pulp thriller. The atmosphere, cinematography, score, and casting are all Fincher-esque in a good way. This story just couldn't be less compelling for me. The main problem for me is I really don't get a great sense of what Lisbeth was born out of, and I really think the film is more than okay with how she violently handles her plight. Maybe I am being a hypocrite because I am not exactly revenge flick adverse. This just reads different to me throughout for some reason. Could be because the violence is handled in such a realistic way, but it doesn't really matter, the story turns me off and I can't help it.

Oh, another problem. did anyone ever care about the main story? Honestly this was my second watch and I didn't even remember most of it. I'm not sure I am meant to care much about it. The draw is supposed to be the two main characters, and they just aren't all that compelling. This is my least favorite Fincher, in a race with Alien3, but I at least understand what Alien3 is trying to be, which gives it a slight edge.

That's it for my Fincher viewing. I will wait till @rauldc14 watches his last two to do my final Fincher write-up.

Gone Girl

Really good crime thriller here. Both my second favorite from Fincher and also my second favorite movie of 2014. The casting was great. I always appreciate Affleck when he is cast correctly. He often gets a bad reputation, but in things like this he's pretty darn good. I also thought Rosamund Pike was spectacular. She really becomes her career and becomes rather frightening. The direction and the storyline is brilliant. And the music and atmosphere are great as well. Fincher is at his best with dark tales such as these.

+

The Game

One of those movies that keeps you intrigued yet not necessarily on the edge of your seat. Not necessarily any standout performances but nothing particularly bad either. I really think the concept was interesting for a film. I think it had a lot of creativity to it. I'm torn with how to rate a film like this and like Sean says I wonder whether a rewatch would make it a better or worse film. Either way it adds an interesting wrinkle to the Fincher resume. The cinematography was pretty darn good as it usually is with a Fincher movie.

That's a wrap for me. Feel free to start the wrap up Sean and sorry for it taking me so long.

Any plans on who you guys are doing next?
I will definitely get to a wrap-up this weekend. Then it's, massive drum roll, Coen brothers with MovieMed. Very pumped about that.

@rauldc14 We used almost the same pic for The Game. I am with you on the movie 100%. It's not a hard watch, it doesn't feel special in any way either. Feel like Fincher is top heavy director for me, but more to come on that later.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
1. Se7en
2. Fight Club
3. Zodiac
4. The Social Network
5. Gone Girl
6. The Game
7. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
8. Alien 3
9. Panic Room

Never seen Button.

Suspect's Reviews