Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I'd actually rather watch another Bourne film with Renner's character as opposed to Damon's.

LOL. I don't even know who that guy is.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
LOL. I don't even know who that guy is.

Jeremy Renner aka Hawkeye in The Avengers.

Suspect's Reviews

Wait Until Dark (1967)

Had not seen this in years, but remembered liking it a lot when I was young. Well, I love it now. Three bad guys are after a doll with heroin sewn inside it, and due to somewhat silly circumstances, it ends up in blind Audrey Hepburn's apartment. So the baddies, played by Alan Arkin, Richard Crenna, and Jack Weston, set up a scenario where they will fool her into believing that Crenna is her husband's old friend while the husband (Efrem Zimbalist Jr.) is out, doing his professional photography thing. The husband has encouraged her to be independent, despite her being blind only a year. But this will be the thing that ensures her survival as she first trusts, then, on her own, realizes that these men are not who they say they are. The big finale, with Audrey fighting for her life against Arkin, is gangbusters. Hepburn and Arkin give the best performances, but everyone does a fine job. Almost a classic, this is fine viewing.

The Other Side of the Door (2016)

By-the-numbers, fairly predictable horror film that still manages to entertain, mainly due to the solid acting by Sarah Wayne Callies and Jeremy Sisto, who play grieving parents still hurting over the loss of their young son in an accident. They still have a younger daughter, but she does little to comfort Callies, who blames herself for her son's death. The couple live in India and their housekeeper clues Callies in on a way to speak to her dead son through "the other side of the door" in an old Indian temple. She's told how to perform the ceremony that will bring him within speaking distance, but to not open the door no matter how much she wants to. And of course, we all know what she does. But then, there wouldn't be a movie if she didn't. Needless to say, bad things happen from there on in and death follows. It's fairly effective as a thriller but I didn't find it scary, just interesting. If you're in the mood for something like this, it's worth the time but you'll probably even figure out the ending. Still worth it for the acting.

A Most Violent Year (2014)

I was completely expecting this to be a gangster film. It's got gangster ties, and often has that feel, but I'd say it's more of a crime/drama, with the crime part being fairly subtle. That's good in that it turned out to be a really fine conservative film, but somewhat bad in that it's not memorable enough to create a legacy. Oscar Isaac is outstanding in the lead role, and while Jessica Chastain is strong as the tough wife, some of her lines were painfully cliched. The supporting cast was terrific. The movie looks good and is engrossing. The action and violence is subdued, yet given the tone of the film, it is very effective when it comes. It's a very good film that I thoroughly enjoyed, even if I don't think it ever had a chance at being truly great.

One of the trailers beforehand was for a movie called Cut Bank. Anybody see that?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Rush - 6/10

I couldn't believe I saw Gregg Allman -- I didn't know he was in a movie. A friend had been trying to get me to watch this for years, and last night I did.

Welcome to the human race...
A Man Escaped -

Damn fine film that makes me really want to watch Rififi again.

Road to Morocco (1942)

The plot doesn't matter. It's a fast paced 85 minutes from the top 100 laughs list. Bob Hope and Bing Crosby kept me amused throughout, and the always great Anthony Quinn had a supporting role. I enjoyed the musical numbers and could have used more, and that's probably the last time I'll ever use those words.

Unforgiven (1992, Clint Eastwood)

Get Out (2017) -

V/H/S 2 (2013) -

The Sixth Sense (1999) -

Creed (2015) -

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Taxi Driver. The music is so dated and irritating, and LOL at Harvey's hippy clothes, but how ripped was DeNiro. Great physique. Still a good watch.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
To be honest, I think I dozed off a couple of times in the middle. Loved the scenes when they were trying to get across the bridge. Also loved the real footage too.
I'm not surprised I admit sometimes a movie can be warranted by one excllent scene But for me this is not this case.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Moonlight

Oscar? Seriously?
Muscular belly makes You a man? I'm not American and maybe that's why I do not undestand what is this about... Sorry...
2/5 for not obvious story.

Taxi Driver. The music is so dated and irritating, and LOL at Harvey's hippy clothes, but how ripped was DeNiro. Great physique. Still a good watch.
Taxi Driver is a brilliant movie.

Moonlight

Oscar? Seriously?
Muscular belly makes You a man? I'm not American and maybe that's why I do not undestand what is this about... Sorry...
2/5 for not obvious story.
I agree. Dreadful movie.

Weird opinions in here. For me Moonlight is one of the best films of the last few years. Absolutely cinematic and brilliant performances.

Red Turtle
Not quite the masterpiece that Kaguya was but a very bold move to make this with 0 dialogue. I admired it more than I lived it, but enjoyed it very much.
8/10

Weird opinions in here. For me Mionlight is one of the best films of the last few years. Absolutely cinematic and brilliant performances.

[
Apologies. Got my movies mixed up. Moonlight is in my Netflix Q still to be seen.

Rushmore (1998) -

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) -

Wes Anderson rules

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Prometheus (2012) (rewatch)

+

I was a lot more enthusiastic when I first watched this when it came out. But, even after rewatching it around 4 years later, I still think it's a fairly enjoyable movie. A prequel to the Alien series prequel to the Alien series is still unnecessary to me, especially with the scope the movie has in comparison to the smart, minimal simplicity the first one had, for example, but it makes for an interesting “what if” scenario if anything.

My main problem is it just doesn't give you enough to fully get you on board with this new chapter in the series. I appreciate that it tries to keep it as straight forward, and easy to swallow as possible. Hell, I think it's a miracle they kept it as together as they did given the themes they were tackling. It gives you a lot of questions that need answered, although I don't they're developed quite enough yet that I'm on the edge of my seat demanding answers to a great extent, the movie demands that a sequel is made to get you more interested in these questions, and answers in a later installment (we'll get to that.)

What else? The visuals are great. Some stuff looks very Alien-y, for sure, but when you see something new it definitely stands out, and it's great to look at. The cast is good, with an expectedly great performance from Fassbender, who takes what Ian Holm did, and gives it a bit more sympathy, but the coldness is still there. It's a great balance that only a great actor like Fassbender could pull off.

In general though, I thought it was a decent start to a new chapter in the series that successfully separated itself from the originals, and I think it's best enjoyed when you have the mindset that it is it's own beast entirely.

Alien: Covenant (2017)

I really had no idea what to expect from this one. Reviews, and pre release info on the movie suggested that it was more similar to the original, hence the title. But it was also a sequel to Prometheus? This could’ve been a mess. But, to my surprise, I had a good time with it, and it exceeded my expectations, but not in the way I was expecting.

First off, this is a full blown Prometheus sequel. Sure, it has the Alien name, and you might be fooled by the first half that it’s back to basics for the series, but it has a lot of oddball tricks up it’s sleeve with that second half. Some of it is more ominous, and “horror-y,” and it does retread certain cues from the classics, But, it remains more narrative heavy, and plays more like pure science fiction, just like Prometheus.

It has the same problems the first one did, granted. You don’t learn too much more about the mythology they’re trying to create with this series, instead focusing on the new crew, and a continuation of the story being told with Fassbender’s character. But, it plays to the same strengths as Prometheus. Fassbender is again excellent not only reprising his role from the original, but as a new character as well, and the the scenes they both have together are effectively uncomfortable. I feel like they went a pretty traditional route in terms of progression of the David character, now an android with a God complex, you’ve seen it before. Again though, Fassbender makes it seem interesting, and fresher than it is.

The rest of the cast does their job. I can’t say they’re as memorable as past crews of Alien movies past, even Prometheus, but they get the job done, I can’t say much more except that they’re perfectly serviceable. Katherine Waterston is a good enough actress that she makes an alright lead that you want to root for, even if the character isn’t particularly interesting.

All in all, with the same great look, and a satisfying, if predictable ending, this one has me even on board for this prequel series. It sometimes gives off a “been there, done that” feeling at times, but for me, it gave me enough of a good mix of the old, and new to rank it slightly higher than Prometheus, I think it’s a better paced, better written film overall, if less ambitious, story wise. I think it’d be hard to recommend if you didn’t like that one, but if you saw potential in it like I did, you just might end up liking it.

A Cure For Wellness

This had some really nice eye popping cinematography and there were scenes I liked but the story never lives up to it's promise and it was not good enough to be two and a half hours bloody long!, not a film I will ever need to see again under any circumstances

WARNING: "." spoilers below
The main character is snooping around this mysterious centuries old institution and never much attempt to stop him... over and over again he goes out of his way to make trouble and in the end he burns the place down.... okay