Vote on the July Podcast Choice!

Tools    

Which movie should we talk about on the July podcast?
58.33%
14 votes
Dark City
41.67%
10 votes
The Prestige
24 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Master of My Domain
Dark City. I'd love to see two cool MoFos analyze one of my favorite films!

You can use my review as a reference.

Voted Prestige, just rewatched it and liked it quite a bit. Dark City faded from memory almost immediately and I really don't have much desire to go back to it.

I've heard good things about both but I voted for The Prestige—mainly because I own it and have been meaning to watch it for a couple years now. This would be a perfect excuse for me to finally get around to it!

I think both would be good, but I think there's a weird thing going on with The Prestige: on one hand, it's packed with the kind of themes, complexity, and symbolism that usually makes for great analysis. On the other hand, because it's packed with all those things, a lot has been said about it already. I'm sure we'd come up with some new angles and catch some new things, but there's a higher-than-usual chance we'd end up retreading a lot of thematic ground that most of you have observed yourselves, or read others pointing out.

So, the very thing that makes The Prestige so good for analysis is the thing that means there's probably less fresh analysis available.

That said, I still think it'd be a fine choice, though for the reason above, I voted for Dark City.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I voted Dark City because I believe it to be under appreciated.

Suspect's Reviews

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I voted Dark City but pretty obvious why

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'd be curious to hear a discussion on Dark City

Pretty close. How long do you keep the poll up, Yods?

Two weeks; closes on the 12th. If we need to lock down the film in advance for any reason, maybe earlier (especially since, after a week or so, most of the votes that are gonna come in will already be in).

Oh derp moi. It clearly states when it closes. Sorry. Will clean my specs.

Yeah, it's a very attractive film.
It is indeed. Dariusz Wolski is great.

Yeah, it's a very attractive film.
I've just rewatched it some 2 weeks ago and did like it so I'm really curious about the podcast. Will you be sending some sort of reminder once the podcast is due?

I've just rewatched it some 2 weeks ago and did like it so I'm really curious about the podcast. Will you be sending some sort of reminder once the podcast is due?
I'll be starting a new thread and probably remembering to bump this one, if you're subscribed.

Also, there's an RSS feed and an iTunes feed, if you use either and want to me reminded directly when it's posted.