President Trump

Tools    

That's peculiar, because I see:

I’m building a wall. It’s an inherent conflict of interest
How does "I'm building a wall" in any way tell you that "absolute" and "inherent" shouldn't be taken at face value?

*sigh* I don't even know what you expect by this point. You wanna somehow wring bigotry from a conflict of interest?
No, it's from the part where the conflict of interest is that he's a Mexican.

Because "race" was involved? I've gone over this. You say I "tried" to explain otherwise. In no way do I believe you've refuted that. I don't know how you can honestly look at the above quote and not immediately understand exactly what is being conveyed.
Well, for starters, you've excised the parts where he mentions the judge's race. Kinda galling that you'd talk this much about context and then exclude the bit the entire disagreement has been about, and then rhetorically wonder how anyone can look at the "above quote" and come to a different conclusion.

Also, race was not "involved." He specifically mentioned the judge's race as being the reason for the conflict of interest. Multiple times.

Now you're assuming what Trump means.
Nope, I'm simply applying context. It works both ways: if it's reasonable to look at how these words are sometimes used by others, you have to also look at the circumstances under which they're used that way. And while people use lots of literally incorrect words for emphasis, they don't usually do so when talking about people's race, questioning their professional conduct, or in semi-formal, written communication, let alone reiterate it later under questioning. This is not something he blurted out and then walked back or qualified, it's something he put out in writing, used more than one adjective for, and then doubled down on again later.

It's not a matter of being against literalism, there are more and less plausible interpretations of any text or speech. It depends on the speaker, what is being spoken, where it is being spoken, and when it is being spoken.
Agreed. And the context of a press release and subsequent defense from someone who's been a public figure their entire adult life should not be compared to the tweets of two random people.

This doesn't contradict anything I've said either, I said this in direct response to the statement:

"being Mexican renders the judge incapable of impartiality, that's what he literally said."

That is false. This never happened. He never spoke those words
Yeah, we did this part already: I pointed out that you can literally say something through logical inevitability, and you (seemingly) agreed.

and we've established that you don't even care what he means.
This isn't true; half the arguments I'm making are still about what he means. And I also think that his intellectual and verbal habits are such that saying he doesn't "mean" a thing isn't saying much, anyway. At minimum, you're left with someone who's willing to make unfounded assumptions about other people based on their race if he thinks it benefits him. I don't know exactly how I'd draw the line between being racist and exploiting race for personal gain, but I know it'd be really, really thin.

It really didn't require that.
It requires that you claim that when he said absolute, he just meant a lot, and when he said inherent, he just meant a lot AGAIN. And moreover, that this interpretation is not just the most likely, but so obviously true that anyone who thinks otherwise is essentially lying. I'm not sure you appreciate just how incredible this position is.

The entire fricken' argument revolves around reading meaning into what is obviously not intended.
Let's try this: if someone isn't a racist, but uses the n-word...did they make a racist statement?

Is any of this real? Are Presidents supposed to be this way?
Yes, it's all real. And it's not everything. There are also numerous strange connections linking Trump to Russian bankers and other strange financial dealings and other attempts Trump made to shut down investigations into Flynn and a recent Reuters report about 18 additional contacts the campaign had with Russians, including one involving a very good friend of Putin's who is also Putin's personal "fixer." And as is pointed out, that's just what we the public knows about. But sure, we don't need no stinking investigations....

How does "I'm building a wall" in any way tell you that "absolute" and "inherent" shouldn't be taken at face value?
Dude.

Originally Posted by Yoda
No, it's from the part where the conflict of interest is that he's a Mexican.
Dude.

Well, for starters, you've excised the parts where he mentions the judge's race.
DUDE! I refuse to ****in' accept you genuinely believe these are reasonable arguments. You are way too smart to be pulling this ****.

I'm fricken' done. Holy hell, man. I'm not gonna do a debate of attrition with you. This is absurd. Especially that second one, holy ****.

Let's try this: if someone isn't a racist, but uses the n-word...did they make a racist statement?
NO.

Yes, dude? How does him saying he's "building a wall" indicate--let alone definitively--that those other words should not be taken at face value?

The fact that he thinks the judge has a conflict of interest has no logical relationship whatsoever to how euphemistically he's describing that conflict.

DUDE! I refuse to ****in' accept you genuinely believe these are reasonable arguments. You are way too smart to be pulling this ****.
It's similarly hard for me to accept that you really believe "absolute" obviously just means "really" and "inherent" obviously just means "really AGAIN." You're dealing in possibilities, not plausibilities (let alone probabilities), and somehow insisting they're akin to certainties.

I'm fricken' done. Holy hell, man. I'm not gonna do a debate of attrition with you. This is absurd.
It's absurd to call something a "lie" based on assuming two words are not meant at face value. Especially in a written statement.

And you know what? The statement is racist even if I accept your interpretation of those words. Because even if you don't think he was saying the judge's race automatically influenced him, we're still left with him assuming his race was responsible for his ruling, and in fact had caused him to violate the oath of his life's work. based on no more evidence than "he didn't agree with me." He reduced a serious person to their ethnicity without cause. That's freaking terrible.

You cite the Huffington Post for sources, you're in no position to judge.
You know full well this is an ad hominem argument. Everyone is qualified to point out and judge falsehoods or contradictions regardless of anything they've said or cited before.

You cite the Huffington Post for sources, you're in no position to judge.
And you are? Whats your street cred homie? Why do you seem to be the only one here that knows whats true and whats right? Are you a divine being?

I notice you said you broke your hand earlier. How's your Trumpcare treating ya?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Tearies running down my face. That needs a warning, ash!

also, the pope gave Trump a 38,000 word essay on climate change, and lol @ this
Haha that Twitter pic...priceless

You can't win an argument just by being right!

also, the pope gave Trump a 38,000 word essay on climate change, and lol @ this
Ash, I return the favour, my friend.

https://www.facebook.com/ohgreatmore...4702250923866/

How does him saying he's "building a wall" indicate
I've explained this.

The fact that he thinks the judge has a conflict of interest has no logical relationship whatsoever to how euphemistically
Context isn't a euphemism.
It's ABOUT his policy, not ABOUT his heritage. It literally could not be made any more obvious than if he just said "I’m building a wall. It’s an inherent conflict of interest."

The conflict of interest is inherent... to the wall.

He didn't say "The judge is Mexican. It's an inherent conflict of interest."

The difference matters because it emphasizes the specific CAUSE of the conflict of interest! Which he drilled into the ****ing dirt on repeated interview! You can't deny this with being A.) ignorant of how the English language works, or B.) dishonest. I cannot think of an alternative.

It's similarly hard for me to accept that you really believe "absolute" obviously just means "really" and "inherent" obviously just means "really AGAIN."
I utterly fail to see why.

You're dealing in possibilities,
Probabilities.

not plausibilities (let alone probabilities),
Probability is contingent upon plausibility is contingent upon possibility. The more or less plausible an interpretation is, the more or less probable it happens to be the intent.

If I say "It looks like it's gonna rain soon.", and you take that to be a shrewd criticism of store-brand toothpaste, those are bad odds you are rolling with.

even if you don't think he was saying the judge's race automatically influenced him,
we're still left with him assuming his race was responsible for his ruling,
Same argument.

You know full well this is an ad hominem argument. Everyone is qualified to point out and judge falsehoods or contradictions regardless of anything they've said or cited before.
Well, given the lack of evidence in support of their claim, I am left to gauge historical reliability. I find it wanting.

*has claim tediously deconstructed piece by piece*
Actua laugh.

Is that what happened? And here I thought you were just ignoring a lot of well laid out evidence and behavior over a several decade time span. Damn. I've been wrong this whole time. Thanks for setting me straight. Maybe he's a good guy after all. What are we even doing here?

Oh wait... give it a second or two. The guy's gonna tweet out another stupid thing to take focus off the last stupid thing he tweeted out. But that's cool right? You're not really a Trump guy. You're just trying to make sure we get our facts straight, right?