RIP Roger Moore

Tools    

He was the only Bond I knew in my early years, and those are the Bond movies I have always liked best. He was great in The Untouchables too.

RIP

The most loathsome of all goblins
The most unfairly maligned Bond and a real class-act. Both The Spy Who Loved Me and Live and Let Die rank among the very best films in the series. Also I'd put Octopussy and For Your Eyes Only in the top 10. The remaining three, while not exceptional, are all enjoyable adventures. In fact, I find myself rewatching his outings more often than any other era.

He will be missed. I already watched The Spy Who Loved Me a few days ago, but this weekend I will definitely watch Octopussy in his honor. I might listen to his actor's commentary afterward as well.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I might listen to his actor's commentary afterward as well.
I've never heard that. I loved his voice and accent. Sean is my favourite Bond but Sir Roger was a very close second. When I was a little kidlet I used to love The Saint which had a rerun just as I got home from school. He was another crush my mum and I shared.

The most loathsome of all goblins
I've never heard that. I loved his voice and accent. Sean is my favourite Bond but Sir Roger was a very close second. When I was a little kidlet I used to love The Saint which had a rerun just as I got home from school. He was another crush my mum and I shared.
He does a commentary on the DVD/blu-ray for all seven films he appears in. I've listened to them all, he seems like such a great guy. It's relaxing just hearing him reminisce for 2 hours.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
He was the only Bond I knew in my early years, and those are the Bond movies I have always liked best. He was great in The Untouchables too.
Who in the what?

He does a commentary on the DVD/blu-ray for all seven films he appears in. I've listened to them all, he seems like such a great guy. It's relaxing just hearing him reminisce for 2 hours.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...f-achievement/

I didnt realise he was a UNICEF ambassador, or that he was battling cancer. He and his wife were obviously very private. I never saw them courting the limelight.

RIP
Totally agree. Always thought he was the best Bond and his movies very tongue-in-cheek. The wanna-be "serious" Bond movies are a huge yawn for me.

RIP Mr. Bond.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
RIP Roger Moore, you are my favourite Bond.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Not only was he my favorite Bond, but having seen the hilariously absurd Boat Trip, Roger Moore was the best thing to watch in that film...especially this scene right here!

Not only was he my favorite Bond, but having seen the hilariously absurd Boat Trip, Roger Moore was the best thing to watch in that film...especially this scene right here!
I think that's the first time I've ever heard him drop the f bomb

When I was a wee lil' MoFo, Roger Moore was James Bond!
I'd never seen Sean Connery until I was older, so to me Roger was 007. I always liked Roger Moore's style: cool-calm-self collected with a sense of humor, and with impeccable manners!...just like me

In a way Moore reminds me of another screen great, Cary Grant. Both have similar styles that ingratiates themselves into the hearts of the audience. I read once that the James Bond films were waning in popularity and after Sean Connery left it appeared the franchise might not continue....That's until Roger Moore reinvented the role and gave us a much lighter Bond, with a rich comic touch, thus saving the franchise.

Roger Moore was one of a kind! Fun to watch on the screen, and off screen a real humanitarian.

I highly recommend:
Interrupted Melody (1955)

My favorite Roger Moore Bond films:

Live and Let Die (1973)
The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)

And for pure 007 crazy fun
Moonraker (1979)
Which I got to see on the big screen when it first came out.

And as already mentioned, Roger is hilarious in:
The Cannonball Run (1981)

Wow, this loss hits hard. I'm lucky enough (and old enough, argh!) to say that Connery was the first Bond I ever saw on the silver screen, but Sir Roger Moore was the first Bond I saw at the proper cinema, along with my sister. I was but 12-years-old and the movie was his first Bond, Live and Let Die and I was blown away by it! It remains my favorite, not only for sentimental reasons but because I simply enjoy it more than any other. It's got the beautiful Jane Seymour, who is still beautiful after all these years. It's got Yaphet Kotto chewing up the scenery in a dual role. There's the filming all over the map, in N.Y., in Jamaica, in Louisiana (my favorite portion). There are chases galore (the boat chase a particular favorite, especially the takeout of the wedding cake!). Great theme song. But best of all, it had Roger Moore, whom many didn't expect to last long. How wrong they were and how glad I was. Moving forward from that debut, my best friend and I never missed a Roger Moore Bond movie. We even saw the one @mark f mentioned, North Sea Hijack, known to me as ffolkes, his character's name. We were delighted because he was so smart-assedly funny in that flick, while being deadly, and then having a soft touch for cats, which he had dozens of (pussy galore?). Our trips to see Bond extended beyond his, but they were never surpassed in our eyes.

Dani, thanks for posting that story of the little fan at the airport and their meeting with Roger Moore. What a true gent he was!

And Yoda, thanks for the story with Bono and Jay Z. I love Sir Roger's "What's a rapper?" Something Bond might say.

And all these pictures are great. I also remember Roger Moore from the TV show Maverick, where he appeared as the cousin to the Maverick brothers, I believe while James Garner was fighting over his contract. The few I saw were loads of fun. Also remember as Simon Templar, The Saint, although I didn't get to see near as many as I would have liked. Lastly, I remember Roger and Tony Curtis in The Persuaders, which I would love to see again...may have to spring for the set on DVD.

Godspeed, Sir Roger!

He brought the cigar to the Bond franchise:

and I love this bit of silliness from Roger and Johnny Carson:

OMG, didn't see this one coming...my first exposure to him was as Simon Templar on The Saint
Mine too growing up as a child in England. I always loved it when his halo appeared above his head in the opening scene.

IIRC, Roger lived a scandal-free life & was always considered to be a perfect gentleman. Can't say that about too many male actors these days.