The Twin Peaks Thread

Tools    

Are those screen caps from Criterion? Is it confirmed? Or are those just set photos? They look gorgeous. It's just the right color with more detail.

So excited!!!

Any suggestions on where to watch it stream live without Showtime on TV? I have Hulu and signed up for Showtime add on, but I am not sure if it will live stream or post online the next day or so. I would be curious to watch it live or know if it gets posted on Hulu at airing time.

The only way I noticed you can watch live stream on Showtime is on a computer logged in to Hulu through Showtime's website or directly through Hulu's website.

Both of those can work if I wanted to watch it on a computer, but I’d rather watch it on TV. I have PS3.

This might just do nobody any good.
I so forgot this was on today (it is, isn't it?)

I dont know what to think by the first episode. Maybe that is what they were going for. I feel like Lynch was trying to hard to be strange or wacky. Don't get me wrong I love Twin Peak's wackiness but this was a little much. I hope the show gets a little more grounded next installment. The next episode needs to shine a little light on what is going on because I am totally lost.

The third episode was amazing, up there with the best stuff Lynch has done.

WARNING: "Twin Peaks - New Series Episode 3" spoilers below
The part with David Lynch looking at the ghost/alien thing and then he goes "what the hell?" almost killed me

First two parts were exactly as I expected/predicted the new one would be - very different compared to the original series, both in terms of tone and in execution. I had a feeling it would be like a mix of FWWM, Lost Highway and Inland Empire, and in that regard it didn't disappoint

Edit: OMG, I need a whole series of Wally Brando's travels across America.

I watched the first four of the revival.

I’m giddy. I’ve been wanting this for so long, and it’s exceeded my hopes. Of course, a nostalgia trip is nice, but I’m so glad it’s creating something more unique in the process. It wouldn’t truly be in the TP spirit if it didn’t take this risk of hanging out on a wobbly tree branch. It’s weirder, bleaker, & darker, but so much that made the original series special is on point. The comedy is hilarious and dryer than ever (albeit some of it comes across as unintentional in the surrealist bits), and holy f*ck, the violence is more startling than anything done previously in TP.

It’s good seeing the old cast, but new blood is needed just as much to keep the story fresh IMO. The vast majority of the cast is there to fulfill transient role requirements. Some of the brief dry comic characters are great (Michael Cera, freaking Bisping, and fat apartment lady in particular). It is heartbreaking to see the log lady in such poor condition so close to her death, but her scenes have been bittersweetly special so far (at least to me) knowing how seminal that role was to many.

The surrealism… by god. Very cheesy, and easily as engrossing as anything TP has ever done. The ‘what the hell is going on’ factor still keeps me hooked. The ‘expounded’ black lodge is amazing: the cinematography, le bubblegum face lady, and the apparent scope of it. I’m really f*cking blown away.

The original series was charming for its humble setting and atmosphere, but this just feels… massive. Shooting in different locations was the biggest risk they took. It gave the plot a sense of grandeur that would’ve been out of place in the original run, but feels really really right now considering the momentous hype involved.

The third episode was amazing, up there with the best stuff Lynch has done.

WARNING: "Twin Peaks - New Series Episode 3" spoilers below
The part with David Lynch looking at the ghost/alien thing and then he goes "what the hell?" almost killed me
It's good to know he still has a modicum of self-awareness.

Absolutely amazing. BlueLion is right in that in feels much more like his movies, this is pure Lynch doing what he wants to do. Really Eraserhead with the tree thing that replaced Michael J Anderson, and the waiting room when he left the lodge (I think that was in the original finale script), really Lost Highway in the South Dakota guy going to jail storyline, bits of Mulholland Drive with the Vegas stuff, and Inland Empire in its overall mood, cinematography and so on. Lynch did say Lost Highway took place in the Twin Peaks world, and Mulholland Drive was originally meant to be about Audrey.

Only thing that's maybe missing is the score, but I feel like that might come with more episodes. Each episode we seem to be bringing back more original characters, and they all seem to be heading back towards Twin Peaks. Loved the scenes with Bobby and the scenes back at the bar.

Love the rogue bad Cooper too, here's a theory on what I think is going on with the three Coops:

WARNING: ""Twin Peaks" spoilers below
Not knowing that the Cooper that came out of the lodge 25 years ago was "bad Cooper", Briggs told him about the Blue Rose project and what was going on with the black lodge, how Philip Jeffries had been investigating it. Cooper got in touch with Jeffries and learnt more, also learnt more from the guy Albert gave him.

He learnt about the Black Lodge and who/what he was, and what they had planned, and over time started to fight against it. He didn't want to go back, so started to make plans to prevent this.

This included the somehow creation ("You were manufactured for a purpose") of Dougie Jones, a Dale Cooper lookalike, who would interfere with the swapping process and allow for bad Cooper to stay on the outside world. He hired people to wait outside his house with those guns to try and kill him once the swap had taken place, knowing that only one of them can be outside the lodge at the same time.

Maybe he's even the billionaire who setup the building in New York with the box. He wanted to capture Cooper and make sure he went to a certain place once he got out. Who else would be able to build the technology able of linking up to the black lodges powers?

Hopefully good Coop finds his memory soon, it'll be great to see him and bad Coop be drawn closer together as they both try to stay alive.

Finally got a chance to watch the first episode of this, liked it alot. Won't go into what i think of the story yet as i still have to see the other three and i doubt i'll be able to see them until Saturday or Sunday. I think the tone of alot of this was more similar to Inland Empire/Mullholland Dr. than Twin Peaks, the underlying campness that seemed to be everpresent even in the darkest scenes of the original show wasn't there during some parts. This is not a complaint i love those films, and i even think it made sense since the Good-Coop was trapped in the Black Lodge this whole episode and for the past 25 years; the more straight up dark mood suits this. The most jarring thing in the entire episode was definitely the nudity anyway; that's not allowed in Twin Peaks! haha. OMG, that Black Lodge scene: the way Laura blinked may have been my favourite thing in the whole nearly 2 hour episode . Excited about the cast, both original characters and new; Matthew Lillard is basically perfect for this show. Pumped to watch the rest, i'll comment more then.

Only thing that's maybe missing is the score, but I feel like that might come with more episodes. Each episode we seem to be bringing back more original characters, and they all seem to be heading back towards Twin Peaks. Loved the scenes with Bobby and the scenes back at the bar.

Love the rogue bad Cooper too, here's a theory on what I think is going on with the three Coops:
WARNING: "TP" spoilers below
I love this theory. Whatever happens, I actually hope that much of it is left ambiguous. Like the 3 Coopers. I think your theory is correct and the most sensible at this point, but I want them to stop explaining now, and just leave the little bit of ambiguity to waver a little.

Although, Dougie's wife mentioned paying some people back. I think maybe they were the ones waiting outside his house.

Finally got a chance to watch the first episode of this, liked it alot. Won't go into what i think of the story yet as i still have to see the other three and i doubt i'll be able to see them until Saturday or Sunday. I think the tone of alot of this was more similar to Inland Empire/Mullholland Dr. than Twin Peaks, the underlying campness that seemed to be everpresent even in the darkest scenes of the original show wasn't there during some parts. This is not a complaint i love those films, and i even think it made sense since the Good-Coop was trapped in the Black Lodge this whole episode and for the past 25 years; the more straight up dark mood suits this. The most jarring thing in the entire episode was definitely the nudity anyway; that's not allowed in Twin Peaks! haha. OMG, that Black Lodge scene: the way Laura blinked may have been my favourite thing in the whole nearly 2 hour episode . Excited about the cast, both original characters and new; Matthew Lillard is basically perfect for this show. Pumped to watch the rest, i'll comment more then.
I definitely think the dark tone will be somewhat lifted as it goes along. With much of it being outside of TP, a characteristic score and levity might feel a little out of place until later on. I looove the dark ambiance though. So far, I think it's the best Lynch has ever done, and I'm actually finding the comedy so much funnier without musical accompaniment. "Is it... about the bunny?" ... "No. It isn't about the bunny."

Man, I'm so in love with this already. I'm off to rewatch a bunch of Lynch movies, and play Deadly Premonition. I need a fix between episode releases.

WARNING: "TP" spoilers below
I love this theory. Whatever happens, I actually hope that much of it is left ambiguous. Like the 3 Coopers. I think your theory is correct and the most sensible at this point, but I want them to stop explaining now, and just leave the little bit of ambiguity to waver a little.

Although, Dougie's wife mentioned paying some people back. I think maybe they were the ones waiting outside his house.

I'm actually finding the comedy so much funnier without musical accompaniment.
That's what i forgot to mention in my post, it's so weird without the music, the playful score in the original Twin Peaks definitely played a major part in the campy tone. Think it must be a conscious decision by Lynch not to include it for now at least to set a different mood. Don't know if i find it funnier yet as i've still only watched the first episode but i did find the weird guy outside Ruth's apartment saying "Am i free to go officers?" once they'd already left hilarious

Watching the second episode in a minute, should be able to watch the other two this weekend.

I love this show almost unironically.

The newest episodes have a way of mellowing me out that the previous didn't, which I found weird as even Lynch's darkest fare had the effect on me.

I like it.

Spotlight:

I've been wanting to write a longer post about this season, but I just cannot get myself to do so. I'm afraid it's more bad than good. I just don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but the fact that there are not that many new posts in this thread makes me feel I am not the only one that is somewhat dissapointed.
I am still hopeful and all but there are just so many things that are vastly different from the original that I am not sure how to take it all.

I'm totally loving how scattershot it's all been.

Obviously, I'm biased, but I'm still loving it; just too lazy to post often. The original run was it's own thing. I'm actually liking the darker, weirder, ambient stuff more this time around. Ep 3 was my fav so far; the more inaccessible, the better. Seven episdoes in, I still have no idea where this is going. I can't think of much else with a greater sense of unpredictability. Lynch's style doesn't lend itself to many groan inducing cliches either, which is a breath of fresh air for me.

I also want to say that, even though the jazzy bits of the score have been sparse so far, they've been really beautiful.

This could very well be my favorite image of anything I see onscreen the whole year:

What followed I can barely articulate. As someone said elsewhere "it's like Lynch decided to remake the Lacrimosa scene from Tree of Life by way of Space Odyssey, filtered through Eraserhead."

I got genuinely chilled by it.