Is Hollywood Jewish?

Tools    

Before I could answer Gideon... look at the Newest Posts..

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...archid=5947668

Not that it matters, but I AM Semitic... Those kinds of phrases annoy me, as an evasion of social responsibility, that "I can say whatever I want because I am ________."
That link says "sorry no matches". That's it, you hate the jewish!

haha, Nah, i know i don't really care about this now, i thought it was Shagz (no offence but you have a this dude didn't kill people conspiracy theory thread, plus you like Rob Reiner) or someone that bumped it plus i thought it was a different kind of thread and Yoda quickly told me it wasn't.

Also most importantly i initially thought it was a new thread which is why i entered it annoyed, nothing to do with what it was about but i thought it was a troll thread and i felt our troll-quality was dying as this was an obvious 'jews rule the world' sort of thread. Our trolls are more high-class and subtle than that

Definitely the first time i've felt pride in trolling.

Hollywood was created by Jewish immigrants so it would stand to reason a lot of them are still around… As far as the politicians… that shouldn’t be too hard to figure out since several organizations (voters) have denounced Hollywood films…

“Kike” means “nasty undesirable alien”
It was created by Jewish people and a lot of them are still in the producing field.
I am aware that both of these posts are over a decade old but want to address that what they state isn't really true. The Hollywood film industry was created by DW Griffith, who discovered Hollywood as a shooting location and shot the first film ever in Hollywood (In Old California) and made the first ever "Hollywood Blockbuster" (The Birth of a Nation).

Anyways, in regards to the topic, Is Hollywood Jewish? It's mostly comprised of Jewish people yeah. Do they make good movies? Hell yes! That's all that really needs to be said I guess.

Is Hollywood mostly comprised of jewish people now? In 2017 is Hollywood mostly Jewish? Personally, i'd find it amazing if it was but there's no real way to know if it is which is why people shouldn't say it is. IMO

I Enjoy Working With People
True Herod, true. But those self-exploitive scripts are approved by Hollywood higher-ups. And as n7 says "Is Hollywood Jewish?" shouldn't be a question, but a statement. And I think your story about the two Jewish people on a park bench would make a rather interesting movie, if only to explore, honestly, the concept of Jewish discrimination in America and what factors cause it to exist.

Also, VerbalP, I'm not really talking about movies that make fun of any one culture. I'm talking about an honest portrayal of the Jewish American culture taken directly from the history books (warts and all). These types of movies are abundant when it comes to African Americans, Asians and etc. The uneducated African American slave for instance, or the subservient frugal Chinaman. Of course films like Rudy portray the discrimination of Jews, but they never address why they are discriminated against, and how the stereotype was formed.
This is typical of the bigoted propaganda against Jewish people that seems to crop up on every movie forum first in the guise of an honest question (see first post in thread), posed out of innocent intellectual curiosity about "things I've heard," with the exhortation not to think any less of the poster for asking a question solely to learn more...and which is invariably followed by a full pasting of a quotation chock full of stereotypes targeting Jews, and then later followed by the true opinion of the original poster (see quote above), showing that the original poster already had a very well-formed opinion about the question he claimed at the beginning he didn't know the answer to.

First, the OP claimed there weren't movies showing prejudice against Jews, unlike movies showing prejudice against other minorities. Then it was claimed the movies never show unflattering portrayals of Jews. These assumptions are, as any sincere attempt at research shows, completely false. For the record, Marlon Brando's assumptions about the movies and their portrayal of Jews were simply false.

It never occurs to the OP, apparently, that to single out Jews as particularly insensitive to the prejudice in society against black Americans, and other minorities, is ridiculous. There is no evidence that Jewish people were any more or less sensitive to the accurate and full portrayal of the lives of other minorities than people of any other religion - but there is only criticism of Jews as a group in their alleged "control" of Hollywood. It is noteworthy that the people who promote this kind of stereotype never mention that Jewish people have been at the forefront of the civil rights movement since the beginning, and also were the first landlords in many communities across the United States to rent to black tenants turned away by other white landlords at the time.

[Side note: why did Jewish people found several movie companies in the early 20th century? One big reason was that they were systematically excluded from the schools and clubs and neighborhoods that provided business opportunities to the majority of Americans. The movie business was an opportunity in a growing industry that was not prestigious and respected enough to exclude Jewish people entirely, and movie audiences couldn't see and didn't care who made the product when they watched the movies in theaters - they only cared if they liked the movie. Second, movie production allowed Jewish immigrants to create fantasy worlds that were much better than the worlds they had come from and the world in which they lived - real worlds in which they were persecuted to the point of being relegated to poverty and often murdered.]

99.9% of all industries and professions in the world are mainly populated by and owned by non-Jews - but you never hear anyone blame Christians as a group for the prejudice and injustices in any of those industries. The bigots would have us believe that there is something particularly Jewish about the bias in movies. In reality, where it did exist, it was a reflection of the bias in the larger society - a society in which Jews were not the major influence regarding prejudice and bigotry. But the Jews are always held to a higher moral standard than the rest of our hypocritical societies.

And Jews are, ultimately, blamed for the prejudice directed even at them. Why else would they be criticized (even in this one thread) for being in supposed total control of every aspect of all Hollywood movies and 1) not showing Jews being discriminated against; and 2) showing Jews being discriminated against too much. So we can see the message here: Jewish people are wrong no matter what they do. As the original poster seems to suggest in his final statements, above, the ultimate message is this: Jewish people are doing something to provoke and deserve the stereotyping of Jews and the hate directed at them, but they are engaged in a conspiracy to prevent the real nature of Jewish people and their lives ("warts and all") from being shown in films.

All of this is complete nonsense (see, e.g. Mo Better Blues, or The Great Gatsby, or School Ties, or Ship of Fools, or Defamation, or many others, for negative stereotypes of Jews), but it is very popular nonsense that people seem determined to keep promoting online in forums like this one - with no evidence to back it up. I'm very disappointed in the administrators of this forum for allowing this thread to remain for quite a while.

-- HAL9000

The most loathsome of all goblins
Ashkenazi Jews are the most intelligent ethnic group in the world, it's no wonder they dominate in creative fields as well as other professions. They are also more likely to have some very terrible diseases, apparently.

I'm very disappointed in the administrators of this forum for allowing this thread to remain for quite a while.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I know the OP (well, knew; this thread was started over 14 years ago) and don't consider them the least bit bigoted. I understand that this is the Internet, and that lots of hateful stuff is lurking behind statements phrased as questions, but not every one of them is masking the kind of sentiment you're talking about, and I think the mostly thoughtful responses you can see over the couple of pages of discussion that followed bear that out.

I don't have any problem believing that these same questions are "typical of the bigoted propaganda against Jewish people," as you say, but I think that's just one of the reasons bigotry can be so insidious: it poisons even well-meaning attempts to have genuine discussions about controversial issues, by disguising itself as one. I don't blame you for being vigilant about this, but I think this one's genuine.

I could, of course, be wrong, but if I am it's a genuine error, and definitely not a tolerance of the kind of bigotry you're talking about.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I know the OP (well, knew; this thread was started over 14 years ago) and don't consider them the least bit bigoted. I understand that this is the Internet, and that lots of hateful stuff is lurking behind statements phrased as questions, but not every one of them is masking the kind of sentiment you're talking about, and I think the mostly thoughtful responses you can see over the couple of pages of discussion that followed bear that out.

I don't have any problem believing that these same questions are "typical of the bigoted propaganda against Jewish people," as you say, but I think that's just one of the reasons bigotry can be so insidious: it poisons even well-meaning attempts to have genuine discussions about controversial issues, by disguising itself as one. I don't blame you for being vigilant about this, but I think this one's genuine.

I could, of course, be wrong, but if I am it's a genuine error, and definitely not a tolerance of the kind of bigotry you're talking about.
I'm sure you mean well, but if the administrator of this forum doesn't understand how the original post, and subsequent posts including the one I quoted, are rooted in bigotry and animus, and dripping with the same, and if the administrator doesn't understand that inviting threads like this one on the forum gives bigots license to disseminate and promote their bigotry, then this is not a community in which I will feel comfortable.

I will never believe that a discussion of whether Hollywood is "Jewish" is a well-meaning discussion of a relevant issue in any forum, contrary to your belief. The topic is in itself bigoted, and as you can see (but have not acknowledged) it invites not only kind responses but also encourages bigots to share and promote their prejudices with the world - something that I think is reprehensible and inexcusable.

Voluntary and discretionary participation in an online community obviously shows a tacit approval or at least acceptance of the discussion topics allowed by the administrators, and even the tone and content of the posts allowed. I won't be a willing participant in that kind of community, given a choice.

I'm gone.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Don't leave HAL. I like your posts.

The topic is in itself bigoted
It is not.

It invites not only kind responses but also encourages bigots to share and promote their prejudices with the world - something that I think is reprehensible and inexcusable.
All types of discussions invite bigots to share and promote their prejudices. Does that mean we can't ever discuss topics that could potentially attract bigots?

Ashkenazi Jews are the most intelligent ethnic group in the world, it's no wonder they dominate in creative fields as well as other professions. They are also more likely to have some very terrible diseases, apparently.
That's interesting. Do you have any linkies blix. I'm part Jewish on my mother's side and she was supersmrt. She also had some genetic illnesses.

Thanks so much. Will read when I get home.

In order to say that a certain group is the most intelligent ethnic group I think we should define what intelligence is wouldn't you say?

It's not as if intelligence is something which has a clearly define and universal definition that everybody agrees and understand. There are several types of intelligence, ways of calculing it, etc. I don't know if there is such a thing as ''intelligence itself''.

Also, saying that a certain biological group is ''more of something'' because of their belonging to a group is always a slippery slope and you need good evidence to support that. I personally highly doubt it.

The most loathsome of all goblins
In order to say that a certain group is the most intelligent ethnic group I think we should define what intelligence is wouldn't you say?

It's not as if intelligence is something which has a clearly define and universal definition that everybody agrees and understand. There are several types of intelligence, ways of calculing it, etc. I don't know if there is such a thing as ''intelligence itself''.

Also, saying that a certain biological group is ''more of something'' because of their belonging to a group is always a slippery slope and you need good evidence to support that. I personally highly doubt it.
We can only measure intelligence by what we have available. In terms of IQ, which I admit is debatable, Ashkenazi Jews are the most intelligent ethnic group.

There are a lot of Jews running things in Hollywood. With that said, we are all equal. No one is special all by themselves because of a religious belief. People make choices or..wait, I take that back, Ted Bundy, nevermind. Nothing really more to speculate on my end aside from some damn fine talent coming out of the Jewish camp. Human meat burgers from a charming man. Not sure if that film was Jewish produced or not?

That's interesting. Do you have any linkies blix. I'm part Jewish on my mother's side and she was supersmrt. She also had some genetic illnesses.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/131053
Interesting article but no, my mum was not afflicted by those named diseases. Also interesting about the immunity to malaria. I missed out on that gene unfortunately.

I had a minute to think before I opened up my mouth without thinking and what I came up with is that I have noticed a peculiarity in Hollywood from Jewish film makers and writers/actors, and that is that they do not seem to be pushing too much religion on anyone. Usually the "jewishness" is played up with a focus on neurotic mothers, a feeling of existentialist playfulness, social awkwardness, deep intellectual horsing around with cynical themes about social interaction sometimes concerning the arts. And I have also seen my share of persecuted Jewish films and even some more modern revenge films. I have had my fill, lots of tragedies in this world, I'd prefer to stick with lighthearted stuff and not dish out cash for something I am aware of, and sympathize with. I guess it's the separation that pisses me off. The feeling that either "I'm better than a Jew" or "This Jew acts like they are better than me". That's all Sandra Bollocks in my book of the Lord.

I had a minute to think before I opened up my mouth without thinking and what I came up with is that I have noticed a peculiarity in Hollywood from Jewish film makers and writers/actors, and that is that they do not seem to be pushing too much religion on anyone. Usually the "jewishness" is played up with a focus on neurotic mothers, a feeling of existentialist playfulness, social awkwardness, deep intellectual horsing around with cynical themes about social interaction sometimes concerning the arts. And I have also seen my share of persecuted Jewish films and even some more modern revenge films. I have had my fill, lots of tragedies in this world, I'd prefer to stick with lighthearted stuff and not dish out cash for something I am aware of, and sympathize with. I guess it's the separation that pisses me off. The feeling that either "I'm better than a Jew" or "This Jew acts like they are better than me". That's all Sandra Bollocks in my book of the Lord.
According to my cousins and soon to be sister in law who are all Jewish the jewish are extremely proud of their cultural roots and sense of community so stands to reason filmakers like to showcase it. I love it.

The topic is in itself bigoted
I disagree, and frankly, I'm having trouble imagining what a serious intellectual justification for this statement would even look like.

and as you can see (but have not acknowledged) it invites not only kind responses but also encourages bigots to share and promote their prejudices with the world - something that I think is reprehensible and inexcusable.
First, the mere fact that you acknowledge "kind responses" are possible would seem to undercut the idea that the topic is inherently or inevitably bigoted.

Second, all topics can be used to share prejudices, and it's my experience that bigots are generally so obsessed with the object of their bigotry that they can steer any conversation back to it, anyway. The logic you're proposing would essentially ban any even remotely controversial topic.

Third, the standard that we must disallow anything which even might enable bigotry invalidates itself, because removing any trace of the topic can easily be rationalized as proof of the oppression and control they're claiming exists in the first place.

Okay. Sorry to hear it.

I disagree, and frankly, I'm having trouble imagining what a serious intellectual justification for this statement would even look like.

First, the mere fact that you acknowledge "kind responses" are possible would seem to undercut the idea that the topic is inherently or inevitably bigoted.

Second, all topics can be used to share prejudices, and it's my experience that bigots are generally so obsessed with the object of their bigotry that they can steer any conversation back to it, anyway. The logic you're proposing would essentially ban any even remotely controversial topic.

Third, the standard that we must disallow anything which even might enable bigotry invalidates itself, because removing any trace of the topic can easily be rationalized as proof of the oppression and control they're claiming exists in the first place.

Okay. Sorry to hear it.

Your refuse to acknowledge that the original thread question alludes to very old and very common bigoted stereotypes of Jews? And you refuse to acknowledge what I wrote in my previous post - that nobody ever asks this question about any of the 99.9% of the industries dominated by Christians in the United States? Who is lacking in intellectual (and factual) justification here?

I'm not in favor of banning any remotely controversial topic - that is a red herring argument and not at all a fair or accurate description of my point - which referred to a topic based on clearly-bigoted stereotypes of Jews dominating or controlling something for nefarious purposes. Are you claiming that this stereotype doesn't exist? If you acknowledge it does exist, how can you then say inviting discussion of whether such a stereotype is true or not true has the same factual and moral acceptability as any other topic?

Prohibiting bigoted thread topics is not evil control that reinforces a stereotype - it is done on other forums as a way to show respect for people of all backgrounds and to encourage at least a basic level of civility in the exchanges on the forums. I can see that this is not something you are at all concerned about, which shows me that I am making the right choice spending my time and energies elsewhere.