Reading Tab

Tools    

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Was not sure where to post this but I have been reading the same books over and over again and now that I have a few extra bucks I wanna get a couple new books but have no idea what to read.

I am wanting to ask if there is any book something like the movie Cube or a 1 room type of thing (Exam etc...). Hopefully someone out there will know a book to recommend to me.............. all recommendations welcome!

Was not sure where to post this but I have been reading the same books over and over again and now that I have a few extra bucks I wanna get a couple new books but have no idea what to read.

I am wanting to ask if there is any book something like the movie Cube or a 1 room type of thing (Exam etc...). Hopefully someone out there will know a book to recommend to me.............. all recommendations welcome!
I don't really have anything for you that's similar to Cube or Exam. What's your preferred genre or even sub-genre? It would be easier to go with that.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Normally my preferred genre is sci-fi / fantasy. Favorite author is Robert Jordan but I am just looking for something different to read for a while.

Unfortunately, that's not usually my cup of tea. The closest I can think of that might be of interest to you is a Space Opera by Alastair Reynolds called House of Suns. Great story and worldbuilding. It obviously focuses more on Sci-Fi, but it has some pretty nice Fantasy elements as well.

I've been re-reading Philip Roth lately. Portnoy's Complaint, etc. Reading My Life As a Man right now. I read books on my Kindle app these days.

I also subscribe to The New Yorker and I read the Sunday New York Times, both paper versions

Incarceron

https://books.google.com/books/about...ource=kp_cover

"Incarceron is a prison so vast that it contains not only cells, but also metal forests, dilapidated cities, and vast wilderness. Finn, a seventeen-year-old prisoner, has no memory of his childhood and is sure that he came from Outside Incarceron. Very few prisoners believe that there is an Outside, however, which makes escape seems impossible. And then Finn finds a crystal key that allows him to communicate with a girl named Claudia. She claims to live Outside - she is the daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, and doomed to an arranged marriage. Finn is determined to escape the prison, and Claudia believes she can help him. But they don't realize that there is more to Incarceron than meets the eye. Escape will take their greatest courage and cost more than they know.":

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Smashing my way through the Game of Thrones books, halfway through book 3 volume 1. The books really make the show seem like a brief summary of events., so much more in depth and more characters etc, so much more going on, of course all that is obvious as you cant make GOT into a same as the books TV series. Really getting into them now.

Smashing my way through the Game of Thrones books
LOL. Sounds exhausting.

I just started this. I like it very much. 39 year old woman living in NYC trying to navigate through life.

In the Beginning...
Some recently completed reads:

Kenobi by John Jackson Miller

The Last Wish (The Witcher Stories #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski

Sword of Destiny (The Witcher Stories #2) by Andrzej Sapkowski

MYST: The Book of Atrus by Rand/Robin Miller & David Wingrove

Blood of Elves (The Witcher #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

Time of Contempt (The Witcher #2) by Andrzej Sapkowski

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

Currently reading:

Assassin's Creed: The Official Movie Novelization by Christie Golden
Baptism of Fire (The Witcher #3) by Andrzej Sapkowski
Dear Mr. You by Mary-Louise Parker
The Shadow of What Was Lost (Licanius #1) by James Islington
172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

On deck:

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse #1) by James S.A. Corey
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1) by Patrick Rothfuss
Assassin's Creed: Heresy by Christie Golden

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If I wanted to read, I'd read some subtitles.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Some recently completed reads:

MYST: The Book of Atrus by Rand/Robin Miller & David Wingrove
Wow, and here I might have thought I'd be the only person here to have read that Myst book. (I think I got halfway through The Book of Ti'ana before putting it down, but that was back when I had little time for reading and almost never finished a book. I should pick it back up...)

In the Beginning...
Wow, and here I might have thought I'd be the only person here to have read that Myst book. (I think I got halfway through The Book of Ti'ana before putting it down, but that was back when I had little time for reading and almost never finished a book. I should pick it back up...)
I remember the book coming out back in the 1990s and wanted to read it, but I doubt I would have been able to appreciate it as a kid. I'm glad I rediscovered it later on.

I also picked up The Book of Ti'ana and The Book of D'ni, the latter of which takes place immediately after The Book of Atrus. Have you read that one?

I remember the book coming out back in the 1990s and wanted to read it, but I doubt I would have been able to appreciate it as a kid. I'm glad I rediscovered it later on.

I also picked up The Book of Ti'ana and The Book of D'ni, the latter of which takes place immediately after The Book of Atrus. Have you read that one?
I have that one, too. But honestly, it's been decades since I read any of these, so my brain's a bit fuzzy on details. If I picked 'em back up now, I'd probably start over, with eyes a little older and wiser and better able to absorb the story.

Did you play the games, Sleezy? Our family was addicted to them, which is why I bought the books in the first place. (I think I found the hardbacks used somewhere but bought the paperbacks new.)

In the Beginning...
Did you play the games, Sleezy? Our family was addicted to them, which is why I bought the books in the first place. (I think I found the hardbacks used somewhere but bought the paperbacks new.)
Yeah, I recently finished MYST for the first time and I'm now working through Riven (and getting pretty far without consulting a guide). I had those games when I was younger but just didn't have the intellectual skill to make much progress. So they've been fun to rediscover. I only wish CYAN would remaster the MYST series for newer PCs, as it's incredibly difficult to get these games to run on my laptop.

Are you getting them through Steam? That's how I'm replaying them, since my PC doesn't like any of my original disks, even the DVD set I got as part of one of their anniversaries.

In the Beginning...
Are you getting them through Steam? That's how I'm replaying them, since my PC doesn't like any of my original disks, even the DVD set I got as part of one of their anniversaries.
I played RealMYST 3D Masterpiece Edition via Steam, but found myself wishing I could play the original point-click version because the still images are much more interesting than the updated 3D graphics. Steam's version of Riven is not supported on Windows 10, so I'm playing it via ScummVM, a point-click emulator.

I played RealMYST 3D Masterpiece Edition via Steam, but found myself wishing I could play the original point-click version because the still images are much more interesting than the updated 3D graphics. Steam's version of Riven is not supported on Windows 10, so I'm playing it via ScummVM, a point-click emulator.
I don't mean to turn this into the Videogames Tab, but I'm playing Riven on Steam via Windows 10 and not having any issues beyond the fact that the game did look crisper in its original incarnation. But it does work in Win10 using Steam...

I don't mean to turn this into the Videogames Tab, but I'm playing Riven on Steam via Windows 10 and not having any issues beyond the fact that the game did look crisper in its original incarnation. But it does work in Win10 using Steam...
LOL. Just had to check the first page to see if this actually was the Reading thread.