Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Neat little modern noir that really took me by surprise. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was superb despite taking up nearly all of the screen time. I really liked the dialogue too.

+
The dialogue in that is extraordinary. It's a modern classic. Brilliantly done.

Solace (2016)

Finished here. It's been fun.

Welcome to New York
+

A pleasant surprise. Like The Wolf of Wall Street, this film tries to show the morally bankruptcy of someone in a high position of power; however, this film doesn't try to glorify the main character's actions. Abel Ferrara has never been one who strays from controversial material, so he's perfectly suited to handle this sort of film.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Goodbye, South Goodbye

Similar to City of Sadness, Hsou-Hsien weaves a delicate tapestry filled with numerous characters, who are all compelling in their own distinct way. This is a film set around the gangster lifestyle, yet nothing here feels glamorized. If anything, it really does capture the day-to-day of what living in such an environment must feel like. Upon further viewings, I can definitely see this becoming a personal favorite.

Pauline at the Beach (1983, Éric Rohmer)

Another exquisite, enchanting gem of a film from Rohmer. There's something about his cinematic approach, his characters and the fable-like vibe of his movies that is utterly disarming but invariably thought-provoking at the same time. Beautifully shot by the great Nestor Almendros, this deceptively superficial "moral tale" blows through the viewer's senses like a gentle summer breeze - colorful and serenely playful.

Mulholland Drive

Is a critic on the culture of Hollywood. How we take young beautiful actresses, raise them up as high as we can, only to drop them when we no longer want them. This theme is highlighted during the “Club Silencio” sequence. We see a woman sing a heartbreaking song to a half empty theater. Diane and Camilla stare at this woman and cry their eyes out. During a high note the woman falls back dead, but the song keeps playing along. She is dragged off stage and the audience just stares at the empty stage still listening to the song. The audience doesn’t care; if you gave your heart and soul to them they only care about the product. This is why the cliché phrase, “the show must go on”, beautifully describes the culture in Hollywood. Side note: This movie also pays tribute to Sunset Blvd. A movie that also plays with the idea of how ugly the culture in Hollywood is. Both Wilder and Lynch studied the “human putrefaction” in our society.

I go more in depth over at my site.

@Redwell When you say Ernest Borgnine in Targets, you must mean Boris Karloff.
Nice catch. It's because his name in the movie is "Byron Orlok" which kept reminding me of "Ernest Borgnine" lol.

Another great entry into the MCU. We learn of Quills origins, delve deeper into the Guardians and who they are, and more explosions, space battles and humor. It was everything it needed to be. I liked it quite a bit, but not as much as the first. I think what made Guardians 1 so good is that it caught everyone by surprise. No one expected it to be good. Many predicting the first MCU disappointment. But it turned into one of their best films. The only issue I have with Guardians 2 is that the focus seemed a bit off. They have two story lines that split off in the first act, but merge back into one for the third. That works very well often times in books, but for this film it seemed off. Then again if that is my only complaint, it is a good thing. It has a very healthy dose of humor with family (even one that is dysfunctional) being the main theme. Well worth the price of admission.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to get the soundtrack on my iPhone now.

Unregistered User

Andrei Rublev (1966)

Despite what I had heard, I didn't find this slow or difficult to watch. In fact, the 3 hours + went in fairly quickly. There's no doubt a lot of it went over my head as a lot of Tarkovsky does but I still really enjoyed this. Looking forward to more.