Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I didn't mean to call you a meat loaf, Jack!
An American Werewolf in London (1981) -

I just finished this movie and I wasn't expecting much, but I haven't been this surprised since I saw Kingsman. I felt like watching a movie from my horror watchlist and decided to give werewolfs a chance. I have to say that I was genuinly scared at parts, and even though by the end I was kind of laughing (in a good way), its been a while since a horror movie frightened me (last one was Martyrs); plus its probably the first werewolf-related movie that has ever scared me. Now I understand why so many people have it as their favourite horror film and it has definitely made a spot in my top 10 horror films.
PS: Also the first transformation scene will also make its way to my all time favourite scenes. The movie deserves a second viewing, probably some time this week.

Welcome to the human race...
The title cracks me up because there was a crazy gay club right near Fenway Park named Ramrod, and that's the only time I've ever heard that word before.

Anyway...

Iron Man 2 -

Better than I remember. I wonder how many other of the lesser MCU films will hold up on second viewings.

It has its moist moments. It has its pee moments.
Okay, I don't know exactly what you mean, Max, but I must find out. I laughed out loud at this description. I MUST see this!

Saw a movie and its sequel that I've been wanting to see. The first is Lady Snowblood (1973), starring the beautiful Meiko Kaji, as Yuki Kashima or the Lady Snowblood of the title. She is born in a prison to her mother who wanted her baby to grow up to be an instrument of revenge for her. The mom's husband was murdered by a band of bad guys (and one gal), and the mom was raped, and one child killed. So, while dying in childbirth, she wishes her vengeful spirit into her child to grow up and kill the bad guys. I don't think the spirit thing works so much as the mother's friend in prison raising her and having her trained by an unknown samurai (we get to see her training sequence in flashback) and as she grows, she becomes the weapon her mother wished for. She sets out on the trail of revenge and is soon hacking and slashing with style. She carries an umbrella with a katana hidden inside. All the fight scenes are choreographed expertly and Lady Snowblood is a force to be reckoned with. Loved this move!

Lady Snowblood 2: Love Song of Vengeance (1974)

Sequel to Lady Snowblood is not great, but very good, with Snowblood being hunted by the authorities for the murders she committed in the first film. She's sent to the gallows but rescued by a government official and hired to track down and murder a radical who has a incriminating paper on several officials. She's supposed to get the paper also. The first half drags a bit, but is still compelling as she poses as a maid for her intended victim. She begins to do what her teacher taught her never to do: have feelings for anyone. This is important as she gets caught up in the crooked government's plan for the people and her compassion for the village she's in. So she begins to defy them and the blood begins to flow. This is a well-made, worthy sequel. Still, lower your expectations just a little bit and you'll have a great time.

Battle Royale (2000)

Great, grim, but still involving action-packer with young teen students forced by the government to fight to the death till only one remains. That one will supposedly be returned to their family. This is all because students have gotten out of control, taking over classrooms, refusing to come to school and causing general chaos in the country. So the government thought up the battle. We're given a handful of kids to focus on and see how they fare in the struggle. The main two are Shuya and Noriko, who promise not to kill each other, but will defend each other. They are joined by Shôgo, whom they're not too sure about.

There are quite a few rotten apples in the bunch, the worst being "transfer student" Kazuo, who wears a suit, has unkempt hair, and carries a machine gun for mowing down bunches of students. Yukie is a kill-crazy gal who changes weapons on a whim and smiles while killing. Chiaki Kuriyama, who played Gogo in Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is here as a student who goes bonkers when she receives a scratch from a fellow student.

Many of the teens are given different weapons, and some none at all. The expectation is that they will either be murdered outright or pick up a weapon from a dead student and defend themselves. The students are fitted with explosive collars should they try to escape. This all takes place on an evacuated island in the middle of the ocean, where an ex-teacher monitors the deaths and announces them over loudspeaker every day. I understand this was a controversial film due to the nature of "children" killing each other. Well, that's exactly the point of the film---it's horrible that they're doing this. It's also a futuristic story about society out of control and this is the government's resolution. Again, a great movie. I understand there's a Part 2. Looking forward to it one day.

The Conjuring 2 (2016)

Sequel to the hit horror movie from 2013 is a fine, goose bump raising flick. Concerns the same paranormal expert couple from the first film, Ed and Lorraine Warren (Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga), who are first seen investigating the famous Amityville house, where Lorraine has a disturbing vision that will follow her throughout the film's narrative. She is so upset that she talks Ed into "retiring" for a while. But the haunting of a house in North London soon draws them back into the field, if you will. The haunting is centered around an 11-year-old girl, Janet, but soon, despite not believing, everyone in the Hodgson family's circle will witness the supernatural events. I am not a person to be "scared" of a movie, but this one really had me squirming in my seat and very tense. Wilson is fine once more as the more stoic of the Warrens, but Very Farmiga is excellent as the wife who fears for her husband's safety and the monstrous entity she's seen, both in vision and in reality. Madison Wolfe almost steals the movie as the poor child under constant attack from evil forces. I really had a good, spooky time with this film and I think it's a notch above the previous one.

Don't Breathe (2016)

“I was cured, all right!”

Destiny's Son (1962)
Directed by Kenji Misumi
A tale about a man doomed by his own destiny, who managed to fail in every aspect of his life but it was a great swordsman. In just 1h 11min Misumi managed to told a tragic story about a man seeking his own death!

The Last Samurai (1974)
Directed by Kenji Misumi
This was the last film by master Misumi, I know a lot of people just know his 'Lone Wolf and Cub' film series but all of his filmography is a lost gem!
The Last Samurai, like many others show us the twilight of the shogun and the transition to a new world, a world without samurai! All the others films that shows us the end of the samurai, the story ends in the end of the shogunato Kamakura, but in this one, we see how they lived after that era, what happend with all that honor and devotion that was extinct from night to day? The film also has a twist in the end.
It was also the only feature film that he wrote. He died the following year at the age of 54. A 2h 39min Chanbara/jidaigeki, Action/Drama with a humor that comes out of nowhere.
As my journey through Misumi's filmography continues, I already know that he was one of the best directors of the 60's/70's.
The Last Samurai, what an epic finale for the career of a stylish master!

Passengers

Solid little sci-fi flick, the moral dilemma at it's core had me wondering what I would do in that situation (exactly the same probably). I think this film could have been even better if it had concentrated more on the human story, like in the end they recap many years in a minute or two, I would of liked to see another hour but nevertheless I enjoyed it all

My wife never saw this so I had to watch this again with her so we are ready for vol 2.

This is a well made Marvel movie, better than Avengers 2.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

La La Land - it wasn't spectacular, but it was subtle enough for my taste. Two dance sequences between Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling stood out for me and there is a twist that breaks the stereotype for this genre of film.

Final Rating: B+

The Harder They Fall - 7.5/10
Hey, that's one of my favorite Bogart films. It was kind of hard for me to watch knowing it was his last film...and that he was very ill at the time of making it. Good to see some love for that movie.

La La Land (2016)

There's only a handful of musicals I love, and most of them grate on my nerves so I had limited expectations for this movie. The opening number on the freeway is not something I enjoyed, yet I would almost say it wowed me with it's impressiveness. My rating is slightly high for my overall enjoyment of the movie, but I have to give it credit for how well done it was. I didn't think there were too many musical numbers, and they at least didn't take me out of the movie. I find Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone to be enormously likable actors, and their romance was believable, and that was the key to the movie for me. I was on edge for much of the movie because what I wanted to be happening wasn't, but that at least means I was invested. It was beautiful to look at, and there were a few great moments that had an effect on me. I wouldn't quite call it a personal favorite, but I think it perfectly accomplished what it was trying to do. Just as an aside, I thought it was an interesting movie from a racial perspective.
I just seen this, glad you liked it, so did I. I have a couple questions:

I was on edge for much of the movie because what I wanted to be happening wasn't
What did you want to happen?

I thought it was an interesting movie from a racial perspective.
That's interesting, in what way?

Oh, and what did you think of how their relationship ended up?

I just seen this, glad you liked it, so did I. I have a couple questions:
What did you want to happen?
I wanted them to fully commit to each other, like two people in love should. Everything else should be a lesser priority.

That's interesting, in what way?
It seemed that every single scene had multiple races, and it seemed so noticeably intentional to me. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Oh, and what did you think of how their relationship ended up?
I thought it sucked, but I thought it was great as a viewer.

A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

This is the second movie I've watched this week that deals in a fantastical way with what happens after death. With the other movie, Heaven Can Wait, I basically was able to forget that I was watching fantasy because it only focused on it for a couple minutes at the beginning and end. This movie deals with it the whole way through, and I have a very hard time getting lost in my imagination. Thankfully, this movie had me hooked after the first 15 minutes. I had to focus more than normal to keep track of the story, but it's a good story that's very well executed. I thought it was excellent as a love story, and it had some very interesting visuals.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Dressmaker
It is truly amazing when a movie takes you in a completely different direction than your initial expectation and with a whole lot more intensity and avoidance of the usual tropes; and holy crap they truly did it with this movie.
I special shout out to Judy Davis who plays Kate Winslet's mom; Mad Molly. What a wonderfully cantankerous old bitty!!!