True Historical Events You Think Would Make a Great Movie

Tools    

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Here's one I'd like to see.

I was reading about Krystyna Skarbek, a Polish secret agent who worked for the British SOE during WWII in Nazi occupied Poland and France. Her and her exploits are equally fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystyna_Skarbek

Milunka Savić was a Serbian heroin from the times of the Balkan Wars and World War I, so since 1912 to 1918.
When the mobilization began in 1912 she applied under a male name removing the "ka" from her real name basically. She fought in the Balkan Wars dressed as a man, literally pulling a Mulan, until she was wounded and the hospital staff realized she was a woman.
In World War I, she also volunteered and was a part of the most elite unit of the Serbian army called "The Iron Regiment". She was wounded, captured 23 Bulgarian soldiers, wounded again for nine times I think, the French called her The Serbian Joan of Arc, and she ended up being the most highly decorated female soldier ever, not just in Serbia, everywhere. Also earning the French highest military honor Legion of Honour.

In peace times she schooled 30 kids from her village and there are really bits that I left out from her war years.

It's a criminally unknown person and would probably be a good shout since Hollywood is really big on making female empowerment movies.

Since everything has gotten overtly political these days, why not our gangster movies?

I think a movie about the The Bonnot Gang, a gang of French anarchist who embraced the criminal lifestyle, and the birth of Illegalism would be a very timely movie.

We're also overdue for a Carlos Marcello movie, or just a decent gangster movie that takes place in the French Quarter. Leo and DeNiro were working on one in 2011/2012, but seems to be in production hell now.

Which is a great plug for my blog if you're interested in the New Orleans Mafia

https://louisianamafia.wordpress.com/

the escape of charles II after the battle of Worcester. it is a thrilling tale full of narrow escapes, disguises, and with some wonderful comic moments. years ago there was a lame fictionalised version called The Moonraker, but the real story is much more exciting.

I don't actually wear pants.
I'd say the Modoc War, which was fought near where I live, from November, 1872, until June of 1873, would make a good movie. I think there is one, but I'm not sure if it still exists. I'm tempted to write a screenplay based off of it, but I don't know if it'd go anywhere.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
1873*
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I Enjoy Working With People
The story of Thomas Paine - how he wrote pamphlets that made the American revolution successful by changing public opinion about the movement, fought in some battles, then was forgotten after the war. He went to England to visit his birthplace and mother, but left to seek work in France where he was first honored as a hero and served in national office, then ran afoul of the revolutionaries there and was thrown in prison. He languished in prison for months, where he almost died from illness and escaped execution only because of an administrative error that failed to see that his cell door was marked for the death order. He wrote letters to the American Ambassador pleading for his release, but the Ambassador buried them and hid Paine's plight from the American government - he hated Paine. Paine wrote to Jefferson, and eventually was released and resurrected as a hero again in France. Unfortunately for Paine, a pamphlet he wrote in Europe about religion caused him to be declared an enemy of the state in Britain - so he had to sneak out of France to the US quietly to avoid capture by the British. When he arrived back in the US after years away, he was destitute, his contributions to the country unrecognized, and many of his friends turned their backs on him due to his unorthodox approach to religion. He took in a woman who, with her husband, had been his hosts in France and later moved to the US. Paine spent a lot of his meager income on her and her son while the husband was in Europe on business. In the end, Paine died poor and virtually friendless, having given up his beloved New York farm.

Here's one I'd like to see.

I was reading about Krystyna Skarbek, a Polish secret agent who worked for the British SOE during WWII in Nazi occupied Poland and France. Her and her exploits are equally fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystyna_Skarbek

She was an amazing woman. She was in the news in the UK yesterday with a short piece on the radio about her. To commemorate her life a bronze has been made which was unveiled in the Polish Club in London yesterday.

Y'all have come up with some great suggestions, especially re Buster Keaton and Thomas Paine.

I believe we're overdue for a good expose Oliver Stone type movie about the 9/11 World Trade Center attack. There has been a massive amount of scientific evidence established since the tragedies, that shows that it was a "false flag" event which may not have even involved Arabs.

The screen writers would have no single book on which to base the treatment, as they did in JFK. But there's a ton of well-researched evidence out there to use.

~Doc

A "Spotlight-esc" Film made in 10 Years about the battle between the Media, and President Trump.

I think the really pressing issue of our time is the Middle-East War and I have yet to see a great film/documentary on the middle-eastern conflict so far. There have been good films on 9/11 and the war against terror (as seen from the American/western perspective) and there have been good documentaries on the tragic loss of life in countries such as Syria and Iraq (as seen from Middle-Eastern film-makers). In fact one of the greatest films of the past decade whose brilliance went unrecognised by both critics and audiences was Iraq in Fragments (2007) by director James Longley that brilliantly exposed the buried religious tensions that've plagued all middle-eastern countries in the post Ottoman era.

But my point is none of these go in-depth into origins of the middle-eastern war. To honestly understand this conflict, it is important to study the primitive years of Islamic age in the post-Muhammad era. Now the conception of the middle-eastern war doesn't coincide with the birth of Islam but rather the division of muslim population in the Arabian peninsula into the Shia and Sunni (and Kurds) groups following the death of the Prophet Muhammad. The modern extremist sunni movement has its origins in the beginning of the 19th century when the muslim scolar Muhammad ibn ʿAbd al-Wahhab out of sheer dismay started his own religious cult (which later came to be known as Wahhabism) which advocated a radical, Sunni exclusionist and puritanism interpretation of the Quran, the so called sharia law, which vehemently differed from other more liberal interpretations prevalent at the time. Wahhabism classifies any deviation from the literal reading of the Quran (including the rejection of the first 3 caliphs by the Shia muslims) as an encroachment on the sovereignty of the Prophet Muhammad's original teachings. Of course although Abd al-Wahhab was not a violent man, his views were inherited by a general by the name of Ibn Saud who used this radical interpretation for his own political gain. Ibn Saud led an army of his followers and invaded several shia dominated villages within the Ottomon Empire (including the holy city of Holy City of Karbala) murdering every man, woman and child in their path. They were essentially waging Jihad - holy war - against the takfir - infidels. Although eventually Ibn Saud was absolutely crushed by Egyptians, this so-called Ikhman, or brotherhood of man, led by Ibn Saud himself, is the original ancestor of every sunni extremist group known to man today, including the Islamic State and Al Qaeda.

But enough of backstory, here's my proposal -

I want to see a film entirely devoted to this man and his family -

The most dangerous man on the planet today.

For those of you who don't know, that is King Salman of the Saudi family, ruler of Saudi Arabia. With a net worth of over 25 billion dollars, the Saudi family has been one of the most well known and active financiers of global terrorism and the world's biggest exporter of wahhbist extremism. And the sad part is everyone is afraid of getting on his bad side (and rightly so if you ask me because he has the power to cause serious harm to any country in the world, not to mention the billions of muslims who look upon upon him as a godly figure who will seek retribution if any harm is done to him).

The saudi family was founded by a Sunni extremist group and its primary motivation is just to constantly put more and more pressure on Shia dominated countries in the middle east (which includes Iran, which is almost entirely composed of Shia muslims and Iraq, which has had a Shia majority government ever since the appointment Al-Malicki by the Bush administration) which threaten its authority. And that's why the Saudi family keeps funding Sunni extremist groups like ISIS, to try to put more and more pressure on the governments of Syria, Iraq and to a much lesser extent Israel, to undermine their strength and maintain superiority in the middle east.

I know a film of this sort will put anyone involved in it in some serious political hot water (with even the threat of assassination) and I don't think any studio would dare to fund a film on the Saudi family. But this is the story I want to see being told on the big screen, on the Saudi family's influence on exporting the Wahhabist culture. Forget about 9/11, this is far and away the most important political issue of our time and people need to know the truth about how this middle-eastern war began but I guess at this point it's all just wishful thinking.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Wish I could triple reply that post, paladin.