Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Stray Dog (1949)

+

Kurosawa directs Mifune as a rookie homicide cop who gets his gun pickpocketed on a bus. The dude from Ikiru is a veteran cop who helps him out. They follow lead after lead and suspect after suspect until we get to the end. The movie looks great and becomes very involving. It was just missing the big moment I needed for it to become a favorite.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was well worth the wait and a great sequel to what honestly was one of the biggest surprises of 2015. While I still prefer the original over this sequel, I find that it complements and expands on the… galaxy set by the original. James Gunn continues to deliver his vision in a Marvel universe, something that Edgar Wright found to be almost impossible. I can only hope that Thor Ragnarokhor is also the singular vision of its director; Taika Waititi. I was emotionally invested in a tiny humanoid tree and that’s why I love movies.

Full review over at my site!

The Social Network (2010) -

Why the hell does Fincher not have an Oscar?

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) -

Despite being made by the same people, Vol. 2 seems like a sequel made by another director trying way too hard to prove that they knew why audiences loved the first Guardians film, and completely missing the point in the process.

While Volume 2 is underwhelming at best (and tedious at its worst), there is still quite a bit here to enjoy, especially for fans of the comics. I was a little worried about how a particular character would be represented in the film, but I was actually rather impressed with how they managed to blend both the image of the classic version with their cinematic counterpart. There are things I enjoyed in vol 2, but they were unfortunately dragged down by overused jokes, an unnecessarily long runtime, and a plot that doesn't seem to flow very well, which seems to go out of its way to separate the main characters for arbitrary reasons.

I saw the first Guardians of the Galaxy in theatres 5 times. I honestly don't know if I'll rewatch Vol 2 when it comes out on DVD.

I haven't seen the first one and i'm not sure if i ever will. That slightly surprised me though as i've actually read a few opinions that the second one is better, well not read actually just read the first few sentences that tries to establish the second one as superior.

I was going to jokingly say that those people are wrong, but I didn't want anyone to think I was serious.

For me, despite trying to go in with low expectations, Vol 2 was just okay. It didn't even remotely capture the magic that the first film had, at least for me. The music wasn't as good either. I did, however, get one of those awesome IMAX posters that is going on my wall despite my indifference towards the film.

I was underwhelmed by the sequel as well and for a lot of the same reasons...

I'll have to see it again to cement my opinion because on one side I enjoyed because I like the characters I liked some of the gags and jokes but overall it was a mess and tried too hard - though I gotta find out of big of a problem that might be for a revisit. It's just one of those movies where you perhaps want to like it more than you actually did. But we'll see...

I liked the first one, but not enough to be interested in the sequel.
I repped you by accident here, was repping Cosmic and MM and i just carried on with you for some reason. I want that back at a later date

It's just one of those movies where you perhaps want to like it more than you actually did.
I definitely had that with Doctor Strange. The more I thought about that film afterwards, the more I thought I'd like it upon a rewatch. After it came out on DVD I rewatched it with my room mates...and I liked it even less than I did before. The things I liked were still good, but the things I didn't care for, or found irritating the first time around seemed much worse. And that's what I'm afraid is going to happen with this movie.

I'll probably rewatch Guardians vol 2 eventually; it just won't be for a very long time.

Coonskin (Bakshi, 1975)

Bakshi's blaxploitation acid trip is a chaotic hodgepodge utilizing broad stereotypes to mock how we generalize each other inside of and across racial boundaries as well as taking to task the false promise of America's melting pot.

99 Homes (Bahrani, 2014)

99 Homes doesn't patronize its audience like The Big Short, it doesn't think it has to trick its audience like Money Monster, and it doesn't let people ignorantly applaud like The Wolf of Wall Street. It's a film that grapples with class and economic hardship on a personal level that people can identify with. My problems with it are mostly based on some inorganic monologues, Garfield's elusive accent, and some of the artificial melodrama which betrays the grounded spirit of the film. Still, the most important thing it does, it does right.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Before I wake.

I just cant get through this. I feel like I'm wading through wet cement. Maybe that's the director's intention in which case, it works.

Been a while....

Bram stoker's dracula (1992)

- when the young keanu was so adventurous -

I'd encountered these, let's said, numerous times before on tv but I barely have chances ,or sometimes, an intention to sit it well and quietly stare at it.

First thought I was obviously impressed when copolla did something like terry gilliam or early sam raimi will do - especially one particular scene that I keep in awe with it till now (y) -

But overall, as I see it, at it fullest, well idk how to put it into words, it was a bloody bloody pretty pretty bland storytelling. The like What the sole purpose of this renfield guy, in presence, when in the end there's no neccesity about him at all - what all this feeling when there were scenes and the angles changing was abruptly disjointed in editing, by dialog and narrative structure itself - for increasing the unease atsmospher? Style? Well whatever mr coppola

what the heck happen when one character suddenly kicked the door get into the room, interupt masturbating party, then come briefly and so fast explanation on one angle, and hey, he ain't even mad, he's okay about it - so sweet so smooth so convenient -

the expected guys, anthony hopkins often put off in angle along with other as well - barely hit the mark - and the always intriguing gary oldman seems just isolated away on his own manic - which both probably the only good thing to talk about regard performances and bit livelier~deadlier characterization

Etc

- just my personal stupid rant - and again I catched you monica belucci, I'm pretty sure it was you, or it isn't :/ -

Heaven Can Wait (1943)

This is from the same director as Shop Around the Corner, and I feel similar about both. I can't really find any flaws but I'm not fully connecting, although I had better luck with this one. I never saw Don Ameche before in anything in which he didn't look ancient, and I thought he did a nice job here. He plays a guy who's checking into hell after his passing, but he has to tell his life story first to see if he's admitted or sent upstairs. The beginning and end of this movie dealing with that dilemma only amounts to a few minutes, so the plot is basically is life story. He's a spoiled kid who turns into a ladies man but does find love and get married to a character played by Gene Tierney. I think the movie is best known as a comedy, but I enjoyed the romance part more. It has loads of charm and elegance, and it looks fantastic. I also thought they did a nice job with aging the characters believably. It's a very nice movie.

Surprised you hadn't seen that Cricket. Thought it was a HOF flick. That might have been the one I watched because Daniel waa so high on it.