Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

La La Land (2016)

There's only a handful of musicals I love, and most of them grate on my nerves so I had limited expectations for this movie. The opening number on the freeway is not something I enjoyed, yet I would almost say it wowed me with it's impressiveness. My rating is slightly high for my overall enjoyment of the movie, but I have to give it credit for how well done it was. I didn't think there were too many musical numbers, and they at least didn't take me out of the movie. I find Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone to be enormously likable actors, and their romance was believable, and that was the key to the movie for me. I was on edge for much of the movie because what I wanted to be happening wasn't, but that at least means I was invested. It was beautiful to look at, and there were a few great moments that had an effect on me. I wouldn't quite call it a personal favorite, but I think it perfectly accomplished what it was trying to do. Just as an aside, I thought it was an interesting movie from a racial perspective.

“I was cured, all right!”

-Ok, stop shooting in the air you mo*******ker. You're wasting bullets.
-Hey, don't do that this is stupid.... Oh Christ...
-NO! You're little bi**h, f**k this film
-Don't shoot in the hand, come on, he's out, shoot in the head! IN THE HEAD!!!!!!! NOOO Don't left the ******* gun near the body!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

For the blood!

Damn
If it had boobs, at least I would have seen something cool.

Unregistered User

Under the Volcano (1984)

What a film and what a performance from Albert Finney!! He plays a recently retired British Consul, living in Mexico and with a severe alcohol problem. Highly recommended!!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Under the Volcano (1984)

What a film and what a performance from Albert Finney!! He plays a recently retired British Consul, living in Mexico and with a severe alcohol problem. Highly recommended!!

I was trying to watch this 3 months ago, seemed to have a slow start, and I wasn't in the mood.... I will check it, now

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

-Don't shoot in the hand, come on, he's out, shoot in the head! IN THE HEAD!!!!!!! NOOO Don't left the ******* gun near the body!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

For the blood!

Damn
I actually really enjoyed this remake.

Suspect's Reviews

American Psycho

American Psycho is honestly one of my all-time favorite movies. The craft employed by both the director and the actor to bring to life this unique and twisted story is remarkable. The social commentary of how homogenized that material life can be and how it would drive someone to murder in order to break from the norm is brilliant. Ok, I said no more deep diving but I find it brilliant that the song Bateman chooses to praise Huey Lewis and the News for is “Hip to be Square”. A song in which the entire message revolves around conformity to society’s norms and breaking away from your independent style of thinking.

Full review over at my site!

Bats (Morneau, 1999)

This movie can best be described as something you would find on TNT at noon. It definitely had potential for a campy little horror/disaster flick, but they only use the charming practical bats for tight shots, and SyFy channel tier special effects for everything else. Amazingly, the ugly animations aren't half as revolting as the warped, dutch style insert shots they use during any kinetic editing. What an absolutely bizarre stylistic choice.

It's not exactly uncommon for a B movie to overcome its lack of craft, but there's really nothing to fill the void. The characters are flat, the performances aren't bad or weird enough to pop, and the token black character belting one word punchlines falls short of ridiculous and hovers around sad. So yeah, turn off TNT, and go watch Birds (Hitchcock, 1963) or Birdemic: Shock and Terror (Nguyen, 2010) depending on what experience you're looking for. Either that or make sure to pregame for this like it's college football.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
La La Land (2016)

There's only a handful of musicals I love, and most of them grate on my nerves so I had limited expectations for this movie. The opening number on the freeway is not something I enjoyed, yet I would almost say it wowed me with it's impressiveness. My rating is slightly high for my overall enjoyment of the movie, but I have to give it credit for how well done it was. I didn't think there were too many musical numbers, and they at least didn't take me out of the movie. I find Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone to be enormously likable actors, and their romance was believable, and that was the key to the movie for me. I was on edge for much of the movie because what I wanted to be happening wasn't, but that at least means I was invested. It was beautiful to look at, and there were a few great moments that had an effect on me. I wouldn't quite call it a personal favorite, but I think it perfectly accomplished what it was trying to do. Just as an aside, I thought it was an interesting movie from a racial perspective.
Another fan!

Awesome remake! I agree

Night of the Living Dead (1968, George A. Romero)

Modern audiences will most likely find this low-budget Romero classic dated and not scary at all but, of course, there's more to it than meets the eye. The remarkable open-to-interpretation ending is, no doubt, what elevates it above your typical zombie flick and makes it so endlessly relevant. Among other things, Romero explores psychological dynamic and hierarchy of decision making (and importance thereof) within a group in an emergency situation, playing a trick on the audience by partly reversing the moral positions of the main characters, Ben and Harry (with Ben's bravado and stubborn authoritativeness proving ruinous in the end).

Great film!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Whity - 8.5/10

13th movie of Fassbinder I have seen, and it's probably my favorite... It's definitely the best story, you guys should check it out - I won't say anymore... Except that it's hilarious, black.

It must be rare, since it's the first Fassbinder that has lower than 700 ratings.. It's why I once put it in, and then just put another of his movies, but I usually know that ratings tend to be low when there aren't thousands of ratings on IMDB.

Oh, and though it's in German, the setting is in the US.

Gilda (1946)

-

From the noirs list, I thought the story was fine but besides the point. The heart of the film is the up and down relationship of characters played by Scott Glenn and Rita Hayworth. More than that, it's a fantastic showcase for the smokin' hot Hayworth. The only thing is that I think Glenn is best at playing the slithery type, which he does well in this film, and it's a little hard to believe he could score a girl like that.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)

For the blood!

Damn
Yea it's a top remake. The end revenge is exhilarating.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The wicker man (1973)

A stiff, uncharismatic unlikeable lead, weird themes, a mildly interesting story that waxes and wanes, no tension equal a movie that hasn't aged well.

2/5

The Hunter (Nettheim, 2011)

The good old Shane (Stevens, 1953) formula: a mysterious stranger arrives in a new place, is taken in by a family, and fends off local aggressors. Sure, it could've aimed a bit higher and gone the Moby Dick or The Old Man and the Sea route, but Carnahan's The Grey had came out 10 months earlier and scratched that itch. Instead, we get a little of everything, and some of it works really well.

The survival element showcases the exotic wilderness alongside some genuine bushcraft, the family element produces the scene in the bath tub as well as the scene with the Bruce Springsteen song, and the thriller element does lend some thematic depth. Even at the edge of the world, you see man carving away its forests for a career and industrialist mercenaries trying to exploit the last of a species. This movie is admittedly scatterbrained, but it does prove itself at least momentarily effective in every direction which it takes. Jack of all trades, master of none.