Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Nothing is better than blood spray
Yes! Ultraviolence, I love the Lone Wolf and Cub movies, or Baby Cart movies, which ever you want to call them. Back when they were on VHS, I had all six of the original ones, now I only have the first two on DVD but love them dearly. I do somewhat miss the Americanized VHS from 1980, where the voices were dubbed in corny English, and when the Lone Wolf finds his murdered mate, he's holding her body and says, "They will pray, with rivers of blood!" The DVD doesn't have this dialogue. It's still greatness.

8MM (Schumacher, 1999)

At first I kind of wrote this movie off as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Fincher, 2011) by way of Law & Order: SVU (Wolf, 1999–), but at some later point I realized it was more like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by way of Se7en (Fincher, 1995). I like my comfy cop procedural television, but the latter comparison is definitely an improvement. It proved to be an accurate observation once I discovered the man behind the screenplay is none other than Andrew Kevin Walker who also wrote Se7en.

Surprisingly, though Phoenix and Gandolfini costar, they rarely get room to shine in the manner that Cage does. Even more unexpectedly, a Nicolas Cage at this stage of his career manages to play it straight in all the right places. Of course, during the emotional highs in the third act, he does unleash some of that golden Cage rage we all know and love. That's a welcome reprieve for this increasingly drear picture.

Thematically 8MM does borrow heavily from Se7en in regards to a man pure of heart being dragged down to the level of the people which he despises. Thankfully, it draws this development out over a longer period, focuses more on the process of the transformation, and doesn't reuse Andrew Kevin Walker's career defining catch-22 over again. The more original idea that 8MM brings to the table is about the way that human nature encouraging us to look for patterns and explanations can be futile. That's why a killer without a motive is so captivating. It also draws a parallel using the rich benefactor whose motivation amounts to nothing short of his own capability. There isn't an evil of greater purity than that which exists only to exist. That's a realization that can break a man.

Split (2017)

It Follows (2014, David Robert Mitchell)

Now this is the kind of horror movie I like - subliminal, creepy, mysterious. Sure, it wasn't without its flaws, and the potential of its premise may not have been exploited to the fullest, but it still was hellishly effective in creating a deeply unsettling, suspenseful atmosphere of pent-up panic and paranoia. The cinematography was excellent (check out those zooms and pans), as was the spine-chillingly eerie electronic score by Disasterpeace. On the flip side, I thought that, while it started out great, the novelty of the premise wore off somewhat as the story progressed, causing the film to fizzle out a bit toward the ending - but that's a minor quibble. Overall it was a winner, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Unregistered User

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

Firstly, I didn't think it was as good as the first. It sometimes focuses too long on a characters story and the other thing that bothered me was the ending which just had too much going on for me. All that aside, its still really entertaining and has most of the good things that were in the first. There are really funny moments, some of the action scenes are great and its an even better soundtrack than the first film.

Love (1971)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Legend in my own mind

The nostalgic in me wanted to watch this even though I thought it would be really poor.

Kickboxer and Bloodsport were two of my favourite films growing up and although when I watch them now, I notice the wooden acting and holes in the plot but it still doesn't matter. I'ts like I watch them through the eyes of my 12 year old self.

This was a bad film and I didn't have the nostalgia to fall back on as it was a reboot/sequel/fresh interpretation kind of thing.

The story was as with the others, all about revenge and the good guy sticking it to the big nasty man, but there was not enough that was different to the original for it to be unique, and the parts where they tried to modernise it were weak.

I didn't hate it, but it doesn't come close to the originals. There again, few 'reboots' ever do.

I've always loved your signature -- it sounds very conformist

If YOU would have loved "Love", I'd check it out... I really like your movie tastes.
thanks bro
It's simply a great story. Love is a film about little white lies,
if you've ever cared for someone enough the thought of them kept you going, you need to see this film

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Last Night at the Theater: - The Circle & The Boss Baby

The Circle and The Boss Baby are two films I had no real prior intention of seeing at the theaters. The Circle has received a godawful response from critics and has generated no interest at the box-office, whereas, The Boss Baby has received a mixed-at-best response and delivered at the box-office quite well (I anticipate The Bossiest Baby will be scheduled shortly). I decided to watch them, mostly, because I wouldn't be seeing my girlfriend as much this week because of our work schedules, college, etc., and so, we figured we'd go out to eat and take a trip to the movie-theater.

The first and foremost was The Boss Baby, a film that, when I first saw trailers for, I thought looked like a stupid and pitiful offering from Dreamworks, which has recently reduced itself to Trolls, Home, and Penguins of Madagascar, with the enjoyable Kung Fu Panda and terrific How to Train Your Dragon series receiving installments on occasion. However, the reviews and audience-reception had me expecting an entertaining enough romp, and, for what it's worth, that's about what was received from the film. The film was, at best, a cute film for kids, with the occasional bit of humor that I found myself smirking at. This isn't a Pixar film or How to Train your Dragon, which carries themes that feel just as much presented for a mature audience as a small child, this film is downright targeting the (very) young demographic, and it writes its material with that demographic in mind. Thereby, while it isn't a great film, I can't really bring myself to bash it too harshly. The biggest criticism I'd say I have is that it was too sentimental, and the sentiments it did have, felt like they were a little under-cooked or paint-by-the-numbers with their execution. The small child a few rows in-front of us loved it to pieces though, and with the occasional sprouts of visual inspiration and the ability to embrace its own ridiculousness, The Boss Baby is a good enough addition in Dreamwork's catalog.

The Circle was next. I definitely expected very little from this film. In-terms of critical response, The Boss Baby might as well have been Get Out (99% on Rotten Tomatoes) in-comparison to The Circle (around 10% on Rotten Tomatoes). Turns out, The Circle wasn't too bad either. The film basically carries the narrative of a woman, played by Emma Watson, that joins a company, aptly named The Circle, that eventually finds itself, perhaps, overstepping too far in its connection with its users. The concept is timely and certainly intriguing, carrying that "Big Brother is Watching" paranoia with it, but it's definitely rushed.

In a very minor spoiler, I remember one instance in-particular where one character tries to suggest Emma Watson's character is becoming too obsessed with The Circle, when, in-fact, she hasn't been with the company for very long and has shown no real signs of obsession with it. It almost felt like this accusation was meant at a later part of the film, but they didn't have enough time to space everything out.

I enjoyed some of the cinematic visuals and I enjoyed the concept, even if it was over-the-top and exaggerated. I think one critic in-particular regarded it as a romp comparable to one of the Da Vinci films, and that seems about right, in my opinion. I also enjoyed the end, which, I believe, went a different way than what I was expecting, which would have been the predictable route. All in all, while The Circle is too flawed to be considered a good film, it isn't a godawful film either, it suffers from pacing issues and its story could have used a couple of edits before starting production.

I can't particularly recommend either The Boss Baby or The Circle to the average person, that isn't to say I don't think you could enjoy them or that I don't think you should check them out when they come out on home-video, but, more to say that there are better films out at the theater I think will be more worth your time.

Last Night at the Theater: - The Circle & The Boss Baby

The Circle was next. I definitely expected very little from this film. In-terms of critical response, The Boss Baby might as well have been Get Out (99% on Rotten Tomatoes) in-comparison to The Circle (around 10% on Rotten Tomatoes). Turns out, The Circle wasn't too bad either. The film basically carries the narrative of a woman, played by Emma Watson, that joins a company, aptly named The Circle, that eventually finds itself, perhaps, overstepping too far in its connection with its users. The concept is timely and certainly intriguing, carrying that "Big Brother is Watching" paranoia with it, but it's definitely rushed.

In a very minor spoiler, I remember one instance in-particular where one character tries to suggest Emma Watson's character is becoming too obsessed with The Circle, when, in-fact, she hasn't been with the company for very long and has shown no real signs of obsession with it. It almost felt like this accusation was meant at a later part of the film, but they didn't have enough time to space everything out.

I enjoyed some of the cinematic visuals and I enjoyed the concept, even if it was over-the-top and exaggerated. I think one critic in-particular regarded it as a romp comparable to one of the Da Vinci films, and that seems about right, in my opinion. I also enjoyed the end, which, I believe, went a different way than what I was expecting, which would have been the predictable route. All in all, while The Circle is too flawed to be considered a good film, it isn't a godawful film either, it suffers from pacing issues and its story could have used a couple of edits before starting production.

I can't particularly recommend either The Boss Baby or The Circle to the average person, that isn't to say I don't think you could enjoy them or that I don't think you should check them out when they come out on home-video, but, more to say that there are better films out at the theater I think will be more worth your time.
I'll still go see The Circle, though I was vaguely concerned when I heard Emma Watson had been called to reshoots earlier this year, over a year after production had completed. I know reshoots aren't uncommon. but that seemed a tad odd.