Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

“I was cured, all right!”

A masterpiece!

Park Chan-wook you little Devil, I love you

Another great Kihachi Okamoto work!

A beautiful Yamada work! This is one of the best samurai movies ever!
Hiroyuki Sanada (The guy who kicked Tom Cruise's butt in The Last Samurai) was great in his role! The soundtrack by Isao Tomita was great too.

My journey through Hideo Gosha's filmography continues.

Watched the first 3 films in the Lone Wolf and Cub franchise by Kenji Misumi:

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades

Nothing is better than blood spray

Welcome to the human race...
Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

This franchise is kind of like the concept of the human centipede movies...

It starts off as something edible and then it begins to turn into sh*t. With every new entry, it seems to be taking in the same sh*t over and over again, until the newest result is just plopping to the ground as the oldest, stinkiest sh*tpile of them all. The plot in these things are as thin as diarrhea... and as messy too I can tell ya.

+

Anyway...

Ghost in the Shell (2017) -
, maybe

Not exactly good, but my feelings about it are complicated enough to potentially warrant a return to reviewing.

This was played in the theatre last night, and I happened to catch it and saw it for the very first time.

A true classic.

I didn't have high expectation due to the fact that this is a sequel of a classic.

It turned out to be very solid good, glad to see those characters are back to action.
  • Trainspotting
  • T2 Trainspotting

I don't care about sh*tting on a movie I don't like, but don't think I didn't have your coming reaction in my mind when I didn't like this at all either. I really hoped so, especially since the opening reverse slow-mo credits scene was kind of beautiful and fitting for the genre. They kind of ruined that by playing it back again but whatever...

Anyways, I have come this far. I see no reason not to finish the series while there is still only, supposedly, this final chapter left. At least I can do that in your honor, Iro.

Legend in my own mind

Captain Fantastic (2016)

Had heard all of the hype around this film but had never got around to taking it in.
Saw that it was on 'Amazon Prime instant' this afternoon so got involved.

Summary
It was a decent film, with a lot of interesting facets but overall, I am not sure what the overall point of the story was.
It was good and I largely enjoyed it, but for me it didn't live up to the hype.

I didn't have high expectation due to the fact that this is a sequel of a classic.

It turned out to be very solid good, glad to see those characters are back to action.
  • Trainspotting
  • T2 Trainspotting
I can't wait to see this. I too didn't have high expectations but from the reviews and the trailer I looks good

Rome, Open City (1945)

I picked this randomly off the Cannes' winners list. It's got an 8.1 IMDb rating, 100% Totton Tomatoes, and was an influence to legendary director Martin Scorsese. I have struggled to connect with many of the films from the Italian neorealist era, and this was no exception. I liked the story involving a resistance fighter trying to evade the Germans, but my interest only went so far despite some good moments. As with a lot of older foreign movies, I enjoyed being thrown into another time and place. That was the best thing about the movie for me, although there was nothing specific about it that I disliked.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

This franchise is kind of like the concept of the human centipede movies...

It starts off as something edible and then it begins to turn into sh*t. With every new entry, it seems to be taking in the same sh*t over and over again, until the newest result is just plopping to the ground as the oldest, stinkiest sh*tpile of them all. The plot in these things are as thin as diarrhea... and as messy too I can tell ya.

+
The RE films are guilty pleasures for me. I enjoyed Retribution, it's borderline self-parody and entertaining for what it is.

Also Sienna Guillory, yum

The RE films are guilty pleasures for me. I enjoyed Retribution, it's borderline self-parody and entertaining for what it is.
I can totally understand that. The self parody was obvious but still I didn't really connect with.

For me, I love the F&F movies and the self parody aspect is one I have come to really enjoy as well, so different franchise same principles.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The RE films are so far gone from the original flick. Each one has given diminishing returns for my interest. The one where they brought everyone back and it was a simulation or something really was dire.

Suspect's Reviews

The RE films are so far gone from the original flick. Each one has given diminishing returns for my interest. The one where they brought everyone back and it was a simulation or something really was dire.
Yep. That was the one I just sat through.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Afterlife is the worst one, where they're in a tower and we're introduced to squid zombies and a big dude with an axe. Most egregious is the incredibly lame fight with Whitaker aka Cardboard Villain with Sunglasses who frowns a lot. Even watching it ironically while intoxicated it's really bad.

The one you're referring to, Retribution, was better in my opinion because it played like a greatest hits compilation of previous films, and in many ways seemed to poke fun at them. It's bad but fun.

But in both films, what really annoys me are the gimmicky 3D effects. Oh wow, a slo-mo shot of Alice with glass flying at the audience, talk about eye-rolling. It's supposed to be a movie not a theme park ride.

Anyway, I genuinely love the first three RE flicks, especially the second one. It's a hoot.

Rome, Open City (1945)

I picked this randomly off the Cannes' winners list. It's got an 8.1 IMDb rating, 100% Totton Tomatoes, and was an influence to legendary director Martin Scorsese. I have struggled to connect with many of the films from the Italian neorealist era, and this was no exception. I liked the story involving a resistance fighter trying to evade the Germans, but my interest only went so far despite some good moments. As with a lot of older foreign movies, I enjoyed being thrown into another time and place. That was the best thing about the movie for me, although there was nothing specific about it that I disliked.
Now that makes me sad. I thought that was a great movie.