Do you still own your very first DVD?

Tools    

I always wondered if anyone still owns the first DVD they ever brought.

I in the past have sold loads of DVDs or given them away n I wish I never did coz if I had kept my old collection with the one I have now I would be looking at 1000+ DVDs.

That being said I still remember my very first DVD n even more I still own it:

The Lion King 2 Disc Edition, Brought in 2005

No.

The first DVD I bought for myself was Gladiator. I gave it away last year or the year before because by then I also had the extended edition DVD and the blu-ray. I didn't see any point in keeping all three.

No.

The first DVD I bought for myself was Gladiator. I gave it away last year or the year before because by then I also had the extended edition DVD and the Blu-ray. I didn't see any point in keeping all three.
That's a fair point, I can understand having multiple versions of the same movie is pointless unless there is a big reason why you would keep a certain edition.
I myself even have Lion King on Bluray but for some reason apart from more extras on the DVD I just couldn't part with my very first DVD

Oddly enough, my first DVD was the Doctor Who TV Movie and I think I just sold it .

I've had DVDs since 1998 when I got my first player. Think my first purchase was Demolition Man.
I still have it as well

One thing though... it has nothing on it no special features, no trailers, nothing.
Just "interactive menus" as according to the box

Interactive menus. Like, you can select either Play Movie or Jump To Chapter

I remember thinking to myself "These DVDs aren't much. Just convenient that they don't need rewinding"

The disc that changed my views of DVDs though was the Criterion release of Armageddon in 1999.
Bought it brand new on the day it was released and cost me £30 at the time... which is like spending £50 today lol!
Worth it though as it had everything on it. Music videos, trailers, making-of, interviews...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yes. When I bought my first DVD player, I was told that it could show multiple camera angles if the DVD supported it, so I made sure that the first DVD I bought supported multiple camera angles.

America's Greatest Roller Coaster Thrills: The Ultimate Scream Machines

When you say DVD JD, do you mean specifically for a movie or just any DVD in general.

I have a hard time remembering my first DVD exactly, but I'm fairly certain it was some pro-wrestling show in 2001 or 2002. My first movie though is harder to say, since I would just rent a bunch from Blockbuster and only actually buy one once in a great while. One that was possibly my first DVD was Evil Dead, which had a clear case and a very bare-bones menu. I think I still have it packed away in a box somewhere.

No.

The first DVD I ever had, to add to my hundreds of LaserDiscs, was the (then-new) special extended edition of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Years later I replaced it when I got a boxed set of four Leone Westerns (A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, GB&U, and A Fistful of Dynamite) and sold that original DVD.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've had DVDs since 1998 when I got my first player. Think my first purchase was Demolition Man.
I still have it as well

One thing though... it has nothing on it no special features, no trailers, nothing.
Just "interactive menus" as according to the box

Interactive menus. Like, you can select either Play Movie or Jump To Chapter

I remember thinking to myself "These DVDs aren't much. Just convenient that they don't need rewinding"

The disc that changed my views of DVDs though was the Criterion release of Armageddon in 1999.
Bought it brand new on the day it was released and cost me £30 at the time... which is like spending £50 today lol!
Worth it though as it had everything on it. Music videos, trailers, making-of, interviews...

It sucks now that most DVDs these days have no special features on them and if they do it's just a short 5 or 10 minute doco.

I'd assume it's because the HD film quality takes up most of the room on the disk.

Do Blu Rays have much good special features on them? I've never cared about them since I'm fine with the film quality on DVDs and I don't have a surround sound system to make use of the supposedly great sound mix.

I love looking at the bios on the old DVDs it feels so retro and so cool.

DVDs have less on them these days because the companies can make Blu-Ray for less and they can charge more to buy them.
You also need to buy a new TV, player, internet connection to play Blu-Ray as well.

It's all cash cash cash and stalwart DVD users like us are punished for not forking out £1500 yearly into the suits' pockets.

DVDs have less on them these days because the companies can make Blu-Ray for less and they can charge more to buy them.
You also need to buy a new TV, player, internet connection to play Blu-Ray as well.

It's all cash cash cash and stalwart DVD users like us are punished for not forking out £1500 yearly into the suits' pockets.

Why do you need an internet connection? That sounds stupid.

As for the first DVD I brought, it was a wrestling one.

Well Blu-Rays like to have updates and stuff which requires an internet connection.

So to switch from DVD to Blu-Ray means new player, new TV that supports the hi-def, discs that cost a third to manufacture but cost 5 times as much to buy, and an internet connection that's more expensive because you don't want to have some sort of cap reached because the player decided to eat your internet while you weren't looking.

And what does Blu-Ray offer?
Slightly richer colours.

I can do that by changing the contrast settings on the TV.