House of Sand and Fog

→ in
Tools    

humanness
noun
- the quality of being human

Set against the beautiful backdrop of "fog city", a powerful drama plays out, depicting the experiences, emotions, and actions that constitute the many facets of the universal human condition ... gain and loss, joy and grief, pride and shame, success and failure, loyalty and betrayal, prejudice and discrimination, connection and compassion, ruthlessness and vulnerability, despair and desperation, suffering and salvation ... sacrifice and suicide.

This movie embraces issues that society likes to pretend don't exist. It shows, with glaring clarity, the incredible frailty of human life and why, all said and done, the value of a human life cannot be appraised in terms of wealth. On a deeper level, it demonstrates the fleeting and impermanent nature of everything in the world of tangible physical form.

We are shown that one day's success can morph into failure the next. We are taught to appreciate what we have today, for tomorrow, it might leave an empty space in its wake. We are taught to look beyond the obvious, especially when it comes to judging another human being. We are motivated to ask - what is the point of this rat race, after all ? What am I really chasing after, and am I looking for it in the right place ?

Just as soon as you have begun to develop a hatred for the self-serving ruthlessness of a character you've begun to paint as the bad guy, he shocks you by revealing his compassion, and you are left wondering whether he's a hero or villain. Just as soon as you've categorized him, he reveals that he is only human and doesn't fit your neat little categories anymore. Then it hits you ... ultimately, there are no good guys or bad guys in the drama of life ... no winners or losers ... only sufferers of the human condition ... that which compels us to act out as puppets of our desires and fears. And, no one is immune ... we are all vulnerable. Every character in this movie ... yes, every single one ... earns your compassion ... your love ... your tears.

Given my own path through life, I have become somewhat of a spiritual seeker, and I contemplate life deeply, which is probably why this movie touched me so greatly.

If you are someone who likes to believe fantasies like "life is great" and "focus on the positive and everything will be ok", you will certainly not like this movie. However, if you're someone who is open to facing and accepting reality, this movie is a must watch.

10/10 ... they could not have done anything any better. The cast ... every human in it ... was believable and tailored to the role. The musical score punctuated the on-screen drama perfectly.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Lovely review. Going on my watch list. Thanks, escapist.

Lovely review. Going on my watch list. Thanks, escapist.
Thank you, Dani8 ! if you decide to watch it, I hope you like the movie and let me know what you think of it !

Will do. I love Ben. I cant remember the name of the movie but I loved the one where he was an alcoholic hitman and I thought I was going to find that very depressing but he was just so believable and sympathetic. I like Jennifer as wel;l.

This is one of the few films where I was completely absorbed by the story, I went to the cinema with a friend and when it ended we spent a long while walking in silence trying to digest what we had seen, which has never again happened to me on that degree. I found it hard to side with Jennifer Connelly's character and I still can't to an extent, but with successive rewatches I've come to understand her character and her decisions more. It is a beautiful yet moody film and I felt everyone was perfect in their roles. Connelly, Kingsley and Shohreh Aghdashloo (what a discovery!) especially.

Horner's score is impossible not to mention because it blends so well with the tone of the film, it almost becomes an unseen character.

I remember eagerly awaiting for the next Vadim Perelman film, but The Life Before Her Eyes was a disappointment.

a very nice film, atmospheric and i remember very good score aswell, i love ben in any film, he s such a great actor, decent film.

Will do. I love Ben. I cant remember the name of the movie but I loved the one where he was an alcoholic hitman
You Kill Me. He's also brilliant in Sexy Beast, which is a good movie if you haven't seen it.

You Kill Me. He's also brilliant in Sexy Beast, which is a good movie if you haven't seen it.
That's the one. And he was great in Sexy Beast. He is a sexy beast IMO.

Ben kingsley is a wonderful actor, wonder why this didn t win an oscar, best film of 2003 for sure