Better Call Saul...whatcha think?

Tools    

Good, cat. Keep watching Saul when you are available, it's getting better (at least in S2).

===

I've seen ep 303.

I can't stand hypocrites like Chuck, who thinks he is helping others by molding others into his square. Okay, he doesn't like Jimmy's philosophy, but there're many ways to help Jimmy other than pushing him into a corner.

To think of it, David & Mains are hugely responsible for that downfall too. Sure, they can punish Jim as much as they want, but on the other hand they could find a way to benefit from his resourcefulness. Like the way FBI employed Frank Abagnale and got the best out of his talent. Instead David & Mains shunned him totally and went for their pre-historic advertising.

Good, cat. Keep watching Saul when you are available, it's getting better (at least in S2).

===

I've seen ep 303.

I can't stand hypocrites like Chuck, who thinks he is helping others by molding others into his square. Okay, he doesn't like Jimmy's philosophy, but there're many ways to help Jimmy other than pushing him into a corner.

To think of it, David & Mains are hugely responsible for that downfall too. Sure, they can punish Jim as much as they want, but on the other hand they could find a way to benefit from his resourcefulness. Like the way FBI employed Frank Abagnale and got the best out of his talent. Instead David & Mains shunned him totally and went for their pre-historic advertising.
I think the direction they're headed in (for the end of the show) is for "Gene" to find a way to open up and be his Saul Goodman self more. Maybe not in name (or he'll be caught, of course) but rather in his actions. The cold open for Season 3 more than made it obvious that Jimmy is becoming increasingly unable to control his inner "Saul" and will never be happy until he can do so.

I don't believe he'll go back to being a lawyer but I don't think he even has to--being a lawyer was just a way for him to spread his wings and be his true self--he could potentially find a way to do that in his new life as "Gene".

Now, whether that means leaving his Cinabon job or working something on the side, I fully expect him to do SOMETHING. Jimmy has a vibrant, lively and charming personality. His "Saul Goodman" persona allowed him to be "free" in that sense. He needs at least SOME of that freedom back.

I feel that the series will end with Jimmy being reunited with Kim (her hometown is close to Omaha and maybe she's returned to it) and finding some way to revive his true persona in some sense--even if limited. I don't think Jimmy will have a sad ending--I think it will be a somewhat happy, if not bittersweet ending of him making amends with Kim and finding some way to be Saul-lite in his new life.

Gilligan viewed Walt as a villain (as do I) and he STILL let Walt have an ending mainly on his own terms. Gilligan and Gould LOVE Jimmy so I could easily see them giving Jimmy a little happiness.

Either way, "Gene" is about to blow like a frog on a hot plate. Public outbursts and panic attack fainting--he has to start branching out or he'll burst.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Recap of the latest episode.

How good was I on the charges *spins around. First time I've ever speculated and been correct. Villigan needs to hire me as a consultant...or barista.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/better-c...-recap-review/

Holy hell I totally missed this

I'm blanking on who that is, Dani... Refresh my memory.
Tyrus who was Gus' henchman who replaced Victor after box cutter. I'm loving all of these character returns.

Gus' next training vid: shipping

trying again

I'm blanking on who that is, Dani... Refresh my memory.

Tyrus didn't say much in the series but he was quite intimidating in his own right and hated Walt and Jesse--particularly Walt. I remember one comical scene where Tyrus smuggled Walt into the laundry in a cart of soiled sheets and Walt said: "Does the laundry HAVE to be dirty?" to which Tyrus answered: "Nope."

Tyrus was also in the room during that fateful moment that Hector rang his last bell, if you know what I mean.

Tyrus didn't say much in the series but he was quite intimidating in his own right and hated Walt and Jesse--particularly Walt. I remember one comical scene where Tyrus smuggled Walt into the laundry in a cart of soiled sheets and Walt said: "Does the laundry HAVE to be dirty?" to which Tyrus answered: "Nope."

Tyrus was also in the room during that fateful moment that Hector rang his last bell, if you know what I mean.
Tyrus and Victor were both quietly menacing. The best kind of menacing. Good to know they both worked for Gus at the same time. Do you think they ever had an actual conversation with each other?

Tyrus and Victor were both quietly menacing. The best kind of menacing. Good to know they both worked for Gus at the same time. Do you think they ever had an actual conversation with each other?
I don't see why not. By the time of Breaking Bad, Mike had a network running for Gus and kept it a well-oiled machine. Mike vetted everyone and did all the coordination, it seems. I'm sure they've spoken before. They all seem to trust and respect Mike, so I'm assuming that Mike is sort of Gus' proxy.

I don't see why not. By the time of Breaking Bad, Mike had a network running for Gus and kept it a well-oiled machine. Mike vetted everyone and did all the coordination, it seems. I'm sure they've spoken before. They all seem to trust and respect Mike, so I'm assuming that Mike is sort of Gus' proxy.
Joke fail. I was making a funny about how little they talk.

They don't talk much, but you can see what they're thinking most of the time. You can see the wheels taciturning in their head.
Hellz yes. It's why they're so creepy. Same with the twins.

The cinematography in this show is stunning. The amount of work that goes into a 3 second shot in the desert is mind blowing. It is possibly the best looking tv show I've ever seen. That said there are some ludicrous moments - the scene with Mike and his rifle in episode 3 this week was ridiculous. To be able to do what Mike did would surely take some doing.

The cinematography in this show is stunning. The amount of work that goes into a 3 second shot in the desert is mind blowing. It is possibly the best looking tv show I've ever seen. That said there are some ludicrous moments - the scene with Mike and his rifle in episode 3 this week was ridiculous. To be able to do what Mike did would surely take some doing.
Well, the thing to remember about Mike is that it was implied that he was a former soldier in the Vietnam War. He knows his rifles.

As for the timing of the shooting of the shoes...yeah, it was a stretch, for sure--this show is known for that. Even Jonathon Banks brought up how "convenient" Mike's luck is in various scenes. It's one of those little "cheats" they do in fiction--very MacGuyverish when you think about it.

If they were going for hyper realism then Breaking Bad would have lasted about two episodes as Walt could never go that long without being caught.

Well, the thing to remember about Mike is that it was implied that he was a former soldier in the Vietnam War. He knows his rifles.

As for the timing of the shooting of the shoes...yeah, it was a stretch, for sure--this show is known for that. Even Jonathon Banks brought up how "convenient" Mike's luck is in various scenes. It's one of those little "cheats" they do in fiction--very MacGuyverish when you think about it.

If they were going for hyper realism then Breaking Bad would have lasted about two episodes as Walt could never go that long without being caught.
All fair points. I just thought it was a stretch.

Legend in my own mind
Superb episode.

Really excellent.

I don't think the thing with Mike and the rifle were too far fetched.

He covered himself in case he needed more shots, but he got it first time.

The same as the shoes, you just knew it would take more than one attempt to get them there, as with him searching for the bug in a previous episode. They make things go wrong and take time, whilst making us watch the whole thing

Jimmy

Chuck

Mike He's the greatest

Gus

He would have had to not only hit the shoe with a bullet in the exact spot. But he also did this first time and at the exact point that the back end of a moving truck was travelling at the exact point below. Don't forget that if he does it too early - the narcotics pour over the windscreen and the drivers would realise, blowing Mike's cover. If he does it too late or misses, he's failed.

Added to the fact that the wind could have possibly blown the narcotics off course from it's journey from the telephone wire down to the ground. As we saw in the very last shot - when this was exactly what was happening and the narcotics were blowing all over the place.

I'm splitting hairs really, it's a great show, and you need these storylines to make it the captivating watch that it is - but this was just a bit too much.

Excellent. I love this show.