Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

Suzuki was fired in 1967 after directing Branded to Kill, because his films, according to the studio, "made no money and no sense". Now he's considered to be somewhat of a cult director.
I don't think Japan cared that much about their films being sexually or violently offensive during the 60s.
What is your avatar Cob?

REWATCH #3 - The Breakfast Club (1985) ~ April 16

Rewatched this classic with my dad and youngest sister tonight. I think my father was in a bit of a nostalgic mood.
I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time (a couple of years ago). A free-spirited movie full of good moments and with one sequence in particular that feels very honest when they all sit together and talk about life and their problems.

#57 - Bad Timing (1980) ~ April 22

This is an incredible film. It's a fragmented piece of freudian psychosexual filmmaking that sneaks up on the viewer step by step. The film retains an intensity throughout its two hour running time that is very rare and it's all due to the fantastic filmmaking. The images are provocative and captivatingly constructed, the editing is constantly surprising and refreshing and the emotions truly fume from the screen.
This was my first Nicolas Roeg experience and I can't wait to watch more of his work. I'll definitely revisit this one as well, as I'm pretty sure it will hold up beautifully during rewatches.

#58 - Life of Pi (2012) ~ April 25

I enjoyed the beautiful journey of this film, but I thought the framing of it all was done way too heavy-handedly and on the nose. I would've liked this more if the ideas that are communicated through the scenes in India and the scenes in the present (when our main character is already older) were transferred a bit more subtly and elegantly.
I also thought that the obvious message that this film tried to sell had a few problems with it, especially when you look at what's actually being implied if you put the earlier and the later scenes next to each other. The film basically says that you can make up your own truth and believe in it just because it makes you feel better and even clearly links this idea to the concept of religion. I feel that's a very problematic sentiment to convey, both from the perspective of the believer as from the perspective of the non-believer.
I personally would've focused the entire film on the journey (without the framing) and would've ended the film somewhere during (or just after) the conversation with the Japanese investigators. There would be much more room for thought for the viewer and the film wouldn't be as problematic as it is now.

#59 - The Terrorizers (1986) ~ April 25

This was my first Edward Yang film and I absolutely loved it. I've always been a big fan of films that are able to bring different stories together in a satisfying manner and I think Yang did a beautiful job here. The film slowly reveals itself before ultimately grabbing the viewer's throat in a wonderfully ambiguous and intense climax.
I can't wait to see more of Yang's work. This was a real treat!

#60 - Like Father, Like Son (2013) ~ April 28

Serene natural filmmaking. The narrative is pretty straightforward, but the moments Hirokazu Koreeda decides to show and focus on are not the ones that typical filmmakers would choose. He avoids the huge dramatic plot twists and tells us about the little moments inbetween that mean so much more.
Can't wait to see more of his work!

#62 - Annie (2014) ~ May 20

Accidentally kept watching this while it was on TV in the living room. I guess it's good to sometimes watch a really bad film in order to appreciate the good ones even more.

REWATCH #5 - The Shawshank Redemption (1994) ~ May 21

This was on TV and I remained glued. I've never been such a huge fan of the film as many others are, but I always thought of it as a very worthy piece of filmmaking. This rewatch especially confirmed that last part for me.

#63 - Supersonic (2016) ~ May 25

I always liked Oasis. This was an interesting documentary about the two characters that formed the core of the band and how they both dealt with the sudden fame, their past and their relationship with each other and other people. Loved this.

#64 - Let the Right One In (2008) ~ May 27

I watched this with my sister and her boyfriend just now. They were interested in seeing it and I thought I might as well join as it's such a well regarded film.
It ended up being a beautifully made vampire tale that has a peculiar atmosphere to it, but ultimately there wasn't really anything that will make me remember this in any profound kind of manner, except perhaps the great performances from the child actors.