Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Panic in Year Zero! (Milland, 1962)

How Milland didn't title this "Nuclear Family" is beyond me.

It's a silly, cheap little flick about society crumbling in the wake of a nuclear attack and the lengths to which one family will go to survive it. The father struggles with trying to retain his civility while protecting his family at all costs. The fragility of social convention isn't a new concept, but the story is interesting in the way that it incidentally examines era specific topics such as the mythos of the patriarchy and man's (often racially charged) burden to restore order amidst chaos. As much as the movie purposefully draws attention to the cognitive dissonance of the father in regards to his actions, it is completely oblivious to how ridiculous the male fantasy being portrayed is.

I hope that doesn't make it sound too worthwhile. You're probably better off watching The Twilight Zone.

Welcome to the human race...
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 -

If the original was A New Hope, then this is definitely Empire.

Teorema (1968)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Suicide Squad (2016)

Truly enjoyed this "anti-superhero" movie. Never read the comic (if there was one) but I didn't feel I missed any information. Mysterious bigwig (Viola Davis) recruits a squad of villains to patrol the city to take down something bad and rescue someone they aren't made privy to at first. Besides Davis, you've got Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Joel Kinnaman, Jay Hernandez, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Jai Courtney, Jared Leto and Cara Delevingne. The acting is good, the action is fine, and there's nary a dull moment. I liked the acting of Robbie, Kinnaman, Davis, and Delevinge the best. Wouldn't mind seeing it again.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 -

If the original was A New Hope, then this is definitely Empire.

Welcome to the human race...
For reference's sake, I currently have the original at
after three viewings, though I feel like if I'm willing to give this new one a
(which I think is currently my highest MCU rating) then I either have to bump some other ones up or knock this one down. It could go down, but it's worth remembering that my
is not the typical

Speaking of stuff that might deserve to get knocked down...

Tenebrae -

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
For reference's sake, I currently have the original at
after three viewings, though I feel like if I'm willing to give this new one a
(which I think is currently my highest MCU rating) then I either have to bump some other ones up or knock this one down. It could go down, but it's worth remembering that my
is not the typical

The Legend of Korra: Season 1 -

(Michael Dante DiMartino & Bryan Konietzko, 2012)

[NEW WATCH]

Since no one reads the Television Tab, I’m going to take a cue from cricket and posting about this here.

I haven’t watched a television season all the way through in years. The other day, I needed a bit of a pick me up in the form of escapism, so I went to Best Buy and found this. Since I loved Avatar: The Last Airbender, I decided to pick up the sequel series and give it a go.

I just finished the first season. I wasn't sure how well I'd get into it with the first episode, but after that I got more and more impressed and invested. I love the intense and constantly changing emotions I felt. I loved how my opinion about certain characters, notably Tarrlok and Amon, changed as the the series progressed. I love the depth given to all the characters, which would be surprising for a Nick show unless you have seen the first Avatar series.

But the thing I especially appreciate is DiMartino and Konietzko, the creators, really know how to rock a finale. Which, to me, is unusual. Endings are difficult, and I’ve noticed in stories I’m often more impressed by the beginning acts than the later ones. It’s just challenging to know how to wrap up a story in a way that feels meaningful. However, the final episode of the original Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of the best finales I've ever seen, and the finale to this first season of Korra is similarly intense, emotional and poetic. So these guys have a great talent in that regard.

My gripes?

Not many. I think the limitations that come with this being a Nickelodeon show (though a very different kind of Nickelodeon show) are present. For example, where most stories would kill off a disposable character, they can’t do that here. So Amon will just bloodbend that character and throw him to the side and out of the picture. I both love and hate that. It feels a bit unrealistic and certainly the villain would feel more sinister if he killed, but without it, when murder does happen you know it’s important, and feels more meaningful because the use is purposeful.

I think the original Avatar: The Last Airbender left such an impression of me that even though I barely remember it from watching it right out of high school, I still kind of missed that series while watching this one. But Aang and his original crew make appearances, and I do think the creators did a great job of making the story it’s own while tying it in with the original.

Overall, a terrific first season.

'Til Madness Do Us Part (2013) by Wang Bing

This 4 hour documentary shows us the daily life of psychiatric patients on the bottom of society in China. The detailed documentary features no voice over and we are voyeurs of lives in isolation at a mental asylum. A tough watch but highly recommended.

+

movies can be okay...
In The Shadow of Women (2015) -

Code Unknown (2000) -
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Films and films
Kong Skull island By Jordan Vogt-Roberts

6/10

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Not as funny as I thought it was going to be and I fell asleep towards the end and couldn't be arsed to rewind and watch it...

Badly marketed as a comedy. It's not; it's a war drama and I think they made a huge mistake doing that. I liked it but you did yourself a favour falling asleep for the end. I thought it let the movie down. Luckily for me all I knew about it was it was about a war correspondent in Afghanistan which is a country I'm really interested in. I didnt even know Tiny Fey was involved.

Now, Voyager (1942)

-

From the top 100 Passions list, this movie focuses on the major turnaround of a character played by Bette Davis. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed in the movie or my ability to get into it. I just had a hard time gaining and maintaining interest. I should probably watch it again at some point.