Television Tab

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Sorry Camo. The Americans season-to-season storyline does not lend itself to condensed greatness.

Each self-contained season of Fargo does not rely on the one before. I too, use to love the Americans, but then I fell behind and I will never catch back up.

Finally getting around to watching Legend of Korra. I loved Avatar: The Last Airbender back when I first watched it, right out of high school. On episode four of the sequel series, and it's proving to be pretty great.

Yeah, Christine and Monno watch The Americans please, i'm starting to go insane posting to myself in my thread

It's better than Fargo would be my slogan for it

DoubleDenim dunno where you stopped but it gets alot better from Season 3 and overall is better than Season 1 and the half of Season 2 of Fargo i watched IMO.

Anthology shows can be great and i think Fargo is but that's not any sort of argument for why it's better, American Horror Story doesn't rely on the Season before but that doesn't mean it's better than say Breaking Bad.

@Camo

Oh, I know how great it is. I mean come on, Skeletor is in it. I love the show, I'm just so far behind I don't see me having the time to get caught up.

If I was ever gonna get murderdd , I hope it's by Keri Russell in a bad wig and some tortoise shell frames.

@Camo

Oh, I know how great it is. I mean come on, Skeletor is in it. I love the show, I'm just so far behind I don't see me having the time to get caught up.

If I was ever gonna get murderdd , I hope it's by Keri Russell in a bad wig and some tortoise shell frames.
haha. Added a bit onto that post as you posted this by the way. I'm obviously not trying to be silly and say it's objectively better and i know you aren't either, i prefer it i'll leave it as.

Glad you liked it, too bad you don't think you'll follow up with the rest of it as it's ending next year. Where did you leave it?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
i'm starting to go insane posting to myself in my thread
LMAO. That's how I feel in my threads sometimes. I;m going to have to start tagging people so I dont feel like a thread serial killer.

LMAO. That's how I feel in my threads sometimes. I;m going to have to start tagging people so I dont feel like a thread serial killer.
haha. Yeah, i've pretty much written a book about the show to myself in the thread - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=47938

Yoda threw me a few pity reps, was hilarious . Unless he watches it in which case he should be posting in there haha.

Yoda threw me a few pity reps, was hilarious . Unless he watches it in which case he should be posting in there haha.

LOL. That lil dude is nice like that.

@Camo

I'm pretty sure S2. I think I started to watch S3 and life happened. That S2 finale is one of the greatest moments I've seen on t.v.

Well, I ended up a bit disappointed with Elementary season 3, which is a shame as I thought the first half was great. I loved the introduction of Kitty and she added a breath of fresh air to the whole dynamic (frankly I find her infinitely preferable to Joan, to be brutally honest). I was most disappointed when she was written out halfway through the season (even if her exit episode was superb, easily the best of the season) and everything just went back to the old status quo. Even worse was the complete lack of any comparable arc in the second half, which just seemed to flounder about with no direction, only to then end on a rather poor cliffhanger that didn't feel in any way earned to me.
Oh dear, I do hope it hasn't jumped the shark already. Bah humbug.

I dont watch Orange is the Neww Black but thought fans might be interested in this.

Why??? Ass hat hackers.

http://tvweb.com/netflix-hacked-oran...ason-5-leaked/

So, The Queen of Sheba, The Royle Family episode where nanna Norma dies, once again makes me shed a tear and laugh at the same time. What a writer Caroline Aherne was . I love this show, it's a wonderful observation of a certain life

History channel has a multi-part doc on comics / superheroes, Superheroes Decoded. Really good interweaving of the culture, history, and characters. Plus T.J. Miller agrees with me on why anybody cares about Spiderman .

Boardwalk Empire

Was going to post this in the Boardwalk Empire thread but thought it would be better posting it here so the fans are more likely to see it.

Watched a bunch more and i'm enjoying it quite a bit more than i did the first time, still don't think it will become one of my favourites unless it changes for a few reason. Firstly is actually one of the reasons it's most praised: its setting. Don't get me wrong the 20's prohibition scene is like a dream setting for me as as i said i've always had an interest in the US Mafia, it looks gorgeous and exactly how i'd imagine it, couldn't ask for anything more there. It's more how it handles being a period drama, there's not alot of depth, commentary, etc on the 1920's at least compared to say Mad Men with the 1960's or The Americans with the 1980's. It just kind of presents something really obvious to you and shows it the way you'd think it is going to play out, it doesn't even really go that far into how the people felt about whatever event, the KKK, Black Vote, Hardings Mistress and Women getting the vote and they really haven't done anything interesting with them. It's frustrating as the show is ran and written by alot of very talented guys and i think this is easier than say what The Sopranos and to a lesser extent The Wire (by lesser extent i mean it wasn't really a major focus/goal of The Wire) tried to do in shaping their show as a slice of what life was like in the time they were making it. The further i get from the 2000's that it starts to feel like a distinct time i'm amazed at how much The Sopranos made it feel like the 2000's, can't really explain what i mean well and i know it seems logical that's how it would feel but i've not came across any show that was like that to that extent. It seems easier taking an intriguing look at 1920's life and the events that unfolded in it as we have travelled so far from then that we've been able to study and come to understand how that decade played out. I know you could say it's just not a goal of the show but then i think that's wasted potential personally as it just comes across as a straightforward history presentation when it could be alot more.

Another problem is that i'm not really feeling the major conflicts. I'm a few episodes into Season 2 and the Nucky-Rothstein conflict in Season 2 felt pretty weak, to be fair i don't think it was a problem of the show. As i said i know quite a bit about this time and the characters involved, this conflict is fictional of course but i know while watching that Rothstein didn't die until the end of the decade, Luciano til the 60's, Lansky in the 80's, etc so the stakes never feel that high and i also felt the ending was a little rushed and underwhelming. The major Jimmy/His Dad/Eli Season 2 conflict has alot more potential as this is entirely fictional and could be used well mixed in with real life events, but again i thought it was rushed and not that interesting how it started; they just kind of threw problems with Jimmy and Eli in and Jimmy's Dad kind of came out of nowhere.

This will all make it seem that i'm not liking this but i actually am alot more than i did the first time i watched Season 1. A problem with it then was that some of the portrayals of real people that i have read quite a bit about weren't right to me. I've got over that though and i'm enjoying them as semi-fictional representations. And the shows strength lies in its interesting characters. Luciano and Lansky are both really great, don't think they fit into how they were usually described but again i don't really care they are probably more interesting this way. Love Capone too, still can't believe that's the scouser dude from This Is England, his accent isn't world-class or anything but a scouser not sounding like a scouser is amazing to me. Only really got a problem with two characters. First off: Margaret, i like Kelly MacDonald, i like her character and i think she is doing a great job. But she does this face in so many situations, when she is confused, sad, offended, etc, it's always the exact same and it kind of takes me out of it, it's not that big of a deal but it annoys me more as it goes on and i think it will reach the point that i won't like the character which is a shame as i think she has one of the most interesting arcs so far. The other is Nucky, i love Steve Buscemi; dude is one of the few actors who never seems different in any role and yet i don't care i just really like him. Again he's doing a good job and i like the character, problem is he's kind of too nice to completely accept in some of these roles. In certain ways the casting is perfect as he is a politician who needs to come across likeable alot and Buscemi has always done irritated well which is part of Nucky's personality, and he's also supposed to be someone who hasn't quite accepted his role as the bad guy, which works with how likeable in general Buscemi is. Problem is he is so likeable that he doesn't pull ruthless off that well which is supposed to be a part of Nucky, stuff like him burning down the house and choking Micky Doyle just doesn't feel right coming from Buscemi. Hope i can come around on this though as it goes on.

Managed to get through all four episodes of this series from Australia last night. Enjoyed it and got a surprise when Lorna Morello turned up, didn't recognise her on the poster and forgot the actress is actually Australian! it clicked finally...

I havent heard of that. Will check it out.

Let the night air cool you off
@Camo

Interesting stuff about Boardwalk Empire. I know your intention wasn't to dump on BE, but I'll probably be pushing it back in the queue based on that, if only because it seems better stuff is available to me. I want to watch a bunch of the big HBO shows right now after finishing The Sopranos recently. It's a very complex show in the way it deals with human relationships and building characters and a world. I was leaning towards watching Boardwalk Empire for the first time after I rewatched/finished The Wire. I was hoping it would be The Sopranos but in the 20's. I wasn't expecting the great surrealist portions of The Sopranos to be there, which are some of my favorite moments, but I was hoping to hear of great character relationships inside of a well-built world. It doesn't sound that way though, especially with the limiting factors of using real life people who you know have to survive certain circumstances.

Do you recommend I still watch BE after The Wire, or would my time be better spent on another HBO show instead? I was thinking I might have a buffer in between the longer ran shows, like maybe The Young Pope or something.

How many HBO series have you finished?