The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Skyblivion is a thing, and I'm looking forward to it just as much as I am to Skywind.

Oblivion was the game which kick-started my modern love of games.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Most confusing Steam email ever...

---

And it's true!

there's a frog in my snake oil
Hah

I just can't wait for 'Everything is now on Sale!'

So a better NES Classic is coming out. Does anyone honestly think Nintendo will actually produce enough of these this time around? This is the same company that is notorious for not supplying enough of any of their things as we know. After all, this current Classic had supply issues from start to its finish this month which is pretty ridiculous for any company and their products.

The more I read about it, the more I can't wait for Hellblade to come out.

Hellblade is one of the games that made me wary of going XB1 over PS4. Though, being a Ninja Theory game my roommate will probably pick it up day one, so I might get the chance to play it at a later date. Maybe we can temporarily trade systems so he can play Rare Replay and Sunset Overdrive.

Speaking of Ninja Theory, that reminds me that I never finished Enslaved after.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
You get your ass home right now and finish Enslaved! I spent a good bit having a Gamestop employee gush over it and how he's based on Goku and a bunch of stuff I have forgot. I loved it. And the flashback maskface collectibles.

Hellblade is D1 for me.

So a better NES Classic is coming out. Does anyone honestly think Nintendo will actually produce enough of these this time around? This is the same company that is notorious for not supplying enough of any of their things as we know. After all, this current Classic had supply issues from start to its finish this month which is pretty ridiculous for any company and their products.
There will be a Netflix documentary in 5 years explaining why.

I spent a good bit having a Gamestop employ gush over it and how he's based on Goku and a bunch of stuff I have forgot.
Is Goku another name for Sun Wukong? Enslaved is a re-imagining of Journey to the West, a great piece of Chinese literature...that I am only familiar with in the first place due to video games haha.

I think Goku from Dragon Ball was also based on Sun Wukong (the monkey tail kind of gives it away), so I imagine Goku might be one of the Japanese names for him or something. I guess I could look it up, but it doesn't really matter that much haha.

It's foggy, but I think that was sorta the conclusion. Enslaved was one of the few games I had never heard and fell in love with when I played it.

Unlike p5, which I fell in love with until I started doing the battles and...

Wife and I finished Botanicula. We've been meaning to play it so long that Amanita Design has since released Samorost 3, which we'd already played and finished. And it was better than Bontanicula, which was fine and lovely in all the ways you expect an Amanita game to be, but the puzzles were of a generally lesser quality than most of their other stuff. Still worthwhile, but yeah, no Samorost 3, and maybe not even Samorost 2. And still a long way from their peak, Machinarium (though S3 was close-ish at times).

ANYWAY...after finishing up we went through all the games we've got piled up to decide which ones we might want to try next. And (heads-up, @Tacitus), we think it'll be Contradiction next. We fired it up and watched the intro, but didn't actually play at all, but it looks awfully promising already. I read a review that said there was an issue with having to re-visit places you've already been, without warning that anything had changed, and that along originally turned me off, but your recommendation made me reconsider. Will definitely have updates as we go, though I'm guessing/hoping it's the kind of thing we'll want to finish in a few hours total/couple of sittings. Usually better that way, with mysteries.

Listened to a podcast with one of the Oddworld devs. He had some strong feeling about the Switch and talked about stuff I never thought of.

- Cartridge based was not a "better load times" deal, but manufacturing based. Part of this was based on piracy, but indirectly limits 3rd parties.

- Nintendo has strict day and date requirements before a game can even be announced. No chance of any game for the other 2 systems and soon to exponentially stronger Serpico, "altered" to fit the Switch because of all the moving parts and enormous labor cost.

Basically, what I got. Nintendo is still operating like it's 1987 and unlike MS and P who "have fully opened the kimono" and allows everyone the same opportunity to a certain extent. i.e. If you make a great game with no advertising sooner or later it will float to the top.

I realize that Nintendo basically revolves around their i.p.s to begin with, but it induces a nostalgia based sadness in me, that Nintendo may never change.

ANYWAY...after finishing up we went through all the games we've got piled up to decide which ones we might want to try next. And (heads-up, @Tacitus), we think it'll be Contradiction next. We fired it up and watched the intro, but didn't actually play at all, but it looks awfully promising already. I read a review that said there was an issue with having to re-visit places you've already been, without warning that anything had changed, and that along originally turned me off, but your recommendation made me reconsider. Will definitely have updates as we go, though I'm guessing/hoping it's the kind of thing we'll want to finish in a few hours total/couple of sittings. Usually better that way, with mysteries.
I chat with a couple of the Contradiction actors pretty regularly online and they're great people. The game itself is just a fantastic love letter to 90s FMV games without any of the need to appear overly retro.

A system of cells interlinked
And, so it ends...

Finally finished off the main game in The Witcher 3. Man, what a game. Most certainly in my Top 5 GOAT. I was whisked away into the game world, the story, and the characters in a way that few games have managed. The amount of content was staggering. Not of it felt tacked on, and some of the side quests were just as memorable and gripping as the main story. Some highlights include:

WARNING: "The Witcher 3" spoilers below
The Novigrad Serial Killer - When Priscilla got acid thrown in her face, I was stunned. I was busy helping Dandelion prepare for a stage show with Priscilla, and for her to get attacked on the way to the theater in such a brutal manner, it was definitely a surprise, and very affecting. I immediately dropped everything and went out to solve the crime and catch the killer.

Djinn Hunting with Yennefer - Geralt and Yen's relationship and interactions had always been tense and conflicted, and this story line revealed why. When Yen finally reveals why she has been obsessed with capturing a Djinn, and that her and Geralt's relationship might be forced into existence magically, they both approach the realization in an emotionally complex manner. How will they feel after the spell has been broken? Are their feelings genuine or an illusion. The quiet moment they share on the snowy peak at the end of the quest was touching and beautiful. So well done!

The High Stakes Gwent Tournament - I loved Gwent, being an old card gamer myself, so I was happy to adventure around, collecting cards and defeating opponents. The high stakes tournament was great fun, and the addition of a theft and murder to solve, along with a dusky-hued lady satan, made this pretty engaging. I had a lot of fun with this one.

Tower full of Mice - Early in the game, there are several cool sections involving Keira. After several fun little diversions and a star lit picnic with a tasty dessert , She sends you on a quest to a haunted tower. This eerie quest was really well done with great atmosphere and some cool lore as the back story. Doing side quests like this really helped to bring the world to life.

The Haunted Lighthouse on the Misty Island - I forgot the actual name of this one, but it was another spooky one. The boat trip out to the island was fun, and again, they nailed the atmosphere here.

Forefather's Eve on Fyke Isle - You eventually head back to the island with the Tower Full of Mice, this time to help The Pellar execute a ritual. The tension here ramped up nicely, and the battles were fairly challenging at the stage of the game I did this. More cool lore here, as well...

Lastly, I have heard there are many endings, and some are better than others. I was very happy with the one I got, and the short quest with Ciri afterward in White Orchard was touching and very well done. The montage of memories and decisions brought me back to some of my favorite Ciri moments, and where she ended up made sense with the decisions i had made. great ending!

And, so it ends...

Finally finished off the main game in The Witcher 3. Man, what a game. Most certainly in my Top 5 GOAT. I was whisked away into the game world, the story, and the characters in a way that few games have managed. The amount of content was staggering. Not of it felt tacked on, and some of the side quests were just as memorable and gripping as the main story. Some highlights include:
Glad you enjoyed it. Now do the expansions!

I'm a couple of hours off finishing the main story in my second run through on PS4. Bought the season pass in the last sale, too, so it'll probably get done again at some point too.

And, so it ends...

WARNING: "The Witcher 3" spoilers below
The Novigrad Serial Killer - When Priscilla got acid thrown in her face, I was stunned. I was busy helping Dandelion prepare for a stage show with Priscilla, and for her to get attacked on the way to the theater in such a brutal manner, it was definitely a surprise, and very affecting. I immediately dropped everything and went out to solve the crime and catch the killer.

Djinn Hunting with Yennefer - Geralt and Yen's relationship and interactions had always been tense and conflicted, and this story line revealed why. When Yen finally reveals why she has been obsessed with capturing a Djinn, and that her and Geralt's relationship might be forced into existence magically, they both approach the realization in an emotionally complex manner. How will they feel after the spell has been broken? Are their feelings genuine or an illusion. The quiet moment they share on the snowy peak at the end of the quest was touching and beautiful. So well done!

The High Stakes Gwent Tournament - I loved Gwent, being an old card gamer myself, so I was happy to adventure around, collecting cards and defeating opponents. The high stakes tournament was great fun, and the addition of a theft and murder to solve, along with a dusky-hued lady satan, made this pretty engaging. I had a lot of fun with this one.

Tower full of Mice - Early in the game, there are several cool sections involving Keira. After several fun little diversions and a star lit picnic with a tasty dessert , She sends you on a quest to a haunted tower. This eerie quest was really well done with great atmosphere and some cool lore as the back story. Doing side quests like this really helped to bring the world to life.

The Haunted Lighthouse on the Misty Island - I forgot the actual name of this one, but it was another spooky one. The boat trip out to the island was fun, and again, they nailed the atmosphere here.

Forefather's Eve on Fyke Isle - You eventually head back to the island with the Tower Full of Mice, this time to help The Pellar execute a ritual. The tension here ramped up nicely, and the battles were fairly challenging at the stage of the game I did this. More cool lore here, as well...

Lastly, I have heard there are many endings, and some are better than others. I was very happy with the one I got, and the short quest with Ciri afterward in White Orchard was touching and very well done. The montage of memories and decisions brought me back to some of my favorite Ciri moments, and where she ended up made sense with the decisions i had made. great ending!
All great moments.
WARNING: spoilers below
One for me was "Ladies of the Wood". One of those times where I was seriously conflicted. Not only that, but I really dug the design they went for the Witches, along with their theme. It all came together perfectly for a chilling quest.