John's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

this one idiot said was saying the day after tomorrow was horrible and he wanted more depth and great acting. maybe he didnt realize he was paying 8.50 to go see a movie about the surreal effects of global warming or maybe hes just retarded.

Good Review

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by jrs
What prequel? Pitch Black came out first with the character of Riddick. Then now The Chronicles of Riddick which takes place 5 years after that is a sequel.

David Thowy's The Chronicles of Riddick is (from what I heard) supposed to be part of a trilogy. Though I am not quite sure if Pitch Black is part of it, or not.
The Chronicles of Riddick is the sequel to Pitch Black. So I guess that makes Pitch Black the prequel.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I'll be gone this week. I'm going to miss ya guys. It's this thing for Boy Scouts called "Fox Fire." Oh Boy!!! No TV, Computer, Video Games, and good food for a week. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I'm BACK!!!!! YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy and tired. I'll get a review for Van Helsing out some time Thrusday, hopefully. I had to cook, clean, build fires, wear my uniform, and get a little bit of sleep all week. Oh boy!! I'm glad to be back, but guess what? I have to go to regular camp June 27-July 2. Hooray!!!

Poster

“The untold true story that inspired the legend.”

Movie: King Arthur

Rating: Rated pg13

Director: Antoine Fuqua

Release Date: July 7, 2004

Cast: Clive Owen, Ioan Gruffudd, Mads Mikkelsen, Joel Edgerton, Hugh Dancy, Ray Winstone, Keira Knightley, and Stephen Dillane

King Arthur gives a different look on the legend of Arthur, Guinevere, the Knights of the Round Table, and Merlin. Unlike the other versions, this story gives light to how they might actually have been.

Guinevere (Keira Knightley) is no longer a damsel in distress but, a fierce some warrior for her people, the Woads, and instead of Merlin (Stephen Dillane) being Arthur’s guide, he is his enemy. Another change to the legend is Lancelot’s (Ioan Gruffudd) character; he is no longer a man fighting for what is right, but for Arthur’s desires and his own desire for his warrior days to end.

Round Table
In the opening scenes, it shows Lancelot’s journey to becoming a knight not one of self choosing, but that of destiny. It’s a destiny that’s forced upon him by the Roman Army. For the next 15 years he fights along side Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. He, like Arthur, wants peace and freedom, but in order for that to happen they must risk their lives to save a Roman family from the invading Saxons.

This story behind Arthur is very well written and believable; it’s not one of magic, romance, and the other elements we’ve heard of over the centuries but, one of brotherhood, fate, destiny, and courage. This version is more believable then the other ones we’ve heard over the years. It also fits into the era better because the Romans were in rule of Europe and war was constant.

Guinevere
I believe that King Arthur is the best adaptation of the story of the Knights of the Round Table because it’s possible for it to have happened. I will most certainly take this version as the most likely tale of Arthur to be true. It’s one of the most plausible versions we’ll hear in a while.

King Arthur is a good way to spend your money because you’re getting your moneys worth with, good acting, some well placed, and plentifully, action scenes, and a good story. This is a great film that tells a version of Arthur that stands out among the others and should be seen. True or untrue, King Arthur is just an enjoyable film.

hey t hanks for the reviews guys..i know what it's about...i've read the novel based o n the screenplay a nd i can't wait til saturday....i'm glad you both enjoyed it...

Originally Posted by susan
hey t hanks for the reviews guys..i know what it's about...i've read the novel based o n the screenplay a nd i can't wait til saturday....i'm glad you both enjoyed it...
You'll like it.

Thanks for the review John, I will go and see this when it comes to Australia.

Great review John… thanks... I’m going to check Arthur out as soon as I can…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

MovieForums Extra
Nice review John....I'm supposed to go this weekend.........can't wait!

A system of cells interlinked
You are getting better Johnny

Great Review John!! I gotta go see it this friday...Or when ever im free

Good review again, I usually agree with you on movies. I'm gonna see King Arthur Saturday.

Poster

“Every son holds the future for his father.”

Movie: Road to Perdition

Rating: Rated r

Director: Sam Mendes

Release Date: July 12, 2002

Cast: Tyler Hoechlin, Tom Hanks, Paul Newman, Daniel Craig, and Jude Law

Road to Perdition tells the story of a hit man’s road to revenge after a fatal betrayal.

Mike Sullivan (Tom Hanks) works as a hit man for John Rooney (Paul Newman) and he’s also a family man. His sons Peter (Liam Aiken) and Michael (Tyler Hoechlin) always wonder what their father does for a living. One night Michael witnesses his father’s line of work and is swore in to secrecy with his father and his employer. Bonds of loyalty are then put to the test when Conner Rooney (Daniel Craig), John Rooney’s son, murders Sullivan’s wife and youngest child Peter. Sullivan is then forced to leave his house in order to protect his oldest son, Michael.

This movie has several things that catch the eye but, the
Chicago
musical score by Thomas Newman caught my ear and then hooked me. It tops the movie off like a cherry tops a hot, fudge sundae. It’s revised several times though the movie, but it doesn’t get old.

The acting is a fair change from some of the other movies I saw before this one. Tyler Hoechlin does exceptionally well, Paul Newman’s performance is great, and Tom Hanks does a great job of portraying the hard shelled father, Mike. Jude Law’s part as hit man hired to kill Mike Sullivan is very well done but, at times, it’s unnecessary.

This is a movie that will catch not only your eyes, but your ears too. Its music is so riveting it’ll hook from the first time you hear it. It’s just one of those tunes that catches you and keeps in the movie. In my opinion it’s just worth renting to hear the music.

The acting isn't riveting but, it’s another good reason to go out and pick this movie up. It’s just wonderful to watch as you become part of the characters lives. It’ll have you wanting more of the man named Mike Sullivan when you finish watching; I know I did.

A Heavy Rain
If you believe this to be a mob film where it’s all just “shoot-em up bang bang”; you’ll be disappointed. There are scenes with guns in them but, this film isn’t just guns and violence. It’s more like an emotional drama, but it’s not entirely that. To best describe this film it’s an emotional connection between father and son.

This film is a great movie to watch, when you just want to break away from your life and be drawn into Sullivan’s life. Whether you like the music, the acting, or the emotional connection of father and son; you’re sure to find something that you like in this movie. For me it was that connection of father and son and I truly do believe the tag line: “Every son holds the future for his father.”

Well, I finally did it. I wrote another review. Anyways, I was re-reading my reviews last night and I was amazed at how good some were and how crappy others were. When I read my King Arthur and The Chronicles of Riddick review I thought "Holy *****!! I didn't write that. That's really good. " Then I read my review on The Punisher and The Whole Ten Yards and thought "What a piece of ***** And I gave it that many stars. "

Anyways, thanks for sticking with me though the good, the bad, and the really, really bad. You'll are like a family to me and I feel that I can express anything with you and not feel embarrassed or ashamed. I feel that I can talk to you about stuff that I wouldn't even talk about with my dad. And we're close. I'm just making this post to tell you all how appreciated I am to be here in this close knitted family of MoFos.