Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
'71 (2014)
+

Regardless of your leanings within this conflict, the movie delivers superb tension throughout. I was impressed with the film.

Tokyo Godfathers

And 4 for 4! While this movie is the least like Satoshi Kon's other works, it is by no means bad. It is not a mind bending story where reality is blurred and there is no surreal imagery. However Kon blends three excellent characters into a very charming story of redemption. Three homeless people unite to overcome their own personal demons and troubled pasts to save the future of an abandoned infant. It is beyond heartwarming.

Thus sadly concludes my exploration into Satoshi Kon's movie filmography. Sadly Kon died of cancer. The only thing left to see that he directed is the TV show Paranoia Agent. And that series has not been released as full and complete series on DVD or Blu Ray. Only in 4 hard to find DVD Volumes. But one way or another I will see this show.

Final rating for Tokyo Godfathers

Ranking of Satoshi Kon's films in order of most favorite to least favorite. Then again with Kon his weakest film is leaps and bounds above the best of certain directors.

Perfect Blue

Paprika

Tokyo Godfathers

Millennium Actress

Welcome to the human race...
Success of Fast 8 says a lot about humanity... I'm ****ed!
What exactly does it say about humanity?

The Karate Kid

I don't even know how many times i saw it and it still has its magic

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Hercules (1997)

Did not like this at all. Bad songs, cheap looking artwork, bland main character, every single supporting character talks like a cynical 90s comedian, lame topical jokes, bizarre Americanisation of Greek myths that go beyond the usual Disney sanitisation to something just strange. Not that I expected them to show Hercules murder his entire family, but there's something a bit wrong about having the fates singing about the 'gospel truth'. Hades is a rehash of every Disney villain ever (at times there are shadows which make him look like Ursula from The Little Mermaid), although the underworld itself is well designed. The best bit was Scar's cameo as a pelt.

The Fate of the Furious 9/10
The Boss baby 6/10

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Going In Style (2017)

A comedy that doesn't know it's a comedy. While Caine, Freeman, and Arkin share wonderful chemistry that feels like a real friendship, the film itself doesn't really try to make that many jokes. The film just kind of plays without really trying to make you laugh and was kind of boring. But when they do try to make you laugh, it does usually work, so this movie is just a resounding meh.

Legend in my own mind

The quiet earth (1985)

The films starts with a man called Zac Hobson waking up to find the place eerily quiet and things become more and more strange as there seems to be no people anywhere.
The film follows Zac as he searches for answers, whilst facing challenges to his own mental well-being, from his forced solitude and the lack of answers.

Summary
The film started well, and I was intrigued. It set the scene really well, and I was convinced by the world that was created on the screen.
After a strong start, I felt that it faded away as the film went on. I felt that it lacked direction and almost descended into obscurity as I watched on.
It didn't really answer the questions that I wanted it to in a comprehensive enough way.
Ultimately I think that it was a great idea for a film that largely failed to deliver after showing early promise.

More words on my thread and in the 13th HoF thread

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Karate Kid

I don't even know how many times i saw it and it still has its magic

I should see this again. I'm sure if I sat down, I could remember scene by scene in my head (already am). John Avildsen made "Rocky" and "The Karate Kid" - very optimistic movies, and I haven't seen many since that had a genuine feeling, the relationship between Daniel-san and Mr. Miyagi, as well as Rocky and Mickey.

Legend in my own mind

Carlito's way (1993)

I have been intending to watch this film for some time. It seemed like the sort of film that I would like and had a couple of strong actors headlining in Pacino and Penn.

I quite enjoyed the film but it didn't grip me in the way that I hoped it would or that other similarly themed and styled films have.

It was stylish and slick and Pacino carried it well as you would expect and utterly convinced in his role.

There were some excellent scenes in it, with my favourite being where Carlito (Pacino) addresses Benny Blanco (John Leguizamo) whilst eating his dinner.

Another superb scene is the 'pool hall' scene, which was great fun, and yet more realistic looking than many similar scenes in other films.

As you would expect, there is a love interest, friendship, double crossing, Feds, offers of deals, betrayal, revenge etc woven into the story, as well as a lot of trash talk and violence.

This is undoubtedly better than most 'mob' or 'gangster' films, but for me it just doesn't reach the top table of the genre.

The Fate of the Furious 7/10. Love the action, but the plot seems to be redundant.

The Fallen Idol - 1948

The Fallen Idol’s unique story, combined with Reed and Greene’s complete control of their crafts are the perfect recipe for a classic. Quick-note; Phillipe’s last interaction with the investigator was both hilarious and frustrating, but I won’t ruin it for does who haven’t seen it. I’m a twenty-eight-year-old “man” and this movie transported me back twenty years as I completely identified with Phillipe. The Fallen Idol’s score is why I love movies.

Full review over at my site!

"London Has Fallen" 7/10

I was shock reading all the negative reviews on IMDb. The movie is better than expected.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Director: Andre Ovredal
Starring: Emile Hirsch, Brian Cox.

This is a movie about an unidentified woman’s corpse is found half-buried in the basement of a house where some homicide has occurred. The body was brought to a coroner (played by Brian Cox) and his son (played by Emile Hirsch), who also assists his father, for autopsy and during the autopsy, some bizarre things start to happen.

I am a huge horror movie fan. Not only Hollywood but also of some foreign language horrors. The Hollywood horror movies made these days are really cheesy, clichéd and it feels like they are almost out of ideas about how to make a cool, different and genuinely creepy horror movie, not just some false jump scares. (There are exceptions though, like : The Witch).

So I did not have much expectations from the movie. The director has not done many movies. I watched Trollhunter, that was a long time ago. But this movie did surprise me. There are some really creepy stuffs going on in this movie.

The best thing in this movie for me is the plot concept. I haven’t seen anything like that before. This is not where there is a family, and the kid sees the ghost. This movie has a father and a grown-up son both working in a morgue. Hundreds of dead bodies are there, some are badly disfigured. They watch lot of crazy stuffs every day. So this movie has to do something other than disfigured body and my god they did it so well. Throughout the movie, the tone was consistent except for one or two scenes, where they used rock music in the background which I don’t think was the best choice.

Let’s talk about the characters. The father son chemistry was strong. Brian Cox’s character was very cool. There is a scene where Emile’s character thinks his father won’t allow something but I liked how surprisingly he was wrong.
For me the disposable character was the girlfriend’s character. She just showed up once in the beginning, and then at the middle of the third act. I didn’t care about her or about their relationship. In the third act, something happens to her and I was like, “Yeah I saw that coming.”

That leads to my biggest disappointment with the movie, which is when the supernatural things start to happen it took the same hollywood clichés I was talking about earlier. There are false jump scares. There are lights going off. There are doors automatically shutting down. So by the end of the second act the movie becomes like the average horror movies.
Also, in the third act, one character by mistake does something horrible, but within a few seconds, he kind of gets over it completely. That felt weird. The ending was also what we see in almost every horror movies.

This movie started great, great concept of plot, tone was good and consistent for most of the part. But from the middle of the second act it loses its uniqueness. If you are not fade up with Hollywood horror clichés as much as I am, you will definitely enjoy this movie. I am going to give it a B.

The quiet earth (1985)

The films starts with a man called Zac Hobson waking up to find the place eerily quiet and things become more and more strange as there seems to be no people anywhere.
The film follows Zac as he searches for answers, whilst facing challenges to his own mental well-being, from his forced solitude and the lack of answers.

Summary
The film started well, and I was intrigued. It set the scene really well, and I was convinced by the world that was created on the screen.
After a strong start, I felt that it faded away as the film went on. I felt that it lacked direction and almost descended into obscurity as I watched on.
It didn't really answer the questions that I wanted it to in a comprehensive enough way.
Ultimately I think that it was a great idea for a film that largely failed to deliver after showing early promise.

More words on my thread and in the 13th HoF thread

I felt the same way. It's a good concept that didn't fully live up to its potential. It's a shame, because it really could've been great. I remember thinking the characters and dialogue were the biggest culprits in the movie losing its appeal.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
@Saikat
Well I'll be. I had no idea the director of Autopsy of Jane Doe also directed Trollhunter.