Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

David O. Russell is overrated in general.
Yup. Let's see...so far he's aped Wes Anderson, Michael Mann, and then Scorsese. I haven't checked out his other imposters yet, but I did hear that Silver Linings Playbook was decent.

WHAAAAAT? What is so bad about Forrest Gump?

An old feud was resurrected today on a forum that me and my high school friends post on.
When Bubba Ho Tep (2002) came out, I was the only one in the group of my high school friends not to get on my knees and suck this movie off. For a while, even after high school and into college, I was treated like a cinematic leper when the movie came up.

Well....it came up again today. And I'm about to spend the weekend in Biloxi with these clowns.

Anyone else think this movie is really just not all that great?

An old feud was resurrected today on a forum that me and my high school friends post on.
When Bubba Ho Tep (2002) came out, I was the only one in the group of my high school friends not to get on my knees and suck this movie off. For a while, even after high school and into college, I was treated like a cinematic leper when the movie came up.

Well....it came up again today. And I'm about to spend the weekend in Biloxi with these clowns.

Anyone else think this movie is really just not all that great?
I think the premise is terrific. It's a slow movie with not much of an ending, but I still enjoy it for a pleasant atmospheric time passer and appreciate that DC and BC worked together. It woks very well as a home video item. The commentaries are awesome. With that said, it's not the 2nd coming of Christ. One thing I will say is that my first time watching it I thought it was mediocre at best. Then into my 30's I watched it a couple more times, liking better upon each viewing.

The Hangover, Horrible Bosses, Forrest Gump, Interstellar, Inglorious Bastards, The Hurt Locker and nearly any movie by David O. Russell mainly.

Mr Deeds goes to Town (1936)
Stagecoach (1939)
How Green was my Vally (1941)
Arsenic and Old Lace(1944)
The Quiet Man (1952)
Tokyo Story (1953)
Vertigo (1958)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
Close Encounters of the Third kind (1977)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Good Will Hunting (1997)
Milk (2008)
The Kings Speech (2010)
La La Land (2016) and Moonlight (2016)

Based on the truth.. and lies.

Fargo they should have made the wood chipper part like half the whole movie thats the only part i liked, but thats me. Thrillers kind of a stretch daownt cha thank?

I Enjoy Working With People

Fargo they should have made the wood chipper part like half the whole movie thats the only part i liked, but thats me. Thrillers kind of a stretch daownt cha thank?

Because you asked: no, I don't agree with you. I think it's a great and riveting movie. It qualifies as a thriller, in my opinion.

I disclose that I'm from Minnesota. I don't think that biases me in favor of liking this movie overall, but I concede that it does help me understand many of the jokes about the scenery and settings of the various scenes, and the behavioral details in the characters. I tend to like the Coen brothers' sense of humor and interest in the small peculiarities of human behavior, but I realize their movies are not to everyone's taste.

Legend in my own mind
Still the worst thread on MoFo.
Agreed. Just a load of posts that scream "look at me"

I Enjoy Working With People
Agreed. Just a load of posts that scream "look at me"

I don't think that is a fair generalization, just like it isn't a fair generalization to claim that the "worst thread" posts are just posts that scream "Look at me."

Legend in my own mind
I don't think that is a fair generalization, just like it isn't a fair generalization to claim that the "worst thread" posts are just posts that scream "Look at me."
And you are entitled to your opinion.

The topic is totally subjective and what one person finds 'over rated' will be a film that someone rates really highly.

Welcome to the human race...
Scroll up the page, click on the magnifying glass icon in the top left corner (just under the button marked "Movies"), type in "overrated", and check any of the other threads on this subject to find out.

Eraserhead is the sh*t, by the way.

Haha! So funny. Seems like every one new to a forum has to talk smack about Lynch or Kubrick. What...is going on? Silly, I tell ya! Anyone know any good jokes? Wellll I didn't THINK so!