Split alternate ending deemed too dark

Tools    

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/34...ven-shyamalan/

Meant to type original, not alternate. This was the original ending.

I'll admit, just reading it gave me goosebumps. Would've made for a very powerful ending, but I can see why he decided against it. Very dark.

"It opens with McAvoy’s character dressed in a plaid shirt and glasses – the clothing preferred by Dennis, one of Kevin Crumb’s more fearsome personalities who kidnapped the three teenage girls at the onset of Split. Here, Dennis sits cross-legged on the ledge of a rooftop. As the camera pans from behind him, we see Dennis is overlooking a school, with yellow school buses parked out front. The sounds of school children dismissed for the day can be heard in the distance. Dennis says, “Look at all those unbroken souls.” Then the voice of one of Kevin Crumb’s more dominant personalities, Patricia, immediately answers Dennis: “Such a waste.”"

Do you think he should've kept it?

The original ending would not have promoted a sequel, as did the final version. To me, if the original ending would have been used, it would have been too hackneyed-- almost trite.

Supposedly they're working on an Unbreakable - Split successor, so no telling what they have up their sleeves...

~Cheers

I'm aware of the Unbreakable connection and in my opinion the original ending would not have necessarily hindered it in any way. But again, it's understandable why he didn't go forward with it. I am curious to know why you feel it's trite.

I'm aware of the Unbreakable connection and in my opinion the original ending would not have necessarily hindered it in any way. But again, it's understandable why he didn't go forward with it. I am curious to know why you feel it's trite.
It would feel trite to me because of all the references over the years of statements similar to, "So many women, so little time", and the like. Also there have been several endings with the same sentiment, for example in Silence of the Lambs. To my taste, that type of gag is passe.

As it was, I didn't love the ending in Split. For one thing I was confused. But I can see what the producers were up to. It will lead nicely into a sequel.

~Cheers

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Maybe Signs, Split and Unbreakable are connected. The hero in Unbreakable has a weakness to water, just like the Aliens. Maybe the Aliens inserted probes into Bruce Willis rectum and a different breed of alien did the same for Crumb. Both Alien specieces are watching from space, pitting one against the other for a reality TV show.

I prefer the original ending because it doesn't set itself up for a cash-grabbing sequel.

Yeah, they get pretty shameless, don't they? On the other hand people seem to like sequels.

Big Hollywood seems only to make blockbuster type movies anymore, where they have the best chance of guaranteed profits, although those pictures seem to be wearing thin. Films with more interesting plots are left to the independents who are willing to take a chance. Once in awhile a film comes along that fits both bills, but it's rare. I don't want to hijack the thread, so this might be a subject to start its own thread.

~Cheers

I'm thinking this would replace the scene where the horde peers into the mirror and examines the bullet wounds. I'm indifferent towards which of those to keep. Neither seem essential or all too different. The Unbreakable tie-in is the real problem because it cheapens the ending and detracts from the real conclusion in that Casey will no longer be victimized by her uncle

Honestly, I think it was pretty obvious that despite whichever of those endings that he chose, he should have put Bruce Willis after the credits. It would have been the perfect place for a super hero tie in. Unfortunately, less people would have seen it, and Blumhouse is anything but fiscally irresponsible.