The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
For me it was just sooo recent. I thought you were going to nominate that or La La Land. I'm sure some of us haven't seen it though.
I usually don't pick recent nominations, but I wanted to change it up. Almost went American Hustle then realized Miss Vicky would kill it.

I'm not participating in this, but I'm bored, so I'll just post along. Quite a lot of films I haven't seen yet!

NOT SEEN:

Buffalo '66 - Has been on my watchlist for quite some time, but not as a priority (I have more than 5000 films on my watchlist so that puts things in perspective a little bit). I'll definitely look out for people's opinions about it here.

Manchester by the Sea - Might give this one a go some time in the future.

Dances With Wolves - I have this one on DVD, but haven't watched it yet because of its running time. There's a good chance I'll watch it this year for the first time, though.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring - Looks really good and has been on my watchlist for a while. Will definitely watch this in the future.

The Marriage of Maria Braun - Probably the film I'd be most excited about if I was participating. I've only seen one Fassbinder film so far (Despair) and I've been wanting to watch more of his work.

The Three Musketeers - Probably a fun adventure. Wouldn't mind watching this.

Captain Fantastic - A good friend of mine really liked this and recommended it to me, but I haven't watched it yet. I Might in the future.

Forbidden Games - Would be very excited to watch this one as well.

The Quiet Earth - I never knew what to expect from this, which makes it intriguing.

Wings of Desire - I love the films I've seen from Wenders so far, so I would be very excited to watch this, as it's one of his most acclaimed films.

SEEN: (from favorite to least favorite in my opinion)

1) Nightmare Alley - As a big fan of magic, cons and great cinema, this is one of my favorite films of the noir genre!

2) The Hunt - Rarely has a film made me so angry, in a good way.

3) The Great Dictator - Not my favorite Chaplin film (although it's been some time since I've last watched it, so I should check again), but still a fantastic and historically important film.

(gap)

4) Dead Poet's Society - Has some good bits and has some bits that I don't like as much. I generally look at the film in a favorable way, though. It becomes an even more emotional trip now that Robin Williams has left us in the way he did.

(gap)

5) The Broken Circle Breakdown - I'm glad a Belgian film got nominated, but I'm not a huge fan of this one. I think this film hammered too much on its main point and wasn't able to handle its heavy topic in an elegantly subtle way. It's all emotions and clashes throughout the whole film and I wasn't satisfied by how everything came together. The lack of moderation is a bit of a trend that's apparent in many modern Belgian films and it tends to bother me. It's however perfectly possible that people from other countries find this refreshing.
I liked the play this was based on a lot better. I'm sure many of you will like/love this film, though, and you wouldn't be wrong! I reacted rather coldly to this whole film, but I'm sure many of you will feel more warmth and genuine emotions when watching this. Perhaps it was my fault.

(gap)

6) Les Intouchables - This didn't work for me at all in any meaningful sense, but I can see why it's such a crowd-pleaser.

Damn! I think this might be the best Hof ever! I'll be watching every single one of these...all 15!

My thoughts, and I ain't got many as I haven't seen a lot of these

Buffalo '66 (Vincent Gallo, 1998).....No idea on this one?

Dead Poet's Society (Peter Weir, 1989)....this was on my watch list, OK, my wife's watch list actually.

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)... I tried watching it a month ago and didn't finish it. But I'll give at a try.

Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner, 1990)...Seen this twice, and love it! It's fine film making. I'll watch it again too.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (Kim Ki-Duk, 2003) I had wanted to see this, so glad it's nominated, as now I will!

The Marriage of Maria Braun (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1979)...no idea about this, but I liked the poster.

The Three Musketeers (Richard Lester, 1973)...sounds fun! I might have seen it, but what the heck I'll watch it again.

Captain Fantastic (Matt Ross, 2016)...Never heard of it, but looks fun.

The Hunt (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012)...I really want to like another of Neiba's noms I feel bad about hating on his last two, maybe this one will be it.

The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin, 1940)...Very cool, I've been wanting to see this for a long time.

The Broken Circle Breakdown (Felix Van Groeningen, 2012)...another that I've never heard of.

Nightmare Alley (Edmund Goulding, 1947) This is my movie. IMDB says it's a noir, but it's not a typical noir so don't expect detectives, and gun play...in fact don't think of it as a noir.

Forbidden Games (Rene Clement, 1952) Interesting!

The Intouchables (Olivier Nakache, Eric Toledano, 2012) Never heard of it, but looks promising.

The Quiet Earth (Goeff Murphy, 1985)...I was going to watch this for the Sci Fi countdown but never got around to it.

Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987) I've loved all of Cosmic's other noms, so I hope the trend continues.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Buffalo '66 (Vincent Gallo, 1998)
Nominated by Camo
Haven't seen this since it first came out at the theaters. Curious to see how I feel about it now.

Dead Poet's Society (Peter Weir, 1989)
Nominated By Sarge
A past favorite of mine. Been a while since I saw this one, so, YAY

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)
Nominated By Raul
Haven't seen it but curious to see what everyone is talking about

Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner, 1990)
Nominated by Miss Vicky
Great call, Vicky! Been ages since I saw this

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (Kim Ki-Duk, 2003)
Nominated By Nestorio
Haven not seen this but have been quite curious about it

The Marriage of Maria Braun (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1979)
Nominated By Cricket
Have not heard of this but since Cricket nominated it, should be QUITE the crazy ride

The Three Musketeers (Richard Lester, 1973)
Nominated By Edarsenal

Captain Fantastic (Matt Ross, 2016)
Nominated By PussyGalore
I've been on the fence on this one, time to hop off and see what's what

The Hunt (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012)
Nominated By Neiba
Been wanting to see this one, sweet!

The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin, 1940)
Nominated By SilentVamp
Oh fer Eff's SAKE, a CHAPLIN MOVIE!?!?!? SERIOUSLY!!??

just kidding!! LOOOOVE Chaplin!!!! EXCELLENT nom, SV!

The Broken Circle Breakdown (Felix Van Groeningen, 2012)
Nominated By ScarlettLion
Haven't heard of this one

Nightmare Alley (Edmund Goulding, 1947)
Nominated By Citizen Rules
Cannot, for the life of me, remember if I've seen this or not. Either way, looking forward to it

Forbidden Games (Rene Clement, 1952)
Nominated By Jeff Costello
Haven't heard of it but very curious to see it

The Intouchables (Olivier Nakache, Eric Toledano, 2012)
Nominated By Nebu
Another I've been wanting to see

The Quiet Earth (Goeff Murphy, 1985)
Nominated By Clazor
Haven't heard of this one but I've enjoyed Clazor's noms, so should be all kinds of fun

Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
Nominated By Cosmic
Haven't heard of this one as well, and like Clazor, Cosmic has come up with some great movies, so I may I say: YAY

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Looks like I picked a bad nomination as nobody will be watching it for this
You want to know something? I really wasn't too surprised that you nominated that. Considering how you felt about it, I wasn't too shocked to see it here and to see it that soon. Like I said, I've had it on hold at the library for awhile now. So I will be watching it, anyway. And if I am going to be watching it, I might as well be watching it for a HoF. That way I will actually take the time to write how I felt about it.

I've seen most of the nominations and have enjoyed most of them!

Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987) I've loved all of Cosmic's other noms, so I hope the trend continues.
I think you'll like Wings of Desire more than the film I was originally thinking of nominating, which was Nowhere in Africa (2001).

The Marriage of Maria Braun

This was my second Fassbinder after Ali: Fear Eats The Soul which i liked alot. Oddly enough i almost watched it two days before Cricket nominated it. This sta rted off slow and not that interesting but it wasn't for long at all, 10-15 minutes until Maria changes. This was actually pretty similar to Ali: Fear Eats The Soul; challenging social norms, even the racial angle at first. Completely agreed with Cricket; Hanna Schygulla is outstanding, i'd go as far to say she is one of the best female characters i've seen. Her transformation is pretty remarkable, even moreso because you don't actually get to know her that well before it. That's the thing; she transforms more than once, after she ends up working at the bar still dependent on men then she transforms into a confident, powerful women. It was all very well handled. The best thing about Maria for me was the despite all the using and manipulating i never disliked her, she had to do this, this was the only way she could get things done and be happy and i don't see why she shouldn't do exactly that. I did feel a little sorry for Karl who was a decent person who was deeply in love with her and was probably better for her than Hermann, but thing is it's her choice. She is rarely pleasant but then why should she be, she is fighting to survive throughout the film even when she gets great wealth. Even after she finds out about Hermann and ends up really bitchy and forceful it's understandable when you consider everything she has been through and this goal she has been working so hard being crushed so abruptly, as her mom says "These Roses! It's like dying once a month." So yeah, i loved her. If she was in even a fairly known English Language film and not a German one i think Maria Braun would be known as an iconic character today. She is to me now anyway.

There were plenty of great scenes, powerful, funny, odd.. bordering on surreal for me at times mostly in peoples reactions. Like Hermann's return scene which was excellent and obviously seriously upped the drama. So crazy, it made me feel like a moron coz i didn't even consider that was him standing in the door, i was just thinking who is that weirdo, thought it might have been some racist relative or something. It was oddly surreal with Maria's reaction being one of happiness as if nothing was wrong; think that really confirmed her fragile mental state that had been a question up to this point. Not to mention Bill sitting there naked staring at him. That was an excellent turning point as i thought she wasn't capable of that, up til then she didn't seem particularly strong willed and it also cemented her main goal throughout the film as she now literally had blood on her hands. And that ending, jesus that ending. I thought at first it would probably end quietly with her sitting contemplating everything then BOOM...literally.

Sorry this is a scattered collection of my random thoughts. I watched this a few hours ago then i fell asleep for a few hours so it was tough to put everything together. I liked this alot, great start to the hall of fame. Nightmare Alley next for me.

Great list of nominations. I can't wait to get stuck in. I've seen 6 including my own nom. But I'll be re-watching most of them. I'm a huge fan of Manchester by the Sea and The Hunt.

I'm most looking forward to The Quiet Earth and The Marriage of Maria Braun

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop now. No idea what to start with.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Also apologies to @Titu , i was calling you Nebu both in the first post and the mention until i noticed it earlier It's probably @neiba fault, he's all i can think about
Damn Camo, you make me blush...

I'm not participating but as always I'll just give some quick thoughts on the nominees. I've seen 9 of the movies...

Buffalo '66 - Yeah I know about it. Vincent Gallo's most praised picture I would assume. I'm interested in this and had I participated I would've looked forward to it

Dead Poet's Society - Sentimental and cliché but still good and Robin is a lot of the reason why

Manchester by the Sea - Glad to see this nominated. My favourite film of last year. I loved it. As a critic this is one of only three films I have ever given full house to (on the Danish scale)

Dances With Wolves - Only seen the extended version and while long indeed I was never what you would call bored. Great epic and I'll look forward to seeing the theatrical version some day too

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring - I owe this one a revisit some day... but I still liked it just fine the first time around. Maybe it was a little too "predictable" and "cliché" in the way that it played out because of its very structured concept and forced fundament. But a nice movie and interesting experiment.

The Marriage of Maria Braun - Never heard of it but it sounds great!

The Three Musketeers - Never really had any interest in these old adaptions of the story, but it could be interesting.

Captain Fantastic - This was good and Viggo was awesome - probably one of his most personal and honest roles. I liked the idea, I liked the story but the execution was not as good as I hoped. This was merely a good film but I expected it to be either really good or even great.

The Hunt - Local masterpiece. One of the few Danish films that comes through once in a while and is actually amazing. Great and heartbreaking and depressing little film.

The Great Dictator - One of Chaplin's very best. Maybe his best. His transition into talkies was god damn flawless.

The Broken Circle Breakdown - One of those low budget indie flicks that everybody loved upon release but I found it to be meh... I loved the concept but the execution was too obvious and predictable and it annoyed me...

Nightmare Alley - Never heard of it

Forbidden Games - Never heard of it.

The Intouchables - The essential feel good movie. Such a very human and touching story. Great fun and sentimental while keeping it real.

The Quiet Earth - Never heard of it.

Wings of Desire - Really want to see this. Sounds great!

Which 5 other than your nom out of interest?
Dead poets, Manchester, Dances with wolves, The Hunt and Captain Fantastic.

My nom certainly won't be for everyone, but then as long as 1 person enjoys it I will feel ok.

What are the other two?
Boyhood and Whiplash.

Obviously I've seen plenty of full house features since I started, but if we are only counting those movies I went to press screenings for and reviewed on the Danish website then that's it...

Also apologies to @Titu , i was calling you Nebu both in the first post and the mention until i noticed it earlier It's probably @neiba fault, he's all i can think about

No just kidding . It's no big deal

Legend in my own mind
The instructions seem to have gone.

So I just watch each of these films and review and rate them by August right?

Do I post my reviews on this thread?

When sending the ranked list at the end should we include our own nomination or not?

When sending the ranked list at the end should we include our own nomination or not?
Yep include your own nomination.

Let the night air cool you off
Interesting hof stat:

The last seven numbered winners have been English language films. In the first five numbered hofs we had six hof winners, due to a tie, and three of those were non-English language films. So, we went from 3/6 to 0/7. Big drop off from foreign language winners. That's not necessarily a good or bad thing, but it is kind of weird. Any thoughts on why this happened?