Who wants to be on our next podcast?

Tools    

Howdy. Most of you know we do a sporadic podcast around here. One our regulars has been MIA from the site for awhile, and we find a three-person cast works best, so we're putting out the call for possible replacements.

It's pretty simple: every month or two someone picks a movie, we all watch it, think about it/take notes/whatever, then we all hop on Skype for an hour or so and just talk about it. Easy.

Here are a few recent episodes:
Decent chance we'll end up trying a few people, and picking one or two to ask back now and then. Don't take this personally! I think the community's probably full of people who would do a great job, but with three people on at once, it's as much about complimenting each other's strengths as overall ability.

Next movie TBD, but hey, if you have a ton to say about one, we might take your suggestion, too. Feel free to reply here, PM me, or both.

I'm still interested in participating but am not 100% sure I can do it. It would be good if a couple more people are lined up just in case.

Thanks guys. Any interested parties, keep throwing your digital hats in the virtual ring. Can't hurt, if you're interested.

I think I better leave this to the native English speakers.
Up to you; I haven't heard you speak, but given how strong your English is in your posts, seems plausible it wouldn't be an issue at all.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I dont have a mic - no idea what happened to it. The date line could cause problems although my insomnia might work out. Most of all, I dont like hearing my 12 year old voice.

Yeah, we did interview one person on the podcast from Australia, and the sound quality was quite rough. I think they were on a phone, too, which produces worse quality than all of us being on Skype, but it's possible anyone half a world away will have the issue.

You must have been getting the very annoying time lag if they were on their phone.

I think there should be a woman on there and you have a prime candidate right there in shoutbox today. She would be great.

The Australian I mentioned was a woman, in fact! I asked her in part because the film was Australian. She did a great job (you can listen here), sound quality aside! It was for The Last Wave.

Anyway, I assume you mean @ash_is_the_gal, in which case, she'd definitely be welcome.

movies can be okay...
I would actually love to do this, but unfortunately I'm not sure if my schedule would allow it, especially with my completely different timezone from the majority of the site's population.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I should elaborate a bit on that, then: we usually "tape" on a weekend afternoon on Eastern time (like, say, Saturday at 1:00 or 2:00 PM). For everyone not in, well, Australia or eastern Asia, that usually works well, since it's just mid-evening in the UK. I think you're in that same general time zone, too, so I imagine it would work, if you can swing something in the evening.

With the success of last year's live-action The Jungle Book from Disney and yet another version due out in 2018 directed by Andy Serkis with an all-star cast, how about some other Kipling? Because of the enduring success and constant rebranding of The Jungle Book I feel like everybody knows that one, even if they have never read it. But Rudyard Kipling has had other works adapted by cinema. My favorite is definitely John Huston's 1975 The Man Who Would Be King starring Sean Connery, Michael Caine, and Christopher Plummer, but another good candidate for watching and discussing is George Stevens' 1939 Gunga Din starring Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Cary Grant, and Victor McLaglen.

If you pick one of them, I'll play with ya.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Australian I mentioned was a woman, in fact! I asked her in part because the film was Australian. She did a great job (you can listen here), sound quality aside! It was for The Last Wave.

Anyway, I assume you mean @ash_is_the_gal, in which case, she'd definitely be welcome.

Ofcourse I mean cn talk under wet cement ash. I dont think you lads would get a word in LOL.

Would you believe I have actully never seen The Last Wave. Shameful.

If you pick one of them, I'll play with ya.
Very intriguing. I had an eye towards doing a few of these with the specific intent of finding someone, like @bluedeed, who would easily transition into doing it regularly. I assumed that would preclude you. But I might have to take you up on that, even if it ends up being a one-off.

Frankly, I just figured you needed a full year to recharge after the massive infodump that is the annual Oscar podcast.

Notice that she was careful to make sure her objection here was as few words as possible. She's self-conscious now. You're in her head.
LMAO. I most certainly noticed that.

i don't have to prove anything! look at my post count! it's tiny!

i kinda want to do this tho
I second your nomination.