The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Terminator is the only one from my list to appear since my last visit. I had it at #16 and, while I'm not surprised to see T2 above it (presumably) I am on the divide with those who think it's the better of the two. Maybe it's because I'd seen it a few times before the sequel came out? Maybe it's because I feel they really drag the ending of the sequel out (not that that doesn't happen in the first, too, but to a lesser extent I feel) or maybe just because the sequel is more of an action film than the previous one? Whether it's one of a combination of those, it's better. Also, while still entertaining, I feel the sequel is too long. Despite all that, don't be too surprised if I have something to say about the sequel when it shows up.

I think I have three more to appear in this countdown.

Nice to see 12 Monkeys make the list and highly placed, too. Had I seen it more recently or more times it might've made my list.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If anyone gets all ten correct, maybe I'll buy them one of the movies on Blu-ray or something.
Or something!!!!!! It could be a potato.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
As for The Terminator, just like Aliens it fell out of my list due to my only one film per series ruling. Shame, cause it's a great flick. I saw it last year at a Flashback Film Fest. Great to watch on the big screen.

I have little to no use for any of the sequels, including the one most people love, but the original Terminator still holds up and is still a lot of fun. Saw it on the big screen again last year and had a blast. I had it at the bottom of my list at number twenty-four, but had to have it in the mix, somewhere. If only to keep it THAT much closer to T2 on the countdown, even knowing the sequel would easily place higher. I have six of the remaining nine on my list.

MY LIST
2. Solaris (#23)
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#27)
6. Children of Men (#20)
7. 12 Monkeys (#14)
8. Moon (#29)
9. Her (#25)
11. Brazil (#32)
13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers [1956] (#46)
15. Stalker (#22)
16. Invasion of the Body Snatchers [1978] (#58)
18. The Hidden (#82)
20. Ghostbusters (#57)
22. The Fly (#15)
23. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
24. The Terminator (#10)
25. Safety Not Guaranteed (DNP)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I had The Terminator at #16. Like with Alien/Aliens I used to rank the sequel higher, but time changes everything - or some things at least.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I have seen Terminator, Aliens, & The Matrix, but none of them were on my list, only one that would of made my list would of been Aliens but I left it off because I didn't want to put more than 1 film from a franchise on my list. I don't hate the Terminator films I like the first 2 films to a degree but they aren't anywhere close to my favorites. It also doesn't help that I'm not the biggest fan of Schwarzenegger and the only film with him in it that I really like as a whole is Predator. The Matrix on the other hand I'm just not a fan of. Didn't even bother with the sequels which I heard weren't good anyways.

My List: 17/25

Seen: 53/91

1. Jurassic Park (13)
2. Independence Day (40)
3. Looper (100)
4. Starship Troopers (54)
5. Will Make the List
6. The Prestige (72)
7. Not making it
8. Signs (76)
9. Not making it
10. Most likely making the list.
11. Making the List
12. Not making the list
13. Avatar (80)
14. 28 Days Later (85)
15. Making the list, will probably be #1 or at least top 5
16. Predator (26)
17. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (27)
18. The Martian (60)
19. E.T. (21)
20. District 9 (65)
21. Edge of Tomorrow (66)
22. Mad Max: Fury Road (37)
23. Inception (24)
24. Source Code (92)
25. Cloverfield (Unranked)

As for The Terminator, just like Aliens it fell out of my list due to my only one film per series ruling.

I knew you were a fan of Genisys. Bloody well knew it.

The Terminator was number 5 on my list. Honestly with no exaggeration if I had to estimate how many times I have watched this movie it would 500 times. Maybe even more. When I was a kid I remember always wanting the Nike shoes Reese steals in the beginning of the movie.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats
Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Just like that James Cameron is now tied with Spielberg for most films on the countdown (4). To be honest, I didn't expect any Terminator film to make the top ten, let alone two of them (and back to back to) It was actually a pretty close race between the two of them with T2 only appearing on one more list than its original.

The Placements
1st
2nd
3rd (x2)
4th (x3)
5th (x3)
7th
8th
9th
10th (x2)
12th (x2)
13th
17th
18th
19th
20th
22nd (x3)
23rd
25th (x2)

I told y'all my luck was gone... I was WAAY off with that one. I was sure this was very beloved and predicted a spot at number two. Stupid me. I should have known 2001, the Star Wars films and The Thing would at least all beat out that one. Ugh.

Anyways, T2 was, of course, on my list. I had it all the way up at #3. One of the best action movies of all time and since it's also sci-fi it had to make it up high on my list here as well...

Woody Allen is a pedophille
PREDICTION GAME UPDATE
I went back and looked through the predictions, and it seems no one guessed both 10 and 9 correctly, however four people are currently on the board with points.

Siddon, Holden, and TUS all guessed Terminator would be Number 10 so they all get 1 point
Raven73 incorrectly guessed #10 as Back to the Future, but was the only person to guess T2 correctly which gets him 2 points.
Let me know if I missed anyone, but so far these are the only people on the board:
1. Raven73 - 2 Points
2. (tie) Holden Pike - 1 Point
2. (tie) TUS - 1 Point
2. (tie) Siddon - 1 Point