Enemy at the Gates

→ in
Tools    

Is it just me, or did it drive anyone else nuts that the supposed RUSSIANS were speaking with ENGLISH accents? I almost found myself wondering when they were going to start saying "Jolly good show old chap, now lets retire for a spot of tea."

Not meant in any way to be offensive to anyone from England. The point is, couldn't they find actors who could at least disguise their accents a little better? Rachel Weisz was particually bad in this respect.

I thought the movie itself was entertaining, but at times it seemed to drag a bit. It started off really well, but seemed to slow down in the middle, I fell asleep twice trying to watch it. I love the idea of making a movie about Stalingrad, and I like even more that they added some historical figures in it. I hope to see more of this type of movie, just without the silly accents.

DS

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, most movies made that take place in places other than America, England, whatnot don't speak a language that an average audience wants to sit through and read subtitles. The only reason I can think of for the acents is because this was an overseas movie. Not being made in American prompted the english accents. I bet an American sounds pretty funny to an Englishman. So, accents are a small factor to movies if you ask me.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Me I wouldve preferred the Russians to have russian accents & americans to sound american & so on! I dont know why the director didnt do this. English actors can do any accent they have to & Im sure Jude Law would have had no problems. Im not sure american actors can do a lot of accents though. The only americans I know who can do decent foreign accents of any kind are

Meryl Streep, Glenn close& Gwyneth paltrow. Humm, cant really think of any US men who are any good at euro accents. John Malkovitch sounded just plain weird in the Liasons movie & he wasnt that great in iron mask & mary reilly either.

This movie was lame. I liked the sniper scenes but the rest of them were stupid, and boring.

But Jude Law, man is he a knockout.

Originally posted by Steve N.
This movie was lame. I liked the sniper scenes but the rest of them were stupid, and boring.

But Jude Law, man is he a knockout.
Dude, you keep fawning all over him. Do you bat from the other side of the plate or something? I mean, yeah, he's handsome...but, uh...well, you get my point.

Well you keep fawnin over MJ TWT! hahaha! What is it, do you like tiny wee noseys?
ME & Steve, well we just know when we are outclassed in the gorgeous department.

Well, in that case, I guess Peter and I are too naive to reliaze that, though, eh? And no, I don't like MJ's looks...they're freakish. His music, however, is unrivaled.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Back on subject...

The movie was done wonderfully. The scenes of Stalingrad were spectacular. The scene where Joseph Fiennes meets up with Jude Law and the whole shoot when theres an explosion thing was awesome. I couldn't find anything I didn't like about this movie. Rachel Weisz sure has a white backside...LOL

Now With Moveable Parts
I just rented this movie last night.I thought it was a titch to slow.I liked the part where Jude picks off those first few guys.Joeseph always plays these dispicable characters doesn't he? In Elizabeth,he played this horrible,jealous lover.Then this one,the chick he liked wasn't even remotely interested in him and he would betray his friend over her? And I thought girls were ruthless...

the big question here is, is it worth paying 3.79$ and renting or not?
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Now With Moveable Parts
It was worth watching.I would have been dissapointed had I seen it in the theaters,but granted that I watched it on my comfy couch and could drift in and out of sleep at the dull parts...I'd say it was mildly entertaining.Someone told me that the version they show overseas has a longer love scene in it and that it adds to the relationship and makes for a better movie.Could just be a rumor though.

Rock God
lol, the love scene is the funniest thing i've seen in ages. i can't remember anything less romantic. "oh, vassili, make boring, unpassionate, fully clothed love to me here on this dirt floor".... and then there's that old guy watching them.. i guess he's a guard or something. that was just so incredibly weak

I think that was the point: this was not some stupid romance novel crap where they get caught in the rain, run into an old barn, lay down in loft full of hay, and tear each other's clothes off. I appreciated that about it.

Yeah I too apreciate dirty unclothed lovemakin, its just what I want to see. Oh Wassily, touch me there THERE, oh Wassily Wassily its so hard when were both wearin winter wool!!!

Now With Moveable Parts
LOL...not only that,but her face wasn't that of enjoyment and exstasy...she looked pained or something...maybe the wool friction was causing a fire or something.She just looked in a lot of discomfort.

On the subject of accents. I don't get too upset if an English accent or an American accent is used for a foreign language as long as the accent is consistent. In Hamlet, they never use a Danish accent. In Romeo and Juliet they don't speak with an Italian accent. Unfortunately in Enemy of the Gate, the principle trio (Law, Weisz and Fiennes) all adopt a British accent while Bob Hoskins chooses a ridiculous Russian accent. It didn't feel historically accurate.

And on the subject of the sex scene. I believe Weisz's character was losing her virginity and so obviously it hurt. I thought that was the most romantic and most erotic sex scene of the year.

I loved the film by the way. The performances of Law and Weisz were excellent but Ed Harris and Joseph Fiennes stood out for me. I couldn't believe Fiennes got bad reviews. I love his intensity as an actor.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by bigvalbowski

And on the subject of the sex scene. I believe Weisz's character was losing her virginity and so obviously it hurt. I thought that was the most romantic and most erotic sex scene of the year.
Well then if that's the case(losing her virginity)it could have been a helluva lot sexier than that! Jeez...if that's romantic...it lasted like 3min.poor girl...she'll be pleasently surprised later in her relationship that she actually gets to have a good time too! Sheesh...romantic as dirty,smelly,cold-cement,quick,virginal love could be I guess.