Sooo...I'm Transgender!!

Tools    

I have mixed feelings in general about transgender athletes in competition but just in reference to this statement, here's the trailblazing transgender fighter Fallon Fox getting her ass kicked by a woman

1 loss, 5 wins.

This is a a man who served in the US navy with a fully matured male body, the operation doesn't shave down your bone density, a man can punch harder than a woman, period. I condemn Fox in the strongest terms possible, so should everyone.

You ready? You look ready.
I condemn Fox in the strongest terms possible, so should everyone.
Well, I hate to be the one to tell you this but she isn't condemned by everyone. Sorry!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I've not heard of her before. What do the cis female competitors think of it?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does cis mean?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does cis mean?
I think it's a new term as I only found out last year. Opposite of trans I.e the gender you're born as.

Cis is a root of Latin. Roughly translates to "on this side of".
I've forgotten all my latin. I only remember 'goodmorning girls'.

Thanks Kendra. I wondered where the word came from.

You ready? You look ready.
OK folks, I need some advice on a situation.

About three years ago now was when I told my best friend that I am transgender and would be eventually transitioning, and he was super supportive when I told him. But shortly after that he started growing distant with me and at this point I haven't seen him in person or talked on the phone with him in almost 2 years. I've tried to keep in touch with him by texting but he very rarely replies to my messages...but then there are times that he will initiate a conversation by texting me (for instance, last Friday he texted me pictures of his new car...before that we hadn't exchanged texts in a couple months).

I've gotten him to talk about us growing distant a couple times but it hasn't really gone anywhere mainly because I haven't put much effort in trying to broach the subject. Basically, when we do text it's about the stuff that we have always texted about (cars, computers, etc.). So like...nothing is different there but we used to have some pretty deep conversations in the past like real sensitive information or emotionally heavy things. And I miss that.

I'm just lost on what I should do. I want to try reaching out about all this but like where do I go from here?

OK folks, I need some advice on a situation.

About three years ago now was when I told my best friend that I am transgender and would be eventually transitioning, and he was super supportive when I told him. But shortly after that he started growing distant with me and at this point I haven't seen him in person or talked on the phone with him in almost 2 years. I've tried to keep in touch with him by texting but he very rarely replies to my messages...but then there are times that he will initiate a conversation by texting me (for instance, last Friday he texted me pictures of his new car...before that we hadn't exchanged texts in a couple months).

I've gotten him to talk about us growing distant a couple times but it hasn't really gone anywhere mainly because I haven't put much effort in trying to broach the subject. Basically, when we do text it's about the stuff that we have always texted about (cars, computers, etc.). So like...nothing is different there but we used to have some pretty deep conversations in the past like real sensitive information or emotionally heavy things. And I miss that.

I'm just lost on what I should do. I want to try reaching out about all this but like where do I go from here?
Hi John.
What's your friend's situation - did he get a girlfriend, buy a house, move, start a new career, start a family, etc.? I'm asking because I've had male friends where once they found a significant other, I never heard from them again. Other friends would have a kid and now we're on a talk-to-you-only-on-Christmas basis.

I remember reading an interesting article about how it's natural for people to drift apart and how most people will have many sets of "best friends" throughout life and only a tiny percentage are lifelong - and in those cases they are usually based on things like proximity (like where you become friends with your nextdoor neighbor and neither of you ever move or where your families are interconnected).

Based on your message, it seems your concern is that your friend is becoming distant due to your transgenderism. If you talk to him again bring it up (as a matter of what's happening with you) and at some point just ask him how he feels about it or ask his advice on some upcoming aspect of your transition. His response (especially things like tone, hesitancy, level of interest and such) should give you some indication even if he's overtly trying to be polite by saying it's all cool with him.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
he sounds like an ass tbh

but yeah, just ask him bluntly if his pulling away had anything to do with your transition. and that you wish it was the way it used to be and don't understand why things changed. also, say something like 'every time i try to broach this topic it never goes anywhere, and it's really been on my mind, bothering me... especially when i don't hear from you for months and then you out of nowhere text me pics of your new car.'

of course, that could just make him pull away even further, but... at least then you'll pretty much know the reason, right?

Steel is right about having many best friends over the course of your life/people drifting in and out over the years. whenever this sort of thing happened to me, i've had a hard time letting go of those people too. it takes time to get over stuff like that, but you should take his response at face value and try to accept that this is how it is now. maybe you don't want to be friends with someone who can't be there for you when you really needed them, you know?

anyway, i'm sorry that happened to you.

Hey MoFos

I figure it's time I bring you all into the fold: I identify as heterosexual male. It was about twenty and a half ago that I finally admitted it to myself, and it wasn't until now that I finally became comfortable with telling people.

I'm an open book so—if you want—feel free to ask any question.

Cheers!

Welcome to the site...how you identify yourself is pretty much a non-issue to me, the only thing I care about is whether or not you like musicals.

I remember it's the only time I got a rep from you when i said I Love Hair. I might get another one when I do a review of A Star is born (54), you might be stunned, as was I. Let's just say it's my fave classic that I've seen on this last run. Top 10 probably, I need to update it.

Back on topic - I don't know if trans is better or worse than hetero or homo...maybe there's no difference at all in that respect? John, imho the only important thing is that you fight.

Sooo...name change stuff is all official: I got my new license yesterday.
Ah'ma call you John. (I usually only call people by their I.D. name unless they give specific permission to call them by a personal name.)

Did you get a new photo with your new license? (And did you make that come hither face?)

Ah'ma call you John. (I usually only call people by their I.D. name unless they give specific permission to call them by a personal name.)

Did you get a new photo with your new license? (And did you make that come hither face?)
While we're at it, you can call me John.

Back from the dead, man, BACK FROM THE DEAD!

Which is your fave song of mine?
Is Elvis there with you? (We know he's alive too, we saw him making a background appearance in Home Alone!)

Asking me to pick a favorite Lennon song is like asking me to pick a favorite movie.