The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Im more or less kinda surprised that there is only 1 Comic Book Movie and One Star Wars movie thus far.
Actually we have 6 comic book films. We have The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, plus Judge Dredd is from an English comic 2000 AD, Ghost in the Shell and Nausicaa are adapted from Manga, and Men in Black was originally a comic too.

And Empire and Star Wars will more then likely both be in the Top 10.Seven or Rogue One I think are too recent to make a top 100. The prequels never had a chance.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I freaking adore Wall-e. Just such a beautiful film both visually and emotionally. It's gorgeous looking, it's very funny, it's got a massive heart and is really touching. I had it all the way up at #3. My review here - JayDee's Wall-e review

And The Fly is another great film though it didn't make my list. When I realised at the last moment that I needed another film to fill out my list it was amongst a small group of films that I considered but it just missed out. It's got a great performance from Jeff Goldblum, some incredible f/x work and prosthetics and turns out to be exceptionally tragic.

Seen - 73 / 86

My List
2. The Truman Show (#94)
3. Wall-e (#16)
10. Back to the Future Part II (#42)
11. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (#21)
12. Men in Black (#61)
14. Demolition Man (#68)
15. Independence Day (#40)
16. They Live (#45)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
18. Children of Men (#20)
19. Total Recall (#19)
20. Galaxy Quest (#88)
22. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#58)
25. Gattaca (#51)

I'm surprised The Fly is so high, but it's been a very long time since I saw it so maybe a rewatch is in order.

I had WALL-E at #11. I remember watching it with my nieces and nephew for the first time. I asked them what their favourite movies were and then the oldest, my nephew asked what mine was. I went with WALL-E - wasn't about to explain 2001 to them...or Taxi Driver. So we sat down and watched it together. I know people say the first act is a bit slow for kids, but these guys were right in it. My niece, just like her dad, was asking questions the whole time: "Is that WALL-E's girlfriend?" "Is WALL-E sad?" Does WALL-E love EVE?" And so on...
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Since there's been so much talk about Solaris I thought I'd pose my questions here. I realize the movie doesn't answer them (maybe the book did?), but maybe someone has an idea. Where is Solaris?

My theory is it has to be a planet that drifted into our solar system that is close enough to reach, but far enough that it has no major effect on our gravity, axis, rotation, etc. According to the movie, we've built a space station to orbit it that we can readily travel to.

If the planet is not in our solar system, but is orbiting another star, then it is light years aways - which means we'd need some kind of travel that doesn't exist - but according to the movie, people on Earth are still driving cars from the 70's on crowded highways.
In between nominees, anyone feel like taking a stab at my question?
Where is Solaris?

Since there's been so much talk about Solaris I thought I'd pose my questions here. I realize the movie doesn't answer them (maybe the book did?), but maybe someone has an idea. Where is Solaris?

My theory is it has to be a planet that drifted into our solar system that is close enough to reach, but far enough that it has no major effect on our gravity, axis, rotation, etc. According to the movie, we've built a space station to orbit it that we can readily travel to.

If the planet is not in our solar system, but is orbiting another star, then it is light years aways - which means we'd need some kind of travel that doesn't exist - but according to the movie, people on Earth are still driving cars from the 70's on crowded highways.
The answer is: the location of Solaris is not important for cinematic reasons. There forth the director doesn't bother to make it clear as it's not that type of film. Seriously you can't apply logic to an art house movie.

In between nominees, anyone feel like taking a stab at my question?
Where is Solaris?
Solaris is a metaphore for the cruelty of the unknown. There's no need to analyze it in any logical manner.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Children of Men is such a masterfully crafted film. I had it as my #6. A film with a great concept is only half the battle, but they really did a magnificent job of planting you directly into this world where no more humans are being born. Such dread and depression oozes out of the screen and with a sliver of hope near the end. Do I even need to mention the cinematography????

The Fly Sadly not on my list, but I really dig that flick. Glad to see it place so high too.

Wall-E was indeed on my list, I had it placed at #8. So much is sad, with so little. The first half is silent and yet had more emotion and story elements deployed on the screen than most Hollywood films today. Sure the second half becomes a bit more generic, but as a whole, this film is a classic piece of animated filmmaking.

#1: Dark City
#2: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
#3:
#4:
#5: Inception
#6: Children of Men
#7: Minority Report
#8: Wall-E
#9: District 9
#10:
#11:
#12: E.T
#13:
#14:
#15: The 5th Element
#16: Ghostbusters
#17: Avatar
#18: Moon
#19: Serenity
#20: Interstellar
#21: Donnie Darko
#22:
#23:
#24: Will be #1
#25: Edge of Tomorrow

Suspect's Reviews

The answer is: the location of Solaris is not important for cinematic reasons. There forth the director doesn't bother to make it clear as it's not that type of film. Seriously you can't apply logic to an art house movie.
And not to belabor the point, but then why have Chris take a space ship there? Why not just have him click his heels or something and just arrive there?
(I know there's no answer, I just like when sci-fi makes sense.)

You can find scientific plot holes in pretty much every sci-fi story/film, by the way. If that puts you off, you should simply read science. Fiction requires imagination.

You can find scientific plot holes in pretty much every sci-fi story/film, by the way. If that puts you off, you should simply read science. Fiction requires imagination.
Mmm... sometimes more, sometimes less. Depends on the type of fiction. A lot of fiction takes the reader / watcher on a ride, but leaves them with very little guess work as to how or why things are transpiring as they are.

(and probably why I prefer Star Trek = "It's Voyager 6!")
In Star Trek, there's artificial gravity in space, while the space ships aren't even spinning to produce it. A Voyager 6 joke doesn't fix that.

Sci-fi films need to take some liberties to remain doable. The future is merely a fictional setting in which stories can be told that can resonate to us today. It's the ideas that matter, not the scientific correctness of the environment.

I love Close Encounters but didn't make room for it on my list, and WALL·E is super enjoyable but didn't make my cut, either. But David Cronenberg's gory, unsettling, philosophical, body-obsessed sensibility was an absolutely perfect match to update and massively surpass the '50s camp of The Fly. I had it towards the bottom of my list, but had to name it. Too damn effective and memorable and dementedly awesome to leave it off my list.

MY LIST
2. Solaris (#23)
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#27)
6. Children of Men (#20)
8. Moon (#29)
9. Her (#25)
11. Brazil (#32)
13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers [1956] (#46)
15. Stalker (#22)
16. Invasion of the Body Snatchers [1978] (#58)
18. The Hidden (#82)
20. Ghostbusters (#57)
22. The Fly (#15)
23. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
25. Safety Not Guaranteed (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Depends on the type of fiction. A lot of fiction takes the reader / watcher on a ride, but leaves them with very little guess work as to how or why things are transpiring as they are.
Maybe it's not supposed to be guess work. Maybe it's just not relevant or interesting to explore and should therefore be left for what it is.

Welcome to the human race...
Didn't vote for either. I remember thinking Wall-E was good, but I haven't revisited it for one reason or another so I have no idea how it holds up. The Fly, on the other hand...I went to a screening of it many years ago and I remember not liking it, so it's probably more in need of a second viewing than anything else on this list.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Wall-E was #2 on my list, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind was #3 on my list, but my top 3 are easily interchangeable depending on my mood. Either of these had a good chance of being #1 on my list if I had done it on a different day.

I like Planet of the Apes, but not enough for it to make my list. The best part of the movie is the ending.

I saw The Fly many years ago, and it's a good movie, but it's too close to a horror movie for me, so it didn't have a chance to make my list.

Seen: 70-1/2 out of 86
My list: 9 so far

1) E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
2) WALL·E (2008)
3) Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
4) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
6) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)