Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Why him > King Kong 2005?
First hour of "King Kong" is great. Then it has some stellar moments centering around Naomi Watts but is generally tedious action for me.

I like comedies and "Why Him" was easy on me. I don't know how good the humor is for repeat viewings, though. Most comedies tend to pale in time.

First hour of "King Kong" is great.
Usually people have it the other way around.

They hate the first hour for being all exposition and character introductions with most of it feeling like an introduction or prologue to the actual movie.

Myself though, I don't mind it. I like it. And I like the rest of the film too. But this is far from the movie it once was to me... Still entertaining though.

I love comedies but I actually felt embarrassed for Bryan Cranston when I saw the trailer for that movie. I haven't seen it so I really can't judge; I just thought it looked unbearably awful. This coming from someone who loved Dirty Grandpa.

They hate the first hour for being all exposition and character introductions with most of it feeling like an introduction or prologue to the actual movie.

Myself though, I don't mind it. I like it. And I like the rest of the film too. But this is far from the movie it once was to me... Still entertaining though.
All characters are great. Unfortunately they get lost in never ending action of following two hours. I guess people have different tastes as to what sort of action they are into.

I love comedies but I actually felt embarrassed for Bryan Cranston when I saw the trailer for that movie. I haven't seen it so I really can't judge; I just thought it looked unbearably awful. This coming from someone who loved Dirty Grandpa.
Most people didn't like "Why Him".

I guess people have different tastes as to what sort of action they are into.
I prefer "bedroom action"

But dumb CG action can be fun too... sometimes more than the above... but that's probably only if your companion looks like Kong

Finally got around to watching Snowden (2016) last night. I'm a big enough Stone fan to where I enjoyed it. Thought the tone would be a tad darker; I don't think anything he's done has been as dark as Nixon (1995) was. Thought Rhys Ifans was easily the best part of the movie.

King Kong (2005)Usually people have it the other way around.

I liked King Kong (2005) fairly well, but not a favorite. I enjoyed the first hour much more than the second hour. Exposition and character development is what I like. I don't care for movies that are heavy on action.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Passengers. Dreadful acting except for the bar tender. Even Fishburn looked like he was phoning it in. I give it a 1 of poppycock just because it looked saccharine pretty.

Memories of Murder (2003)

Excellent Korean mystery thriller based on a real life event of Korean Zodiac.

The Coal Miner's Daugher (1980)

Tickled

(David Farrier & Dylan Reeve)

When I first heard about this film, my eyebrows raised from confusion and interest. Then when I saw it available on demand, I made sure to sit my wife down to watch it with me. Her look of complete confusion and the questions she asked during and after gave me a chuckle. This is one weird film.

For those who do not know what it is about, a New Zealand journalist stumbles upon a video online about 'Competitive Endurance Tickling'. Those three words were enough to pique his interest and watch. After finding it somewhat humorous, he knew he had to dive deeper into this odd phenomenon. Big mistake. After finding the company that puts these competitions on, he requested interviews and information and was greeted with homophobic hostility (he's gay) and threats of legal action. Not wanting to be bullied away, he goes head first into the investigation and discovers a world of deceit, fraud and identity theft.

Wow, yes, this film takes some weird turns and leaves you scratching your head over the absurdity of it all. I'll try not to go into too much detail because half the fun in watching this is seeing how depraved the rabbit hole goes, but this film needs some sort of explaining. I'll pose this question to you; if you were looking for some quick cash and a company offered you $2,000, hotel and a flight to the shooting location, would you partake in this tickle competition? How it works is, you are strapped down on a mat. Hands and feet are both tied and another man (they are all men) sits on top of you and....tickles you. Then more men come over and they...tickle you as well. One individual had four men tickling him at once; one for each foot, one for his torso and another under his arms. He laughs and squirms,but he can't go anywhere. This is all filmed as well. Nothing too sexual about it.

Then the video randomly appears online.

When you ask for the company to take it down, that's when things get weird...er. This company then send the video to all your friends, family, co-workers with hateful messages about how perverted you are and how dangerous you are to children, etc. They try to destroy your life and have succeeded in a few cases. It's somewhat tragic.

Farrier interviews a tickle fetishist and he explains how it's no different from a foot fetish. Sure, people have their weird sexual fantasies and what not, but the individual(s) behind these attacks seems to be on another plane of existence. How far will this company go to humiliate people? Will they steal identities? Threaten fake legal action? Threaten lives? The answer to all of these questions is of course, yes.

Tickled is one of the weirdest documentaries I've ever seen and it's the subject matter that saves an otherwise mediocre film. Check it out for the sheer absurdity of it.
I watched this due to your post, and enjoyed it immensely. It is completely bizarre. The ending was a bit abrupt but it shows they didn't have anything else to so on I guess. I'd love to see a follow up documentary on Jane O'Brien in a year or 2. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

This might just do nobody any good.

I wrote two paragraphs about this and realized the last sentence was all I needed:

"It's totally harmless but utterly unnecessary."

5/10

I for one liked the whole film (I mean it was in my top 50 films & still is) one of the things I liked was the character development. It had better developed characters than the new King Kong film.

movies can be okay...
I've Loved You So Long (2008):

Pretty good film, I'm not as crazy about it as much as I wanted to be mainly due to the acting not being as great as I expected, don't think I will ever re-watch it but I still enjoyed it a bunch.

The Barbarian Invasions (2003):

Another good film, I liked the humour, the acting, but its "political message" isn't as impactful as some would say, it's still a pretty neat fun movie.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Afflicted (2013)

+

This is a found footage/documentary style horror that's a cross between Chronicle and a vampire movie. A couple of friends in their 20's head out for a multi-continental trip of a lifetime. One of the guys had recently been diagnosed with some sort of brain aneurysm and his family is worried that if he's away and something happens, he may not be able to get the medical help he needs. The other guy is a sort of amateur filmmaker and is going to document the trip. In Paris, something happens to the guy with the health concern and he begins to change. He gets very sick but he also develops powers. It's not an especially intelligent or original movie, but if you like the premise, I would definitely recommend it. I thought there were some genuinely exciting and creepy moments, and I was thoroughly entertained.