Maniac Cop - Reboot

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Nicolas Winding Refn, Lene Borglum, and William Lustig will be producing an official modern day reboot of Lustig's 1980's horror film Maniac Cop. The project was announced two years ago but the greenlight officially happened yesterday.

Borglum said the film is not going to be seen as a horror film but more of a contemporary and realistic action thriller about a female L.A. cop who investigates the murders of innocent people at the hands of one of her fellow officers. Ed Brubaker wrote the script and John Hyams is going to direct the film. Casting is underway, but who will take over for the late Robert Z'Dar as the titular cop. (Z'Dar played the character in three films, all directed by Lustig)

The film begins production this summer for a 2018 release date.

I really like the Maniac Cop films and I have no real problem with this being 'rebooted', but Nicolas Winding Refn is a name which torpedoes this for me. He's going to suck all the fun out of it. Here's hoping it can work as a serious film.

Welcome to the human race...
John Hyams is the truly interesting name here. His work on the Universal Soldier franchise goes above and beyond what would normally be required of your typical straight-to-video Van Damme vehicles, so I'll be interested in this if he continues that same level of unorthodox action/horror filmmaking that he brought to Day of Reckoning.