Sooo...I'm Transgender!!

Tools    

Now I know why you argue so much, Omnizoa: bad sources.
If you're referring to the gender gap thing, he's right. Though obviously, I'd urge anyone who wants to discuss that to reply via that link, rather than in here.

No, I just offered another definition, from Oxford I might add and not myself
That's not the post I was referring to (check the link). From that post:
"No, they are not biologically female and male. I used the terms correctly."
If this was all obvious stuff, like everyone keeps telling me it is, then wouldn't those definitions be the same? Or at least pretty damn close?
They are, given that chromosomes and the production of sperm or eggs are almost totally synonymous.

You ready? You look ready.
That's not the post I was referring to (check the link). From that post:
"No, they are not biologically female and male. I used the terms correctly."

They are, given that chromosomes and the production of sperm or eggs are almost totally synonymous.
Dude, just stop talking on the intersex issue as you don't have a proper handle on it: they are not synonymous.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

If you're referring to the gender gap thing, he's right. Though obviously, I'd urge anyone who wants to discuss that to reply via that link, rather than in here.
If by right you mean he's playing semantics to downplay an important, real world issue? Then yeah, he is totally right.

Dude, just stop talking on the intersex issue as you don't have a proper handle on it: they are not synonymous.
Hence "almost totally synonymous," given that the thing I was replying to said they should be "pretty damn close."

If by right you mean he's playing semantics to downplay an important, real world issue?
Actually, the video he posted is cutting through semantics. And while there is a real-world issue, I'm pretty sure it's not served by statistical obfuscation. If you disagree, cool: feel free to click on that link and reply accordingly.

That said, I'm definitely getting the vibe now that you'd rather this conversation be over, so I'm fine leaving it there. If you decide you want to continue, feel free to pick up where it left off.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I don't think this is a fair characterization of what's going on. MattJohn has been given agency over whether the thread is open or closed, and I've personally mentioned a couple of times that I understand if they don't want to discuss it, which I hold to. But they've clearly chosen to dispute some things. Maybe they see it as a good opportunity to correct misconceptions. Maybe they see it as a good way to clarify their own beliefs. Who knows? I'm not going to cast someone as the victim when, as far as I can tell, they're choosing to have these arguments freely.
WELL, i do. she already said she mainly wanted this thread to talk about her specific journey and transition, but people keep wanting to turn it into a transgender debate thread, which wasn't the reason she started it to begin with. citizen is right, that talk belongs in a different thread. and who knows, maybe kendra would contribute to that thread, too, cause she wants ta. putting it in this thread, though, she'd feel more of an obligation to respond to everything and she shouldn't have to answer all these questions if she doesn't wanna

victim? no, that's not what i said. but i do think people expect her to have all the answers just cause of how she's identified herself - like she's expected to have all of it figured out. clearly she doesn't, but she did give lots and lots of reasons as to why she identifies as female now, which seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle with all this talk about concrete definitions and fitting people into boxes and such

Hence "almost totally synonymous," given that the thing I was replying to said they should be "pretty damn close."
"Not being synonymous" is far removed from "almost totally synonymous." There are on totally opposite ends of the "scale."

Actually, the video he posted is cutting through semantics. And while there is a real-world issue, I'm pretty sure it's not served by statistical obfuscation. If you disagree, cool: feel free to click on that link and reply accordingly.

That said, I'm definitely getting the vibe now that you'd rather this conversation be over, so I'm fine leaving it there. If you decide you want to continue, feel free to pick up where it left off.
It's cutting through semantics with more semantics. Hardly the cure for which I was looking.

"Doc, I can't quit drinking alcohol and it is killing me."

"Hmm, keep drinking it but call it water. That should do the trick."

"Not being synonymous" is far removed from "almost totally synonymous." There are on totally opposite ends of the "scale."
Given a scale of 1 to 10, "Not 10" and "10" are not opposite ends of the scale when "Not 10" can be "9".

Hey Mofos,

I figure it's time I bring you all into the fold: I identify as transgender. It was about a year and a half ago that I finally admitted it to myself, and it wasn't until now that I finally became comfortable with telling people.

I'm an open book so—if you want—feel free to ask any question. I will keep you all informed on my transition in this thread.

Cheers!!
she already said she mainly wanted this thread to talk about her specific journey and transition, but people keep wanting to turn it into a transgender debate thread, which wasn't the reason she started it to begin with. citizen is right, that talk belongs in a different thread. and who knows, maybe kendra would contribute to that thread, too, cause she wants ta. putting it in this thread, though, she'd feel more of an obligation to respond to everything and she shouldn't have to answer all these questions if she doesn't wanna
Yeah, basically, this right here.

WELL, i do. she already said she mainly wanted this thread to talk about her specific journey and transition, but people keep wanting to turn it into a transgender debate thread, which wasn't the reason she started it to begin with. citizen is right, that talk belongs in a different thread. and who knows, maybe kendra would contribute to that thread, too, cause she wants ta. putting it in this thread, though, she'd feel more of an obligation to respond to everything and she shouldn't have to answer all these questions if she doesn't wanna
I think we're getting mixed signals, then, between stated desire and behavior. But like I said, full agency: if MattJohn wants to argue, and I see some stuff I disagree with, I'll say so. If they don't want to, then I won't. It's a very personal topic and I don't think MattJohn has any obligation to defend it publicly any more than they care to.

victim? no, that's not what i said. but i do think people expect her to have all the answers just cause of how she's identified herself - like she's expected to have all of it figured out. clearly she doesn't, but she did give lots and lots of reasons as to why she identifies as female now, which seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle with all this talk about concrete definitions and fitting people into boxes and such
I think there's a pretty important distinction between having "all the answers" and reconciling what seem like really basic, mutually exclusive things. And if someone doesn't have those figured out, that's fine, too, but that would seem to preclude telling other people they're wrong, as well.

Anyway, as you said, the rest of it should go in the other thread, so I'll be happy to move any further arguments on this front there.

As Omni suggested, being NOT something does not mean "opposite." But quibbling about definitions isn't very constructive. The salient point is that both definitions have a biological basis.

It's cutting through semantics with more semantics. Hardly the cure for which I was looking.
"Here's what the data look like when you remove these huge methodological errors" isn't semantics. Please, at least skim the post in question. If you still have an objection, you're free to reply there.

"Doc, I can't quit drinking alcohol and it is killing me."

"Hmm, keep drinking it but call it water. That should do the trick."
It's more like "you told me to drink this bottle" and the Doctor saying "yeah but then you switched it for a completely differently sized bottle."

OK, I just want to say this one little thing: it's hurtful that I should have to be the bigger person and ignore people coming into MY thread about MY transition and spouting off opinions as facts. You all don't have to be in here. Just sayin'.

I can sympathize with that, but I think that's inherent to the nature of posting on a public forum, as opposed to a blog, or a private conversation, or what have you. The act itself is part invitation.

I don't think it's an invitation to be berated, or have to engage, but I don't think some simple questions, followed by "I'd rather not get into that," is particularly burdensome, given the public forum context.

That said, you've made it clear you don't want to have this discussion, and I'll gladly respect your wishes by bowing out.

Legend in my own mind
From what I have read. It seems to me like McLane feels that they want to identify as a woman/female as they feel that men/males have oppressed women/females.

I don't understand it, but if that's the reason then so be it.

I admire the courage and that it takes to discuss it openly on an internet forum.

There have been some great points raised but I do feel that the more generic thread would be a good idea.

Some interesting stuff raised. I am so ignorant when it comes to this issue.

From what I have read. It seems to me like McLane feels that they want to identify as a woman/female as they feel that men/males have oppressed women/females.

I don't understand it, but if that's the reason then so be it.

I admire the courage and that it takes to discuss it openly on an internet forum.

There have been some great points raised but I do feel that the more generic thread would be a good idea.

Some interesting stuff raised. I am so ignorant when it comes to this issue.
I admire it too, but I wouldn't cut my balls off for the cause. But that's just me.

My last reply was flip and I apologize - what I indirectly meant by the jest was: the decision to undergo transgender surgery made by John, and others who make the same, must be driven by more than simply supporting social causes.

To go to the lengths of surgery and removing or restructuring one's genitals, the desire must most likely be driven by something both physical and psychological.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
My last reply was flip and I apologize - what I indirectly meant by the jest was: the decision to undergo transgender surgery made by John, and others who make the same, must be driven by more than simply supporting social causes.

To go to the lengths of surgery and removing or restructuring one's genitals, the desire must most likely be driven by something both physical and psychological.
I dont understand the desire to amputate healthy body parts either but 1. I dont recall kendra ever confirming if her journey will go that far and 2, years ago a friend who was into suspension gave me a link to an entire subculture of people who get into amputations. I was curious so had a look. That's a totally different issue to transitioning, though, but it was discussed at length on the website that's that is psychological. I'm not a shrink so I'm undecided.

Must be doin sumthin right

And why don't we ever hear about MTF athletes losing. I don't think people need science to know what they know.
I have mixed feelings in general about transgender athletes in competition but just in reference to this statement, here's the trailblazing transgender fighter Fallon Fox getting her ass kicked by a woman

So, I still you I have 2 transgender friends as long as you are happy thats the main thing