Sooo...I'm Transgender!!

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Well, the coworkers in my department now know that I'm transgender. It went a lot smoother than I had expected, so yeah...that was a good thing.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The truth is in here
How many times CAN you change your sex?

I wonder if there's anybody who keeps flipping back - man to woman, woman to man, man to woman, woman to man, etc.

I wanna see this person if they exist. "I CHANGED MY SEX 50 TIMES!" On the next Maury.
That's the comic El Goonish Shive in a nutshell.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
OK I have a question because this came up on FB, and by male bodybuilders, not female. I dont have an opinion on this at the mo but interested in opinions. Is this fair?

http://www.dailywire.com/news/14565/...prestigiacomo#

and is it different to this

One is born a man, the other is born intersex. Does that give them a physical advantage? Just thought this would be an interesting discussion, not trying to open a can of worms.

I fluctuate between male and female at times, but I definitely feel more female.
Sure you don't mean "masculine" and "feminine"?

Originally Posted by John McClane
I got my ears pierced earlier tonight.
You don't have to be female for that.

I ended up getting my navel pierced around that time and that's when I knew for sure.
You don't have to be female for that either.

The number one reason why I know is because whenever I spent time with boys as a kid/teenager I always felt isolated and when I acted like them to "belong" (ball busting and rough housing) I felt intensely uncomfortable and uneasy. I mean, at times I was physically ill from "behaving" like a guy.
And you don't have to be female for that either.

Before now I just had a feeling something was off with me but never knew what it was or how to describe it. Then trans issues got big in the media and I started doing research and things just clicked.
And as far as genitals go...both sexes are made from the same collection of parts but just configured differently, so I have become much more aware of my gender dysphoria in this regard because what I see and what I feel do not make a "connection". Now that I know all this it has gotten much worse:
Have you considered the possibility that this "research" you did has deliberately exacerbated your self-consciousness and conveniently offered you a remedy in the form of a community label as a means to acquire the sort of class protection and privileges society renders in deference to outgroups?

Could it not be that you are merely male... who simply prefers things traditionally stereotyped as feminine?

OK I have a question because this came up on FB, and by male bodybuilders, not female. I dont have an opinion on this at the mo but interested in opinions. Is this fair?

One is born a man, the other is born intersex. Does that give them a physical advantage? Just thought this would be an interesting discussion, not trying to open a can of worms.
Well, it is a can of worms that will have to be addressed.

I remember a few years back (on another site) talking about genders and bathrooms... and people laughed at me for ruminating on a topic that the majority felt was unrealistic. They told me that such a thing would NEVER become an issue and that I was being ridiculous by "making up" these stupid slippery slope scenarios that would NEVER need to be addressed.

On a recent news show, there was a discussion about how to deal with transgendered athletes (or those who simply want to be reclassified as the gender they identify with) who may still have physical advantages of their birth gender or of their former gender if they are post surgical (some biological traits just can't be removed completely, like basic muscular structure). And the ironic thing was the activist being interviewed said it was ridiculous to even talk about such things because it will never be an issue - because right now, the issue is what bathrooms people can use who "identify" with a gender that's different than their biology.

Hey Mofos,

I figure it's time I bring you all into the fold: I identify as transgender. It was about a year and a half ago that I finally admitted it to myself, and it wasn't until now that I finally became comfortable with telling people.

I'm an open book so—if you want—feel free to ask any question. I will keep you all informed on my transition in this thread.

Cheers!!
Congratulations!
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Asimov

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Are we going to have a separate event for transgender people? Men, transitioning to women and dominating in women's events should be addressed. I for one, think it is unfair, but do people want to speak up to it? Probably not.

Suspect's Reviews

There is a lot here for me to address so I won't get to it till lunch time.

But I just wanted to say that the athletics thing is giberrish. I will get into more detail later but when a MTF athlete is on hormones any advantage they once had is gone or so severely limited that it might as well be gone.

Now the real thing to address in sports is FTM athletes who aren't allowed to compete with men and are forced to compete with women. Those athletes have a distinct and measurable advantage. They should be allowed to compete with men because they are men.

I've spoken to Yoda and Omni. I know what they think.

I'm disturbed by what John McClane's doing to himself,
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
If he has said nothing, then don't go making assumptions about his thoughts and don't assume anything about Omni's thoughts either.
Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
i don't think you should speak for other people (Yoda, Omni),
I think John McClane is entitled to do whatever they want with their own body. However you could say I'm adversarial to the idea, especially insofar as it can influence impressionable children.

One is born a man, the other is born intersex. Does that give them a physical advantage?
Yes and it's incredibly unfair

when a MTF athlete is on hormones any advantage they once had is gone or so severely limited that it might as well be gone.
that's not true and even if it were true, saying "it might as well be gone" or "limited" is not scientific enough

Even for a male who transitioned to female as a child when they weren't fully developed there is no science to say no advantage

And why don't we ever hear about MTF athletes losing. I don't think people need science to know what they know.

Yes and it's incredibly unfair

that's not true and even if it were true, saying "it might as well be gone" or "limited" is not scientific enough

Even for a male who transitioned to female as a child when they weren't fully developed there is no science to say no advantage

And why don't we ever hear about MTF athletes losing. I don't think people need science to know what they know.
I hear about losers all the time. In fact, when I watch sports, that's all I ever hear about: Duke losing to South Carolina at the NCAA tournament, Falcon's losing to Partiots at the Super Bowl, and USSR losing to USA at the 1980's Olympics.

Race Times for Transgender Athletes & Transsexuals and competitive sports. These studies illustrate two things: one, HRT affects sporting performance; and two, sporting performance is volatile and affected by morphology changes.

Are we going to have a separate event for transgender people? Men, transitioning to women and dominating in women's events should be addressed. I for one, think it is unfair, but do people want to speak up to it? Probably not.
Where are these athletes who are dominating?

Sure you don't mean "masculine" and "feminine"?

Have you considered the possibility that this "research" you did has deliberately exacerbated your self-consciousness and conveniently offered you a remedy in the form of a community label as a means to acquire the sort of class protection and privileges society renders in deference to outgroups?

Could it not be that you are merely male... who simply prefers things traditionally stereotyped as feminine?
Yes, I meant masculine and feminine. And yes, I've considered that. And no, it's not the case. And what class protections/privileges???

What purpose does it serve to call yourself transgender?
Uh, because that's what I am: transgender. My identity of who I am is different from what is on my documentation.

Why not transvestite?
Or transsexual?
Because I'm neither of those.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I think John McClane is entitled to do whatever they want with their own body.
not sure why you quoted me to say that, but, i agree with you

How do you define transgender?
With a copy of Merriam-Webster.

Transgender: of, relating to, or being a person whose gender identity differs from the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth

With a copy of Merriam-Webster.

Transgender: of, relating to, or being a person whose gender identity differs from the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth
Do you accept gender as a social construct or a biological one? If social, then by "gender identity" do you mean to identity as a stereotypical gender role?

Yes, I believe gender is a social construct. And no, gender identity does not mean that for me. I can't speak for others but I am certain many more would agree with me.