The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Predator

This film was doing really well towards the beginning, it was even in the top 10 for a while, but then less people started putting it on their lists, so it fell down to 26th.

Layout: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th (x2), 12th, 13th, 15th, 16th (x2), 17th (x2), 20th (x2), 22nd (x2)

Her

Another film from the 2010s (there were a surprising amount actually). Also the second film on the list so far to have two 1st places (the other being The Fifth Element).

Layout: 1st (x2), 3rd, 7th (x2), 9th, 12th (x2), 14th, 15th (x2), 16th, 17th, 19th, 24th

Finally the first from my top ten. I had Her at #7. Very powerful film with great visuals and one of my favourite performances from one of my favourite actors. It also won the 11th HOF i hosted.

Predator is entertaining, haven't seen it in years.

My List:

07.Her
13.Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
14.Videodrome
15.Ex Machina
16.Wreck-It Ralph
18.The Day The Earth Stood Still
21.Mad Max: Fury Road
22.Moon

Woohoo!
Predator was my #4
Been a while since I saw Her though.

Seen: 70/76
My List: 12/25

24. Interstellar - 43rd
23. Logan’s Run - 71st
22. Galaxy Quest - 88th
20. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978) - 58th
16. Silent Running (1972) - 86th
14. Sunshine (2007) - 52nd
13. Event Horizon (1997) - 93rd
11. Independence Day - 40th
06. Dredd (2012) - 96th
05. Moon (2009) - 29th
04. Predator (1987) - 26th
02. RoboCop (1987) - 28th

I like both Predator and Her, but unfortunately there wasn't room for either on my list. I was pleasantly surprised by Her when I watched it for the 11th Hall of Fame, so I'm glad it made this list as well.

Seen: 65/76
My List: 16

01. Dredd (2012) - #96
02. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #66
03. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - #35
04. The Martian (2015) - #60
08. Metropolis (1927) - #36
09. Galaxy Quest (1999) - #88
10. Brazil (1985) - #32
11. Dark City (1998) - #48
14. Robocop (1987) - #28
16. Videodrome (1983) - #53
18. Forbidden Planet (1956) - #38
19. Arrival (2016) - #33
21. The Road Warrior (1981) - #31
22. Strange Days (1995) - #81
23. Ex Machina (2015) - #30
25. Primer (2004) - #44

This is what I got left.

25. Maybe
24. Interstellar - 43rd
23. Logan’s Run - 71st
22. Galaxy Quest - 88th
21. Maybe
20. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978) - 58th
19. Maybe
18. No chance now
17. No chance now
16. Silent Running (1972) - 86th
15. Definitely Top 10
14. Sunshine (2007) - 52nd
13. Event Horizon (1997) - 93rd
12. Maybe
11. Independence Day - 40th
10. Definitely Top 10
09. Definitely, possibly even Top 10
08. No chance now
07. Definitely
06. Dredd (2012) - 96th
05. Moon (2009) - 29th
04. Predator (1987) - 26th
03. Should f-ing hope so
02. RoboCop (1987) - 28th
01. Definitely Top 10

Another of my top ten, Spike Jonze's Her was on my list at number nine. It's our need for love and connection in an increasingly digital world where even artificial intelligence may soon be a romantic pitfall. Some of my favorite sci-fi is short on special effects, none more so than Her, but what it has to say about human nature and romance and loneliness is dazzling.

MY LIST
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#27)
8. Moon (#29)
9. Her (#25)
11. Brazil (#32)
13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1956 (#46)
16. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978 (#58)
18. The Hidden (#82)
20. Ghostbusters (#57)
23. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
25. Safety Not Guaranteed (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
"What's the matter, Dillon? CIA got you pushing too many pencils?"

Predator is fun but didn't make my list, Her is very good and did.

Faildictions:
24. Planet Of The Apes (1968)
23. 12 Monkeys (1995)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
there's a couple of scenes I really liked. These ones made their point:

just checked this out; gonna hafta go searching for this one THANKS!!

Her was, of course, my number 1. Such an incredible film. Here's what I wrote about it in my Movie Log:

Her (Spike Jonze, 2013)
Imdb

Date Watched: 4/26/16
Cinema or Home: At work on my portable DVD player
Reason For Watching: I needed a Phoenix fix.
Rewatch: Yes

At its most basic, this is the story of a man who falls in love with an operating system. But what it's really about is loneliness and the struggle to connect. I think a lot of us find it hard to forge real, healthy relationships with other people. We let our anxieties and insecurities stand in our way. We're desperate to find friendship, love, and understanding but don't really know how to make those things happen. I know I've felt that way and I find a really strong emotional connection with this film.

Of course that connection could never happen without a truly great central performance and who better to take on that role than Joaquin Phoenix. As Theodore Twomley - one of Her's few characters - Phoenix carries the entire film on his shoulders and he does it with a grace, sensitivity, and humanity that few actors can accomplish. I feel every emotion that Theodore feels. It's very raw, very real, and very believable. To me, it is truly the greatest performance of his career and probably my favorite performance of anyone in any movie.

Which is not to say that the other performances in the film are lacking. Scarlett Johansson's husky, sensual voice is perfect as Samantha and she infuses her performance with a curiosity, confidence, enthusiasm and sexuality that is palpable even though we cannot see her. And the smaller roles, too, are very well done. Amy Adams does well in her quiet role as Theodore's friend and confidante. Chris Pratt is awkwardly endearing as Theodore's colleague and admirer of his work. And Kristen Wiig turns in a brief but outrageous voice performance as SexyKitten - in a bizarre scene that I'll leave for the uninitiated to discover on their own.

But as great as these performances are, they would be nothing without an exceptional director and (Oscar winning) screenplay behind them. Jonze has created something truly special. He's crafted a very human love story that isn't even about two humans. As with any Jonze film, it has its quirks, but if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and forget your notions of Siri, look past the high-waisted pants and the bushy mustache and let yourself fall in love with Her.

I haven't seen Predator in a very long time and it was never in consideration for my list.

My Ballot:
1. Her
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. Wreck-it Ralph
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. Demolition Man
9. The Fifth Element
12. Signs
13. The Road Warrior
14. The Incredibles
21. Dark City
25. Caveman

Another of my top ten, Spike Jonze's Her was on my list at number nine. It's our need for love and connection in an increasingly digital world where even artificial intelligence may soon be a romantic pitfall. Some of my favorite sci-fi is short on special effects, none more so than Her, but what it has to say about human nature and romance and loneliness is dazzling.
For me, that lil line is the epitome of Her's attraction for me. Very prolific and wonderfully emotional movie. I actually feel guilty it only made #16 for me.

Predator IS an ole time favorite and great popcorn fodder but didn't make the list for me.

My List: 17/25

#3 Serenity (#59)
#4 Gattaca (#51)
#6 Dark City (#48)
#7 Strange Days (#81)
#9 They Live (#45)
#10 Predestination (#56)
#11 Silent Running (#76)
#12 Ghost in the Machine (#64)
#15 Akira (#55)
#16 Her (#25)
#17 Brazil (#32)
#18 Time Machine (#69)
#20 Minority Report (#63)
#21 Moon (#29)
#22 Ex Machina (#30)
#23 Logan's Run (#71)
#25 The Fifth Element (#34)

Watched: 53/76

MC for the Great Underground Circus
just checked this out; gonna hafta go searching for this one THANKS!!
It's a cool movie for sure. Has some downfalls [relies way too much on Blade Runner, some characters shouldn't even be there and there's a glaring plot flaw that you'll catch], but in the whole the concepts are all there and are well developed.

It's a cool movie for sure. Has some downfalls [relies way too much on Blade Runner, some characters shouldn't even be there and there's a glaring plot flaw that you'll catch], but in the whole the concepts are all there and are well developed.
I can live with that lol
I'll definitely have this on the lookout

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Both Her & Predator would be honorable mentions for me.

Here were my thoughts on Her

Her
(Spike Jonze)

Expression of the soul.

A man struggling with connecting to women due to a recent divorce decides to get an Operating System that manages to be self aware, intuitive and lovely. He falls in love with Samantha, as she calls herself. But can a human have a real relationship with an operating system?

I loved being in this world. Jonze creates an incredible world in which he depicts a future that seems not too far away. Bright colours and fashion from our history, such as high waist pants, blends awkwardly well with the advancement of technology showcased here. Not once did I ever think that in our near, or distant future, that we would not achieve what Jonze envisions here.

All of Jonze's films are high concept, Being John Malkovich, Where The Wild Thing Are, etc...you'll see a lot of melancholy. Her fits well with his resume, but comes off as a more mature and held back piece. I was invested in the characters, more so than any other film this year. Hell, Her depicts the most honest and real relationship this year and one of them is nothing but ones and zeros. Both characters here are yearning for something more, Theodore, played by Phoenix yearns for connection. He needs to be with someone, but can't emotionally because he still wants to be with his wife. Samantha, voiced by Scar-Jo, yearns to be more than an operating system. She wants to feel, learn, be alive. This film mirrors what these characters go through, which is self discovery.

The film doesn't look at the technology as our saviour, nor does it look at it as our curse. It's simply part of our lives and the use of this allows us to examine relationships in a slightly new way. We are disconnected from people due to our devices, but we feel more connected with people because of them. The film manages to make the viewer wrestle with the question, what makes us human? Especially with an AI character and having so many people in the film walk around, in a zombie state, connected to their highly advanced devices. All the people Theodore sees in one way or another mirror him. They all have their ear pieces in, connecting with technology.

Phoenix is marvelous here. I'm not a huge fan of him, but I simply loved his performance here. I believed everything he did here and I think it had to do with his eyes. He invokes such sympathy with just his eyes, that Phoenix the actor disappears and Theodore the awkwardly emotionally detached AI lover emerges. He tries to fill his void of loneliness with the technology, as do most of the characters depicted in the film.

Amy Adams shows up as a neighbour to Phoenix and best friend. She's here to showcase to us that he is able to talk to and connect with a human being, he's not necessarily this recluse. This is a nice counter to the technology aspect. There is a brother-sister relationship here, which was crucial for the film. This helps us to see the technology as more of a tool for the characters, than simply a good or bad aspect of our future.

Her is heartfelt, funny and depressing. If your asking yourself, can a human and an OS have sex? Her answers this question, in a unique way that lets us focus on the sound and not the visuals. Her is without a doubt extremely inventive in the way it approached and handled the typical generic genre about romance and relationships. Her is one of the best films of the year and I highly recommend it.

Suspect's Reviews

I wish I had connected with Her more. It feels like ine of those movies that I'm on the outside looking in at, because everyone seems to love it. It was just okay for me.

Predator was cool as hell when I was 13, but I have not seen it since then.

Her was my #1!!!!!!!

I don't know exactly why, it just felt right when I compiled it. A masterpiece for sure, but I wouldn't call it the biggest favourites ever. But it may become just that with time. I connect with it on a weird basis and the concepts and ideas this film has are amazing. Adore it.

Predator was not on my list but I love it. Great fun.

Didn't have either movie again. Suspected Her was coming. I liked it the first time I watched it, but if you remember, it bothered me the more I thought about it. I do kinda like the surprise ending. Predator is just okay to me. Could be better with a rewatch.

I wish I had connected with Her more. It feels like ine of those movies that I'm on the outside looking in at, because everyone seems to love it. It was just okay for me.
You're not the only one. I'm also on the outside looking in I didn't like the premise of Her at all.

Predator was cool as hell when I was 13, but I have not seen it since then.
Same here, I liked it when it came out, but haven't had much desire to revisit it.

Predator is my number 6th Film From My List. I dont think my last 2 films will make it but i am certain least 4 more will make it.