Movie Tab II

Tools    

Panna a netvor [Beauty and the Beast] (1978) -
- Cocteau's surreal vision of 1946 meets De Palma's Phantom of the Paradise!!! I loved beast's psychology in this film. It's the first adaptation that made me really sympathize with the beast. I could feel his suffering. The main theme is absolutely astounding and the "beauty" is a real beauty.
I reviewed it a while back. One of the coolest looking movies I've seen. I love glowy stuffs.
Diva (1981) -
- better than Betty! The wacky plot doesn't really matter when you have such a dense atmosphere! I could almost feel orgone oozing off the screen, but the wasn't enough of it to give the movie an even higher rating! Oh, the cinematography freakin' slays!
You should check out Mortel transfert next. Made in similar style, funny, and much raunchier.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The People vs. Fritz Bauer (Lars Kraume, 2015)

Holy Joe (Larry Peerce, 1999)
+
The Prince and the Pauper (Don Chaffey, 1962)

In Order of Disappearance (Hans Petter Moland, 2014)
-

When a Norwegian snowplow driver (Stellan Skarsgård) learns that his son was murdered by local drug dealers, he decides to kill them all the way up to the mob boss.
Arrival (Denis Villeneuve, 2016)

Take a Giant Step (Philip Leacock, 1959)
+
The Sea of Grass (Elia Kazan, 1947)

Equus (Sidney Lumet, 1977)

Stable boy Peter Firth develops an unhealthy fixation on horses, blinds some and is treated by burnt-out psychiatrist Richard Burton.
Immoral Tales (Walerian Borowczyk, 1973)

Reach for Glory (Philip Leacock, 1962)

Jaws 3 (Joe Alves, 1983)
-
The Creatures (Agnès Varda, 1966)

Married couple, writer Michele Piccoli & recently-mute, pregnant Catherine Deneuve, relax in a remote village where some strange happenings seem to create another world surrounding them.
Bloodsport (Newt Arnold, 1988)
+
13 West Street (Philip Leacock, 1962)
-
Shaft’s Big Score! (Gordon Parks, 1972)
+
Elle (Paul Verhoeven, 2016)
+

Businesswoman Isabelle Huppert, whose family has a dark past, is raped but doesn’t tell anyone. She also seems to have strong misanthropic feelings and a need for physical stimulation with no concept of love.
This Park Is Mine (Steven Hilliard Stern, 1985)
+
Mark of the Devil (Val Guest, 1984)
+
Funny Face (Stanley Donen, 1957)

Traitor (Jeffrey Nachmanoff, 2008)
+

American Muslim Don Cheadle works as an arms dealer before Islamic terrorists approach him to bomb the U.S. Consulate in Paris. Meanwhile, both F.B.I. agent Guy Pearce and U.S. Intelligence contractor Jeff Daniels keep tabs on his whereabouts.

Metropolis (Fritz Lang, 1927)
Classic Rating:

I finally got around to watching this again, this time with Sarah. I'm glad I did. If you have the time and just let it wash over you (preferably the restored version with clean, clear subritles), it moves along very quickly. On the other hand, it does seem to cram in a whole lotta plot into one film, but somehow it mostly resolves itself at the end.

First off, the main reasons for watching Metropolis are the super sets, special effects and all the elements of the production design. Sometimes the camerawork appears hand-held, especially in closeups of some of the "action scenes". Then again, much as his fellow countryman F.W. Murnau did in his American film Sunrise (also 1927), Lang uses all kinds of photo and editing trickery to incorporate paranoia and disorientation; one of my fave of these is the shot of all the eyes superimposed together when the rich young men of the upper world are seduced by the "robotic" Maria and begin to fight and kill each other over her and her charms. That eye shot certainly reminded me of some of Dali's later work in films. There are so many spectacular shots, sets and effects that one could write a book detailing the creation and subliminal effect of each one, but this is not the place for that, although it would be interesting to hear some of other viewer's favorite visual flourishes.
As far as plot points go, maybe I can list a few and see what people think of each one and how they may help/hinder the overall film and what it's trying to accomplish.

1. Metropolis is a huge city where the rich and powerful have a wonderful life consisting mostly of modern technology and entertainment while the workers live underground as almost slaves and never even see the light of day. What I would like to know is whether Metropolis is supposed to be representative of an entire futuristic world, an anomoly or something parents tell their children as a bedtime story beginning with "Once upon a time... ".

2. There is a saintly woman named Maria (Brigitte Helm) who tries to pick up the spirits of the workers by telling them that a Mediator will come one day to reconcile the Hands (the workers) with the Head [the founder of Metropolis, Joh Frederson (Alfred Abel)]. Maria speaks to people in front of a group of crosses and attracts Joh's son Freder (Gustav Fröhlich) who decides that he could be the Mediator. I'm not especially up on my German, but Joh sure seems like John, so we could have the characters of John and Mary somehow coming together to "create" a Mediator named Freder, which sounds a lot like "Freedom".

3. Joh has a rival in the character of a "mad scientist" named Rotwang (Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Dr. Mabuse himself). The scientist seems similar to both Dr. Frankenstein and Dr. Strangelove. The reason Rotwang and Joh are rivals dates back to the fact that they both loved the same woman, Hel, who married Joh but died giving birth to Freder. Rotwang invents a robot which can appear human and kidnaps Maria to turn this robot into a Maria who will incite the masses.

4. The world of the workers and the way in which Joh interracts with it seems to have also inspired Charles Chaplin's use of technology and class struggle in Modern Times. I even see a strong resemblance between the appearance of the leader of Chaplin's factory and Joh Frederson. This also brings me to the concept of how the technology works in the utopian upper part of the city. Near the end, after the workers have destroyed the heart machine and power is shut off above ground, we see all the ground transportation piled up in what appears to be a freeway. We also see none of the planes and other flying vehicles in the air. This implies that all modes of transportation above ground run due to the Heart Machine and not due to something resembling gasoline.

5. The final third of the film turns into something resembling a disaster flick when the bottom levels flood and all the workers' children have to be saved by Freder, Maria and Josaphat (Theodor Loos), a man in the employ of Joh who is also Freder's good friend. Ultimately, it turns the entire film into a story about Family and how all the characters seem to believe that it's the most important thing in their lives, even if they'd occasionally rather wreak destruction, burn "witches" and have wild dancing revels while doing so.

6. I've left out many other points which almost seem superfluous but are included in the film. These include the relationship of 11811 [Georgy] (Erwin Biswanger), a worker, with Freder, and the way the Thin Man (Fritz Rasp) spies on Freder and intercepts Georgy. Both the characters of Georgy and the Thin Man were previously only discussed in intertitles because they were part of the lost footage, but now with the restoration, what they have to do with the film is much clearer. They may be incidental characters but they help to flesh out themes of friendship and mistrust.

Metropolis and Blade Runner
I realize that this is a superficial summary of some of the content of Metropolis, but I'm going to leave it at this for now since I'm still waiting for others to discuss it in more detailed or specific terms.

Care for some gopher?
Lucky Number Slevin (Paul McGuigan, 2006) -

Ocean's Eleven (Steven Soderbergh, 2001) -
+
Ida (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2013) -
+
The Sword in the Stone (Wolfgang Reitherman, 1963) -

The Road Warrior aka Mad Max 2 (George Miller, 1981)

The second Mad Max film qualifies as the best to me. The interesting thing about the trilogy is that the three films are all entirely self-contained. It's true that in the prologue of this film, there are scenes which show why Max (Mel Gibson) went mad, based on what happened in the first film, but they basically have nothing to do with what happens in this film. We are still in a post-apocalyptic world. There are remnants of civilization who are refining oil and turning it into gasoline. And then, there are the violent crazies who need the gas to perpetuate their concept of a dog-eat-dog world.

One of the reasons I like this movie the best is that it definitely has the greatest collection of oddball characters. I mean, the "good guys" even have such wackos as the Gyro Captain (Bruce Spence) and the Feral Kid (Emil Minty), and the bigtime bad guys have the Lord Humongous (Kjell Nilsson) and his truly insane, subhuman lieutenant Wez (Vernon Wells) who goes bonkers when his boyfriend bites it. This film also has the best car chases and stunts, and they're well-paced throughout the film. This is also probably the funniest Mad Max film.

Of course, the unifying factor which brings the entire film together is Max, and Gibson plays him as both world-weary and looking for a way to survive and thrive in a wasteland. Max fits comfortably between the "Good" and "Bad" sides because he knows that he has both of those characteristics within him. I'm not trying to say that people enjoy the Mad Max flix because they are deep, but, along with being a cool, entertaining popcorn flick, this one also has an intelligence about it which makes it clear that if you're looking for some meaning here, then you will probably find it.

Welcome to the human race...
The Astronauts (Walerian Borowczyk and Chris Marker, 1959) -

National Lampoon's Animal House (John Landis, 1978) -

1941 (Steven Spielberg, 1979) -

BASEketball (David Zucker, 1998) -

Cries and Whispers (Ingmar Bergman, 1972) -

King Kong (Peter Jackson, 2005) -

Autumn Sonata (Ingmar Bergman, 1978) -

Saraband (Ingmar Bergman, 2003) -

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (Jim Mallon, 1996) -

Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982) -

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Dayum, mark f, now I have to rewatch Metropolis.

I think that Metropolis is a typical dystopian futuristic city. The action takes place in the future, but obviously it's not meant to represent any time period in particular. It was relevant when it was released and it is still relevant now. Maybe now even more than ever.

"The mediator between head and hands must be the heart."
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape (Lasse Hallström, 1994)

Dear Brigitte (Henry Koster, 1965)

Winter Storage (Jack Hannah, 1949)
-
Teacher’s Pet (Timothy Björklund, 2004)
+

Talking dog Spot (Voice of Nathan Lane) dreams of becoming a real boy like Pinocchio, but his boy Leonard (Voice of Shaun Fleming) thinks he’s crazy.
The Greener Hills (Sammy Lee, 1939)

Ryan’s Daughter (David Lean, 1970)
+
Girl with Green Eyes (Desmond Davis, 1964)
-
Escape from Alcatraz (Don Siegel, 1979)

Frank Morris (Clint Eastwood) has been sent to Alcatraz after escaping from 20 other prisons, and eventually he and two brothers (Jack Thibeau & Fred Ward) attempt to escape from the inescapable Rock in San Francisco Bay.
Between Fences (Avi Mograbi, 2017)

Beverly Hills Vamp (Fred Olen Rey, 1989)

976-Evil II (Jim Wynorski, 1991)

The Quiet Man (John Ford, 1952)

”Quiet, peace-loving” John Wayne returns from America to his Irish hometown and immediately falls in love with fiery Maureen O’Hara.
Wake Up and Die (Carlo Lizzani, 1966)

Florentina Hubaldo, CTE (Laz Diaz, 2012)

Shattered (Wolfgang Petersen, 1991)
+
Chicago (Rob Marshall, 2002)
-

Murderess Catherine Zeta-Jones and others in her cell block sing about what caused them to get to prison.
Daisy Kenyon (Otto Preminger, 1947)

Roxanne (Fred Schepisi, 1987)

Enchanted (Kevin Lima, 2007)
+
Tomorrowland (Brad Bird, 2015)
+

High school student Britt Robinson uses a futuristic pin to be transported to a future that may or may not exist.

Sing Street

Reminded me of another musical from last year about chasing your dreams, but goes about that message in a very different way.

Birdman

A very flashy, energetic flick with about 13 too many monologues.

An American in Paris

A mess of a movie with a few spectacular scenes.

Get Out

Does a great job building towards some inevitable, horrible reveal, but once you get there it's kind of a let down.

Moonlight

I've seen a lot of gangster movies, but I aint never seen a gay gangster love story. As theatrical as that may sound, Moonlight actually offers up some of the most restrained and authentic acting performances I've ever seen.

The Astronauts (Walerian Borowczyk and Chris Marker, 1959) -

National Lampoon's Animal House (John Landis, 1978) -

1941 (Steven Spielberg, 1979) -

BASEketball (David Zucker, 1998) -

Cries and Whispers (Ingmar Bergman, 1972) -

King Kong (Peter Jackson, 2005) -

Autumn Sonata (Ingmar Bergman, 1978) -

Saraband (Ingmar Bergman, 2003) -

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (Jim Mallon, 1996) -

Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982) -
Did you watch the theatrical or tv cut of F&A?

And if you have seen both, what's your thoughts on the two cuts?

Did you watch the theatrical or tv cut of F&A?

And if you have seen both, what's your thoughts on the two cuts?
Theatrical. I'm not even sure how I'd go about getting the TV cut.

Care for some gopher?
Forushande The Salesman (Asghar Farhadi, 2016) -
+
Laurence Anyways (Xavier Dolan, 2012) -

Kramer vs. Kramer (Robert Benton, 1979) -
+

My Night at Maud's (Eric Rohmer, 1969):

Claire's Knee (Eric Rohmer, 1970):

Chloe in the Afternoon (Eric Rohmer, 1972):

Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952):

The Terrorizers (Edward Yang, 1986):

Starship Troopers (Paul Verhoeven, 1997):

Knocked Up (Judd Apatow, 2007):

The Four Days of Naples (Nanni Loy, 1962):

Patton (Franklin J. Schaffner, 1970):

Sex, Lies, and Videotape (Steven Soderbergh, 1989):

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (William Shatner, 1989)

Saddle Tramp (Hugo Fregonese, 1950)

The Take (James Watkins, 2016)
+
The Fifth Element (Luc Besson, 1997)

Leeloo (Milla Jovovich), a “perfect being” created from DNA of the Fifth Element, jumps out a window and lands in a flying taxi of former military commander Bruce Willis.
Jarhead (Sam Mendes, 2005)

The Gunfight at Dodge City (Joseph M. Newman, 1959)

Wake Up and Die (Carlo Lizzani, 1966)

The Truman Show (Peter Weir, 1998)

Truman (Jim Carrey) contemplates the limits of his world.
The Desperate Hours (William Wyler, 1955)

Mutant Species (David A. Prior, 1995)
+
The Roots of Heaven (John Huston, 1958)

The Dark Valley (Andreas Prochaska, 2014)

Stranger Sam Riley comes to a town in the Austrian Alps to learn about what happened there in the past which somehow had an effect on his life.
Kill and Pray aka Requiescant (Carlo Lizzani, 1967)

The Cameraman’s Revenge (Wladyslaw Starewicz, 1912)
-
The Jayne Mansfield Story (Dick Lowry, 1980)

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (Joseph Sargent, 1974)

"Gesundheit," says NYC Transit Authority police officer Water Matthau… Dum Dum Da Da Dum.
Bojangles (Joseph Sargent, 2001)
+
The Beast (Walerian Borowczyk, 1975)

Taiga Story (Vladimir Fetin, 1979)

True Lies (James Cameron, 1994)

The head (Charlton Heston) of America’s secret defense group, the Omega Sector, isn’t impressed with the recent work of two agents (Arnold Schwarzenegger & Tom Arnold).

Care for some gopher?
Heat (Michael Mann, 1995) -

Mad Max (George Miller, 1979) -

The Flying Deuces (A. Edward Sutherland, 1939) -
+

Loving (Jeff Nichols, 2016) -

Beauty and the Beast (Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise, 1991) -

Wittgenstein (Derek Jarman, 1993) -

Mulan (Barry Cook and Tony Bancroft, 1998) -

Salt (Phillip Noyce, 2010) -

Meeting People Is Easy (Grant Gee, 1998) -

Dave Chappelle's Block Party (Michel Gondry, 2006) -

Voyage of Time: Life's Journey (Terrence Malick, 2016) -

Cave of Forgotten Dreams (Werner Herzog, 2010) -

Red Sun (Terence Young, 1971) -

Care for some gopher?
The Truman Show (Peter Weir, 1998) -
+
Beauty and the Beast (Gary Trousdale/Kirk Wise, 1991) -

Pinocchio (Ben Sharpsteen/Hamilton Luske, 1940) -
+
American Graffiti (George Lucas, 1973) -
+

Recent Watches (Ranked):
Gentleman's Agreement (Kazan, 1947)-

Tickled (Farrier/Reeve, 2016)-

Sausage Party (Tiernan/Vernon, 2016)-

Daddy's Home (Anders,2015)-

Trumped: Inside The Greatest Political Upset of All Time (Bourne/Robertson, 2017)-
-

Wandering Through Wales (James A. FitzPatrick, 1948)

The Substitute 4: Failure Is Not an Option (Robert Radler, 2001)
-
Predator (John McTiernan, 1987)

The Court Jester (Norman Panama & Melvin Frank, 1955)

Crazy mistaken-identity plot involves minstrel Danny Kaye having secret plans with both witch Mildred Natwick and evil nobleman Basil Rathbone.
Possums (J. Max Burnett, 1998)

Something Beneath (David Winning, 2007)

Dracula aka Horror of Dracula (Terence Fisher, 1958)
+
Shoeshine (Vittorio De Sica, 1946)
-

Trying to save money to buy a horse, two friends (Rinaldo Smordoni & Franco Interlenghi) get involved with the black market and sent to a reformatory where they are separated.
One Sings, the Other Doesn't (Agnès Varda, 1977)

Gunmen (Deran Sarafian, 1993)
+
Komeda: A Soundtrack for a Life (Claudia Buthenhoff-Duffy, 2010)
-
Fists of Fury aka The Big Boss (Lo Wei, 1971)

Peaceful Bruce Lee must use his martial arts skills when his family members and friends disappear suspiciously after meeting with their boss.
Fifty Shades Darker (Iames Foley, 2017)

Mean Dreams (Nathan Morlando, 2016)

The Other Half (Joey Klein, 2017)

Manhattan (Woody Allen, 1979)
+

Young Mariel Hemingway is intuitively a far-wiser character than her lover (Woody Allen) and almost everyone else in Manhattan.
United Kingdom (Amma Asante, 2016)

Split (M. Night Shyamalan, 2017)

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (Peter Hyams, 2009)

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards, 2016)

Rogue One does have dueling villainous capes.

Care for some gopher?
Life (David Espinosa, 2017) -
+
Ocean's Twelve (Steven Soderbergh, 2004) -

Das deutsche Kettensägen Massaker German Chainsaw Massacre (Christoph Schlingensief, 1990) -