The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
no problems with the list and the problems, Nope!! You're doin BEAUTIFULLY, my man!!! It'll all get sorted out later, so no worries!!
Like already mentioned, this is a d@mn HARD job hosting one of these, you ARE very much appreciated for all that you do!!
THANK YOU

Have not seen Arrival but I very much am a fan of The Fifth Element. Love Besson movies, big ole crush on Milla and I absolutely love her in this, and the fact that this is tongue-in-cheek, the humor is great throughout this.
The ONLY reason this is only #25 is simply when making this list and realizing that I couldn't possibly put my usual one pointer I gave the honored position to a movie I love to watch, again and again.

My List: 13/25

#3 Serenity (#59)
#4 Gattaca (#51)
#6 Dark City (#48)
#7 Strange Days (#81)
#9 They Live (#45)
#10 Predestination (#56)
#11 Silent Running (#76)
#12 Ghost in the Machine (#64)
#15 Akira (#55)
#18 Time Machine (#69)
#20 Minority Report (#63)
#23 Logan's Run (#71)
#25 The Fifth Element (#34)

Watched: 47/68

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Brazil

Wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th (x3), 10th, 11th, 17th, 21st

The Road Warrior

Also wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 1st, 6th, 7th (x2), 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 16th (x2), 17th, 21st, 23rd, 25th

I have seen the Brazil movie and I believe I gave it
in a review, but I've never cared to watch it again. Did not vote for it.

I had The Road Warrior at #11.

I think it's probably the best Mad Max movie. I DO like Beyond Thunderdome. If Fury Road was looking for female empowerment, look no further than the goddess Tina Turner as Aunty Entity.

And Tom Hardy has NOTHING on Mel Gibson. NOTHING.

1. Source Code (2011)
2. Contact (1997)
6. They Live (1988)
11. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)
12. Back to the Future Part 3 (1990)
13. Back to the Future Part 2 (1989)
15. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
25. Coneheads (1993)

Welcome to the human race...
Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoa...

I just went back to check and somehow Brazil is not on my list. It should have made my top 10 but somehow I totally blanked on it (maybe because the idea of a horribly incompetent business-like dystopia doesn't feel like fiction anymore - zing!).

Mad Max 2 was my #25, but I'm too angry with myself about leaving off Brazil to say anything about it.

I've seen The Road Warrior a few times and like it, but it wasn't in contention for my list. Nice to see it ahead of Furry Road though.

I saw Brazil once at the movies when it came out and wasn't a fan. I generally don't care for Terry Gilliam movies.

I grew up watching The Road Warrior and have always loved it. While it does have a great story and good character development, those elements were never what made me a fan of the series. I was always there for the action and the general craziness - which is why it is only my second favorite of the series and why I was not at all bothered when the role of Max was recast for Fury Road. Still it is an excellent movie, a long time personal favorite and #13 on my ballot.

I hated Brazil.

My Ballot:
3. Wreck-it Ralph
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
8. Demolition Man
9. The Fifth Element
12. Signs
13. The Road Warrior
14. The Incredibles
21. Dark City
25. Caveman

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I only watched Brazil for the first time last year and really liked it. It's my second favourite Terry Gilliam film behind only 12 Monkeys. Although to be honest that's not saying a great deal as their are only two Gilliam films I like, period. The rest I pretty much hate to varying degrees. For the most part they're bloated, repetitive messes that seem to exist for no other reason than to allow Gilliam to indulge in his flights of fantasy and attempts at creativity. And while Brazil may have those flights of fantasy and creativity when it comes to sets, costumes, images etc I found that it also had a focus and a purpose that is generally lacking from his work.

And as I said a few days back I don't have any real affection for any of the Mad Max films and that definitely includes The Road Warrior.

Seen - 59 / 70

My List
2. The Truman Show (#94)
10. Back to the Future Part II (#42)
12. Men in Black (#61)
14. Demolition Man (#68)
15. Independence Day (#40)
16. They Live (#45)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
20. Galaxy Quest (#88)
22. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#58)
25. Gattaca (#51)

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Aside from a slight ear twitch that gif makes it look like the dog is dead and has been stuffed!

Brazil was my #4! I truly adore that film. When I watched it for the first time, I remember being completely blown away by it. This was my first impression of it at the time:

Brazil (1985)

MASTERPIECE ALERT!
This is an extremely well made movie full of imagination, breathtaking music, great directing, sometimes hilarious situations and some very sharp dialogue! I'm still shaking from the brilliance of this movie. It was astonishingly awesome!

Terry Gilliam takes us to a retro-future world lead by a very repressive government.
In the beginning of the film, we see how a man tries to kill a fly and how this fly ends up between his typewriter and because of that incident one of the automatically typed names becomes barely readable.
This little incident causes an administrative error and an innocent man gets arrested by the ministry and is later executed.
Meanwhile we meet a daydreaming bureaucrat, named Sam, who is part of an important family, but doesn't really seem to have much ambition. He has to solve the problem by handing over a refund check to the innocent man's widow to 'cover' the government's mistake. When he arrives at the apartment, he sees the 'angel girl' of his dreams (literally), who happens to live in the same building and from that moment on his sole purpose in life is to find and be with her. Because she witnessed the arrest, she forms a potential danger to the state, however, so he also has to save the girl from the bureaucratic regime.
This adventurous quest develops both in the real world as well as in his own metaphorical daydreaming world.
Will he ever find peace with the woman of his dreams in this dangerously controlled world or will his increasing problems lead to his downfall? There's only one way to find out...

If you want to go on a spectacular trip through one of the most interesting sci-fi worlds ever and meet a bunch of great characters who also happen to be funny, you shouldn't wait much longer and see this masterpiece.

I rate this movie:

being a Terry Gilliam fan I had Brazil at #17. A mandatory fit for any sci-fi list.
An excellent sequel to Mad Max, I didn't have Road Warrior on my list.

I actually feel bad about not saying more about Brazil until I read Cobpyth's and see it was said, far, far better than I could!

My List: 14/25

#3 Serenity (#59)
#4 Gattaca (#51)
#6 Dark City (#48)
#7 Strange Days (#81)
#9 They Live (#45)
#10 Predestination (#56)
#11 Silent Running (#76)
#12 Ghost in the Machine (#64)
#15 Akira (#55)
#17 Brazil (#32)
#18 Time Machine (#69)
#20 Minority Report (#63)
#23 Logan's Run (#71)
#25 The Fifth Element (#34)

Watched: 49/70

Road Warrior (the real Mad Max "Road" movie) made my list - although I had some hesitancy voting for it. I love the movie, but have to stretch to call it sci-fi. It's a dystopian future, but not one where technological advancement has been made - rather, the reverse.

On that note... Brazil is also one of my all time favorite movies, but I've never really thought of it as sci-fi. A social satire and allegorical fantasy with commentary on psychology and bureaucracy, definitely! Sci-fi? mmm...maybe. Again, it's in that grey area of dystopian future, but not one where technology has significantly advanced it to the level of sci-fi, but where things conversely seemed more antiquated in many respects.

My list so far:

3. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
4. War of the Worlds (1953)
5. Forbidden Planet
7. The Time Machine (1960)
11. Logan's Run
16. Road Warrior
17. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
22. Independence Day
23. Starship Troopers
25. District 9

Seen: 42 out of 70.

Mad Max The Road Warrior was my #23. This is what I wrote about it.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (George Miller, 1981)

About: In a dystopian, post-apocalyptic wasteland, where water and gasoline is a rare commodity...a hardened drifter, Max (Mel Gibson) appears on the scene and enters into a contract with an group of people held up in a compound. They are gasoline rich, but surrounded but murderous bandits.

We had a contract!....Max

Review
: Totally awesome. This does exactly what it's designed to do and does it better than any movie of its type. It's full of interesting characters with their own quirks. There's lots of cool and strange looking autos. But most of all it's got the coolest dude to hit a dystopian sunset...Max. Mel Gibson created one hell of an iconic figure and along with his hot rod car, the last of the V8 Interceptors and his helpful dog, he kicks sci-fi ass.

Stunts! those are a huge part of the film and let me say a well executed stunt is just as impressive as some artsy camera movement. The tanker chase down a long stretch of road has enough crazy stunts to impress anyone.

On a personal level this film holds a meaning for me...it's tenet that runs through this movie and also Beyond Thunder Dome...The cool thing about Road Warrior is that despite all of the carnage and violence, Max has a personal code of honor that he holds to and I admire that.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Again I didn't vote for either. I watched Brazil a few times back when Gilliam was fighting to get his cut released, and a few times since. I also watched The Road Warrior at the theatre when it first played in the U.S. I prefer it of the two. This was written back in 2008, long before Fury Road came out.
The Road Warrior aka Mad Max 2 (George Miller, 1981)

The second Mad Max film qualifies as the best to me. The interesting thing about the trilogy is that the three films are all entirely self-contained. It's true that in the prologue of this film, there are scenes which show why Max (Mel Gibson) went mad, based on what happened in the first film, but they basically have nothing to do with what happens in this film. We are still in a post-apocalyptic world. There are remnants of civilization who are refining oil and turning it into gasoline. And then, there are the violent crazies who need the gas to perpetuate their concept of a dog-eat-dog world.

One of the reasons I like this movie the best is that it definitely has the greatest collection of oddball characters. I mean, the "good guys" even have such wackos as the Gyro Captain (Bruce Spence) and the Feral Kid (Emil Minty), and the bigtime bad guys have the Lord Humongous (Kjell Nilsson) and his truly insane, subhuman lieutenant Wez (Vernon Wells) who goes bonkers when his boyfriend bites it. This film also has the best car chases and stunts, and they're well-paced throughout the film. This is also probably the funniest Mad Max film.

Of course, the unifying factor which brings the entire film together is Max, and Gibson plays him as both world-weary and looking for a way to survive and thrive in a wasteland. Max fits comfortably between the "Good" and "Bad" sides because he knows that he has both of those characteristics within him. I'm not trying to say that people enjoy the Mad Max flix because they are deep, but, along with being a cool, entertaining popcorn flick, this one also has an intelligence about it which makes it clear that if you're looking for some meaning here, then you will probably find it.
My List
3. The Incredibles (#98)
12. The Iron Giant (#50)
13. Altered States (#95)
14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#79)
16. Return of the Jedi (#47)
18. Gravity (#41)
23. Mad Max: Fury Road (#37)

Seen: 70/70
OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films (2010 edition): 30/70

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Road Warrior was my #1

I f*cking love everything about this movie. There is not a single flaw to grace any of its glorious 96 minutes. It is leagues above Fury Road, and it honestly comes close to making be forgive Mel Gibson for all the Jew hating stuff. This movie is the definition badass hardcore action. I love it.

Here was my review from when I first saw the film. I've seen it about 5 times since then though, and now consider it a
MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR

My expectations were set very high when I went to the theatre to watch Mad Max: Fury Road and they were met. The movie was enjoyable, and it only tried to be fun. However when I decided to watch Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, I used expectations for Fury Road, and they were surpassed. This film was a perfect mix of action, sci-fi, and fantasy, and they blended perfectly together for this film, and it much surpasses its slower paced Mad Max, and the more action-packed Fury Road.

After avenging his family's death, Max Rockatansky tries to protect an outside tribe from nomadic marauders trying to steal their gasoline. Max must deliver the gas 2,000 miles and help the tribe escape. Every single scene of this movie is completely action packed. From bikes to tankers to gyrocopters, the props and setting is used to it's fullest. Some of what makes the film hold up so well after 34 years is the use of only practical effects. CGI was not very popular when Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior was released, and I could not imagine how much more I would have hated the film if they used CGI. The practical make every crash and death look so much more real, and it helped with the immersion of the film.

I can't exactly tell you why I enjoyed this film so much more than Fury Road, because they are definitely very similar films. If I had to pick a reason, I would say that it was surprisingly how much smaller Road Warrior was in comparison. Road Warrior is definitely not a small film at all, but much smaller than current day action films. I loved the uniqueness of every shot, character, location, and line of dialog. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior is one of the greatest action films ever made, and I loved every second of it.

oh yeah, and Arrival was on my list too... but who cares about that.

MY LIST:
1. The Road Warrior (31)
3: La Jetée (75)
6. Ghostbusters (57)
8. Back to the Future Part II (42)
12: Donnie Darko (83)
13: The Truman Show (94)
14. Arrival (33)
15. The Day the Earth Stood Still (39)
16. Forbidden Planet (38)
20. Mad Max: Fury Road (37)

Whoawhoawhoawhoawhoa...

I just went back to check and somehow Brazil is not on my list. It should have made my top 10 but somehow I totally blanked on it (maybe because the idea of a horribly incompetent business-like dystopia doesn't feel like fiction anymore - zing!).

Mad Max 2 was my #25, but I'm too angry with myself about leaving off Brazil to say anything about it.
I think we all blank at some point when making these lists, Iro.
I still can't believe I forgot all about The Hidden!