Black Sails (Starz)

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Ohh great but the instruments and score were chosen by him for a reason. I'm sorry you came into this later and are unaware of all of this, Wp. Maybe you can ask about it on the forum you keep mentioning that has smart clever posters.

Ohh great but the instruments and score were chosen by him for a reason. I'm sorry you came into this later and are unaware of all of this, Wp. Maybe you can ask about it on the forum you keep mentioning that has smart clever posters.
Huh??

Late to what? Unaware of what? Totally at sea here, no idea what you are talking about, lol.

Ok, I'm sure instruments and score were chosen for a reason - I just don't like the score, that's all. Not criticising the composer - we all have different tastes and the discordant, jangly music gives me a headache.

Bear uses authentic instruments from the era. It;s not meant to be dinner party music, but to unnerve the viewer and get them ready for 'battle'.

Bear uses authentic instruments from the era. It;s not meant to be dinner party music, but to unnerve the viewer and get them ready for 'battle'.
Ok lol, since I am not a "battle" type of person, I do find the music unnerving. Maybe that's why, lol. Hate battle and fights scenes as I've mentioned before. I'm not into violence and close my eyes whenever anyone gets graphically hurt. Would much rather watch James kiss Thomas.

PS-Come to think of it, that's why I gave up on your fave Hannibal. I just couldn't stomach the violence and the way they "artistically" arranged those murdered girls. The one with the body stuck in the antlers almost made me lose my lunch. Never watched again after that.

It's very jarring. I skip the opening credits which I absolutely love, or mute the tv.

I remember you telling me you didnt like the violence in Hannibal, and the NBC creatives let Bryan get away with a hell of a lot. It was incredibly gory (but that's ok because no evil nipples, butt cracks or peens, but that's NBC for you. Actually, Bryan did manage to get one sly scene of Will's nude bum. That was just after the announcement it wouldnt be renewed so I think he was giving them the bird).

I remember you telling me you didnt like the violence in Hannibal, and the NBC creatives let Bryan get away with a hell of a lot. It was incredibly gory (but that's ok because no evil nipples, butt cracks or peens, but that's NBC for you. Actually, Bryan did manage to get one sly scene of Will's nude bum. That was just after the announcement it wouldnt be renewed so I think he was giving them the bird).
I close my eyes when the zombies are re-killed on TWD, lol! Just hate to watch that junk with the squishy sound effects.

I always wonder why Americans get so upset over sex scenes and nudity but seem to adore watching something as violent as possible. We now get splattered blood, bullets entering and exiting a body, slit throats all in slow motion and with huge close-ups just in case we miss something. Ugh..... I find it disgusting and repelling.

This is a topic I will never understand, and as you know, the same for two people of the same gender loving each other. Why skin or two men kissing melts the internet just blows my mind.

Despite my whining about how I think this show has nosedived that is not me disrespecting those who still love it. Paul Levinson, the professor of media studies who reviewed the show weekly on imdb, is still loving it and I really enjoy reading his critiques every week.

This is a topic I will never understand, and as you know, the same for two people of the same gender loving each other. Why skin or two men kissing melts the internet just blows my mind.
Yeah I agree, says a lot that people are ok with watching a guy killing another guy (sign of hate) but are totally outraged if a guy kisses another guy (sign of love). Very strange to my mind.

Despite my whining about how I think this show has nosedived that is not me disrespecting those who still love it. Paul Levinson, the professor of media studies who reviewed the show weekly on imdb, is still loving it and I really enjoy reading his critiques every week.
Gosh Dani, we all have different opinions. How can it be "disrespect" that we don't all like the same things? Imagine what a boring place the world would be if we did? As my grandfather used to say: "if it it weren't for bad taste, the colour yellow would never be seen...." Used to crack me up no end as yellow was my Mum's favorite color. [laugh]

Well as you've seen from imdb, some people think the apocalypse is coming if another person doesnt like their favourite show.

I invited that reviewer here. I hope he joins up and continues his black sails reviews.

Well as you've seen from imdb, some people think the apocalypse is coming if another person doesnt like their favourite show.

I invited that reviewer here. I hope he joins up and continues his black sails reviews.
Well unfortunately, that tendency is far from being the sole preserve of IMDb. I find that ridiculous attitude all over the place nowadays starting with mainstream media. I seem to find they (and many others) have taken to calling anyone who doesn't vote the way they like "fascists" and "Nazis". Seems to me that is the beginning of the end of democracy as we know it. Scary - very scary indeed.

Godwin's Law, you spelling nzi

Posting with permission. My cyber buddy's review of 407. Obviously there will be spoilers if not up to dte. This is by Paul Levinson who is a Professor of Communication and Media. Very nice gent.

Black Sails 4.7: Jack Rackham and Fake News
Another really excellent Black Sails last night - 4.7 - with my favorite part being Jack Rackham giving a little exposition on fake news in newspapers versus truth in books, in Philadelphia.

It was great to see the Caribbean pirate in Philadelphia anyway, coping with the cold and snow on the ground, on a mission to see Eleanor's grandfather. But his denunciation of false stories about his friend Charles Vane to a wide-eyed young woman, and her response that the truth is less captivating, was just perfect.

Also in Philadelphia, the revelation that Eleanor's grandmother wields the power was a good twist, and consistent with the ease of power exercised by her granddaughter. And it also sets one of the powerful pieces against Flint, with Rackham off to kill him against all odds. History says Rackham won't survive and Stevenson says Flint will, but you never know.

And Rackham is just one of the big players now suddenly arising in an alliance against Flynt. Billy and Rogers are now working to together towards this end, and even Long John could (but likely won't) pivot away from Flynt. Madi surviving has changed Long John again (a reader pointed out to me that in Treasure Island, Long John is said to be married to a woman of "color," so it looks like Stevenson's story holds sway again as a postscript to Black Sails). As we see in coming attractions, if Flynt's plan to rescue Madi doesn''t succeed, then Billy's plan to use Madi to divide Flynt and Long John may well pay off. (But there was something thrilling in hearing Flynt talk about "sacking Boston," wasn't there? Or maybe that's just me as a New York Yankee fan talking.)

But back to Jack - that kiss he gave Ann sure looked final, didn't it? I hope not, but ...

The best part of the episode was Jack and Grandma. Awesome!

Do you know the name of the actress? She was really good. She looks familiar but I cant think where I've seen her.

I think her name is Harriet Walter. I've never heard of her but she had good press on other places I went to. Maybe she's well known in the U.K?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0910040/?...tfc_fc_cl_t122

I think her name is Harriet Walter. I've never heard of her but she had good press on other places I went to. Maybe she's well known in the U.K?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0910040/?...tfc_fc_cl_t122
Thanks. She was in The Crown which is where I know her from.

408. Best looking episode of the season, and the brothel madam is back. She and the grandmother are possibly the only women in this that now engage me. Oh, and the young bosomy whore with the dark hair who became a chamber maid,

2 to go.

Finally saw episode 8. Gads for one heart-stopping moment there
WARNING: spoilers below
I thought they'd slit Silver's throat....
. Who is the guy who Is helping Flint, btw? Have we seen him before?

Yeah, I love Grandma - she's awesome.

So sorry this is almost over. What other TV show gives you so many hot guys all in one series?